Flue collar repair

Featured Posts

Personally given the risk of CO and the heat involved which precludes the use of most expoxys I'd be looking to replace the part properly rather than attempting a repair

What type of stove is it? Do you have a pic of what's broken?

Cheers

Gareth

Personally given the risk of CO and the heat involved which precludes the use of most expoxys I'd be looking to replace the part properly rather than attempting a repair

What type of stove is it? Do you have a pic of what's broken?

Cheers

Gareth

It's a Puffin, I think. It's the fitting at the top of the fire that the flue sits in - part (not all) of it has just disintegrated with combined heat and rust. The seal's still ok at the moment, it just needs some more metal round it to hold the fire cement. Edited by Arthur Marshall

It's a Puffin, I think. It's the fitting at the top of the fire that the flue sits in - part (not all) of it has just disintegrated with combined heat and rust. The seal's still ok at the moment, it just needs some more metal round it to hold the fire cement.

Think I'd still be tempted to replace.....I suppose you could source a new fitting.....cut it in half and then weld it back together in situ to save disturbing the rest of the flue....or as a very temporary measure use a big jubilee clip or similar banding......I think that or a similar "temporary" repair might well fail a BSC inspection.

Cheers

Gareth

A temporary botch could be effected if you have a piece of thin sheet metal, steel, brass, aluminium. Snip to width and about 4'' oversize in length. Bend it around the collar and bend outwards the ends like tabs and punch or drill a couple or three holes through them. Slap a good helping of Silicon, fire cement, Gun Gum ect on it, like a Kaolin Poltice and apply around the wound and secure up tight with screws and nuts through the holes to squeeze the Goo up into the wound. Finish by filling and smearing more goo into any gaps and again after the fires been lit.

Then get a new collar as soon as possible.

On the Puffin, the collar is welded onto the stove. To fit a new one I'd have to cut the rest of it off - how do you then secure the new collar? Is it bolted on or just sealed? I'm not absolutely sure that I really need to do this and that some additional steel bolted round it won't be enough. it's only the top inch of the collar that's completely gone, and it's more that it's split as it's thinned and the fire cement has expanded - there's only a 5mm gap, if that.

Is this collar the bit you need? As it's sold as a spare are you sure it's welded in.

K

http://www.aradastovesandspares.com/category_list.php?brand=VIL&brandname=Villager Stove Spares&stovetype=M&category=MS

That bit doesn't fit, apparently. But a good site, so thanks - very helpful people. It seems the collar twists on with a couple of lugs rather than being welded, and they may have spares as long as mine isn't a weird size which was made specifically for Midland Chandlers... Which I suspect mine was. Hey ho.

Is this collar the bit you need? As it's sold as a spare are you sure it's welded in.

K

http://www.aradastovesandspares.com/category_list.php?brand=VIL&brandname=Villager Stove Spares&stovetype=M&category=MS

Accopding to the maker, none of the Puffins had the collar welded on, so it's probably just rust and about fifteen odd years of usage makes it look that way. They're sending a new collar and it'll be interesting to see if it fits.

• 2 weeks later...