Muskham Ferry - River Trent

Featured Posts

Most big rivers were crossed by ferries at points that are now obsolete as crossings but signs of their existence remain. Of course commonly this would be a pub, called 'The Ferry', the Trent is no exception and must have a few I guess.

this is the site of the former crossing at Muskham, literally a minute from the A1.

DBqbF3Gh.jpg

The pub has (floating pontoon) moorings for six boats. None moored when we visited.

jkz5bRzh.jpg

Pub was shut when we visited so no idea if it's any good or not.

sV7HQXrh.jpg

Both landings can be seen in this picture along with the tree on the far side which is reputed to be the spot where you waited for the ferry.

xDdGLIRh.jpg

Looking down river towards Cromwell.

nIJI4Bnh.jpg

I used to live just up the road from there. If you are looking for a decent pub then I can recommend the Plough in Norwell. Not on the river and a fair walk if boating but if driving well worth a visit!

Yes we actually had a pint in the Plough on Friday. It was full of locals who were eating which is always a good sign. Not dog friendly unfortunately but it was just warm enough to sit in the sun outside and enjoy a pint.

A 'proper' village pub.

Edited by MJG

Further towards Keadby there were ferries at Owston Ferry, West Butterwick and Althorpe. At low tide you can still remains of wharves and jetties there. At Owston Ferry there was an annual Regatta which was still in existence up into tne 1930s. A steam packet boat ran from Gainsborough up to Burton and Barrow. If you ever get the chance to visit the old smithy at Owston Ferry theres lots of information about sailing and trade on the river there.

Edited by tillergirl

Yes we actually had a pint in the Plough on Friday. It was full of locals who were eating which is always a good sign. Not dog friendly unfortunately but it was just warm enough to sit in the sun outside and enjoy a pint.

A 'proper' village pub.

Yes the lack of dog friendliness was it's only let down.

Food used to be very much as advertised. Not pretending to be anything it wasn't just decent "pub grub".

The moorings there are less than ideal,

They are far too short for a boat over about 40 foot

They are sideways to the flow / current

They are very wobbly / lateral movement (being side ways to the current, heavy steel boats have made them loose)

The water is not very deep - we cannot get onto them

Handy for small (under 30 foot) Tupperware stopping for a G&T.

They are very wobbly / lateral movement (being side ways to the current, heavy steel boats have made them loose)

They did indeed look in poor condition, you can see how badly distorted one section is in my photo. I am not sure I would want to rely on them if there was a very strong flow on that section and I was on a longish steel NB.

I would worry about them rising with the river level, it's not unknown for poorly maintained floating pontoon moorings to jam with the inevitable consequences.

The last round of floods did see some boats pulled torn from their moorings complete with the floating pontoon they were tied to, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened here at some point TBH. I don't think they are CRT though, they look like the pub own them.

Edited by MJG

They did indeed look in poor condition, you can see how badly distorted one section is in my photo. I am not sure I would want to rely on them if there was a very strong flow on that section and I was on a longish steel NB.

The last round of floods did see some boats pulled torn from their moorings complete with the floating pontoon they were tied to, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened here at some point TBH. I don't think they are CRT though, they look like the pub own them.

My understanding is - nowt to do with C&RT - they are outside of the main navigable channel. (You don't even need a licence !!!)

Even in a 'low' flow situation, a 60 foot boat tied 'across' the flow to a 30 foot pontoon exerts a tremendous lateral force on the hinge points.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

We tied up without incident in our 57' leisure boat a couple of years ago. The pub is definitely worth a visit. I remember thinking that if I returned, or was in a full length boat, I would run the boat up the bank immediately upstream of the last pontoon at the upstream end, which would gain you a good 10' of "extra" mooring. Three other narrow boats were there when we were, and none had any difficulty. Water levels and flow were pretty benign at the time though.

I'm enjoying your river travels by land Martin - keep it up!

I've often found boating is not always the best way to visit a navigation...

That's it for now I'm afraid.

We are back home now.

I found the moorings fine when we moored there last summer if you use the mooring pontoon on the upstream end drive the bow right up to the bank tie off and hit the pub. Pontoons are a bit on the narrow side but plenty strong enough. We actually had 2 boats brested up a 63' deep draft modern boat and my 70 converted Josher that draws about 2' 6" at the bow.

No problems at all. The pub was great and the food was good with friendly staff.

I found the moorings fine when we moored there last summer if you use the mooring pontoon on the upstream end drive the bow right up to the bank tie off and hit the pub. Pontoons are a bit on the narrow side but plenty strong enough. We actually had 2 boats brested up a 63' deep draft modern boat and my 70 converted Josher that draws about 2' 6" at the bow.

No problems at all. The pub was great and the food was good with friendly staff.

Maybe the pontoons became overstressed after your visit. They were certainly laterally very loose last summer when we tied up out 45ft NB.

I mention the depth as with out Cruiser ( with a 4 foot draft) we cannot get anywhere near.

Maybe the pontoons became overstressed after your visit. They were certainly laterally very loose last summer when we tied up out 45ft NB.

I mention the depth as with out Cruiser ( with a 4 foot draft) we cannot get anywhere near.

That must be it!