scumble background colour

Featured Posts

I have a tin of Radcliffe's oil based scumble in light oak, it says use with number 2 undercoat, which I take to be chrome buff no.2. Can get this mixed locally but can't find the RAL number or an equivalent name for it. Any ideas?

Hi Crossley

I'm not sure whether your scumble is oil or water based, if the former you own a rare example of an extinct species!

Don't worry overmuch about the exact shade to correspond with Chrome Buff, it is simply a cream coloured undercoat, any trade undercoat will serve. If the scumble is water based then a water based undercoat is best, if oil based then a similar undercoat.

You may wish to experiment with undercoat shades, I've always found the chrome buff to give quite a pale anemic effect when grained, I prefer a rich yellow undercoat which gives a suggestion that " The oil lamp is lit before it is ", but that's only my personal preference as a boat decorator. Also, if it's oil based, don't be afraid to add white spirit to thin the stuff in the tin down to an almost watery consistency or you'll find the job almost impossible if using it straight from the tin!

Happy to talk you through options, PM me for contact numbers.

Dave

In case anyone is wondering, I am now in direct touch with Crossley. I'm always happy to help with queries regarding traditional decoration, lettering etc. The only medium I've no experience of is the water based scumble now available, I still use oil based stuff.

Cheers

Dave