Adapting Lister for Morse Control Split from ; Lister SR2 air-intake fabrication

parlez

Featured Posts

Hey guys new on here so wasnt sure where to post but saw you were talking about sr2s, just picked up a narrowboat with an sr2 in, but i'm struggling to find out the best way to adapt the throttle for a morse. It came with a morse and 33c cables but it has an original lister throttle cable, I can see that nobag's is using 33c cables and i'm trying find the way around it talked to sleeman and to lister and no one seems to have an answer any help would be appreciated ive added a couple of pictures ( promise i don't keep my engines in this condition as i said only just picked it up!)

Cav

IMG_3091-e1455655001719.jpg

Edited by parlez

Hey guys new on here so wasnt sure where to post but saw you were talking about sr2s, just picked up a narrowboat with an sr2 in, but i'm struggling to find out the best way to adapt the throttle for a morse. It came with a morse and 33c cables but it has an original lister throttle cable, I can see that nobag's is using 33c cables and i'm trying find the way around it talked to sleeman and to lister and no one seems to have an answer any help would be appreciated ive added a couple of pictures ( promise i don't keep my engines in this condition as i said only just picked it up!)

Cav

IMG_3091-e1455655001719.jpg

I presume you have an easy change gearbox (like a Lister LH150 that is capable of being connected to a combined short lever Morse control? If you have a manual box with a big forward and reverse gear lever sticking up I'd keep the old Lister throttle control.

Hey Blizzard thanks for the reply

It's got a separate gear lever sticking up which i'm planning on keeping, but it doesnt have the original throttle was planning on using the morse just for throttle and keep the gear separate. £160 for an old ratchet lever and cable seems excessive, personally i would prefer to spend that on using the morse.

one of our fleet at work has an armstrong sidley with a ratchet throttle and gear lever and after driving it all summer i'd prefer something a bit nicer haha.

Hey Blizzard thanks for the reply

It's got a separate gear lever sticking up which i'm planning on keeping, but it doesnt have the original throttle was planning on using the morse just for throttle and keep the gear separate. £160 for an old ratchet lever and cable seems excessive, personally i would prefer to spend that on using the morse.

one of our fleet at work has an armstrong sidley with a ratchet throttle and gear lever and after driving it all summer i'd prefer something a bit nicer haha.

I don't see why a bike brake cable can't be fixed up to a Morse control, you would need suitable little cable collars, small screws and nuts, bits of strip with holes in to clamp the outer cable and hold it still and a return spring at the engine linkage end. Meccano bits are good for this kind of thing, or a good bicycle shop should have bits and pieces that'd do the job.

I used to have this set up and drowned the reduction box once, you need to change the oil in this and the main box at least twice to remove any trace of water as soon as possible. I did not do this quickly enough and ended up having a very expensive set of replacement bearings due to corrosion - some were specials and not easy to find at the time.

The output shaft seal did not leak oil but let water into the drop box when covered about 6" deep!