Which anchor?

MtB

Featured Posts

I'm sure we should have an anchor on board but due to continued confusion about what to get, we still don't have one, so I'm asking the board for advice.

What style and weight of anchor would be approriate for our 40ft tug-style narrowboat? The most risky waters we are likely to enter would be the Thames when we eventually do the Grand Union/Oxford canal ring.

All advice most welcome.

Cheers, Mike

I'm sure we should have an anchor on board but due to continued confusion about what to get, we still don't have one, so I'm asking the board for advice.

What style and weight of anchor would be approriate for our 40ft tug-style narrowboat? The most risky waters we are likely to enter would be the Thames when we eventually do the Grand Union/Oxford canal ring.

All advice most welcome.

Cheers, Mike

I am sure that the narrowboat owners' Hnadbook has a list of advised masses and types. I will have a look when I get home.

Nick

All advice most welcome.

Cheers, Mike

Here is one of those anchor weight guide tables http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/technical/anchorguide.htm but as with most info on this subject it's more for yachts.

John

nine9feet

How strong are you? Just get the heaviest one that you can lift (with its chain attached)

That isn't particularly good advice.

If you can lift an anchor heavier than you need, you will just be wasting money and deck space on an over large anchor.

If the heaviest anchor you can lift isn't big enough, it's a waste of time buying it.

Check the tables. If you can't lift the anchor size you need, consider the next anchor size down, but add twice the missing weight in chain (preferably by using thicker chain, rather than longer chain)

Yeah, there are many past threads.

- But to summerise, you need a bigger anchor than most people seam too end up buying.

- And you need a line around three times the depth of the deepest water you will in counter. Shorter if you use all/part chain.

Daniel