What do you think?

Glennbrown

Featured Posts

The comment was particularly interesting about the 'hidden oil tank'

I wonder who will be the first boater to come up with a cunning plan on similar lines.......

Not me I hasten to add - 100% legal all the way.

Edited by RichardH

The comment was particularly interesting about the 'hidden oil tank'

I wonder who will be the first boater to come up with a cunning plan on similar lines.......

Not me I hasten to add - 100% legal all the way.

What video were you watching? Definately nothing about any hidden oil tank.

Ever since I bought my first gallon of petrol, it has always upset me that our government has been allowed to STEAL so much money.....compared to the rest of the world. WHY we allow this is beyond my comprehension.

I never used to drive with economy in mind, but have known for many years how to increase performance by not carrying 'junk' around. Didn't have anything but seats in my cars for years, and that included most of the trim.

Not quite so important with modern cars with cam belts, and electronics, but every year I changed the points, condenser, plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm when the prices dropped in the mid 70s. Just spending these few pounds kept my fuel consumption above 30odd mpg, despite NOT altering my driving style.

This is however the largest contribution you can make. As I had to adapt to get the most out of every drop in the early 90s, I studdied the driving statistics of those in competition. One of the largest contributions is to not use your brakes. An engine converts heat to mechanical energy. Brakes convert mechanical energy to heat. So everytime you use your brakes you waste fuel.

Just driving a few yards (the proper distance behind other vehicles) instead of 'bumper hugging' as almost everyone does, and slowing for corners instead of braking for them is one of the largest contributions to mpg figures. The exception of course is if you follow large vehicles fairly closely on motorways for long periods of time......but this of course has it's own hazards, is tiring and requires excellent reactions, as well as brakes :lol:

I'm sure the bike racing lads will know, but I believe every 12lb requires 1 horsepower. This is why racing cars/bikes are as light as possible. So the smaller and lighter the vehicle the better.....within reason of course.

Yet to view it but I particularly like the top video. As I've STILL only dialup, yet to get this 'new' computer to work, I still have to choose my viewing.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/426425/how_t...e_bomb_for_fun/

Load of rubbish! How can adding a tiny amount of acetone change the amount of fuel an engine uses? Obviously it's supposed to look genuine because all the initial stuff mentioned like removing excess weight and maintaining the correct tyre pressures does make a difference. Why do people bother making these videos?! :lol:

Well I tried it and it made no difference. Pure acetone is readily available from GRP suppliers, it's used for cleaning the resin off tools before it sets.

They also tried this on Mythbusters (Sky 520) and it actually made the MPG worse.

On my gas guzzling 4x4 it's huge tyres never look low, but when I started to check them my fuel consumption went down from 17mpg to 21 mpg. Economy beyond the dreams of Avarice!

Why do I drive a 4x4? Because I can :lol: