Lister HA/2/ Blackstone gearbox oil

neil

Featured Posts

What gearbox oil would you recommend for a Blackstone gear box? have been using and topping up with EP80/90 grade hydraulic oil to the 1/2 fill mark on the dipstick as recommended by the previous owner, as there are known issues i believe of the hydraulic oil contaminating the engine oil sump i believe

Im sure that I read somewhere that it was possible to replace the hydraulic oil with a certain grade of engine oil, ive tried to find that post without success. Im wondering if anyone would know what this replacement is and any thoughts on the matter. Best regards Neil

Many thanks for your prompt reply Richard, I am currently adding a little gearbox oil almost every time I run the engine and obviously have a small leak, I have employed the services of a competent mechanic who is not familiar with the Blackstone box and we have been looking through your "whats in the box" so iI am very grateful for your input.

Best regards Neil

It goes the other way - engine oil can drain into the reduction box contaminating the oil

Do what you are doing

Richard

It can go both ways- before the rebuild mine was loosing significant gearbox oil to the engine but the gearbox oil stayed clear. Now sufficient engine oil has made it into the gearbox to blacken it, but the level is stable.

I use Morris's SAE 90 (not EP).

MP.

If you can wait, I have a Blackstone reduction box to dismantle in the next couple of weeks

Richard

Most certainly Richard, I've given my mechanic quite a list of tasks to undertake and I expect it to be a long learning curve. Thanks again

Regard Neil

It can go both ways- before the rebuild mine was loosing significant gearbox oil to the engine but the gearbox oil stayed clear. Now sufficient engine oil has made it into the gearbox to blacken it, but the level is stable.

I use Morris's SAE 90 (not EP).

MP.

Thats interesting, thankyou MP

I use Morris Golden Film SAE 50 engine oil in my Blackstone 3G reduction box as per the lister manual.

Talking to Morris oils they reckon that the viscosity of SAE 50 is about the same as EP80/90.....I'm not convinced! I was advised against using an EP oil as the EP additives can eat the phosphor bushes in the reversing box

Mine did use to gain oil into the reduction box from the reversing box but I had a double lip seal fitted which seems to have solved the issue....also check the alignment between the reduction box and the reversing box....they can leak if not square to each other....mine had lost the spacers on the lower bolts and the washers that were being used instead made it enough out of true to cause a problem.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

I use Morris Golden Film SAE 50 engine oil in my Blackstone 3G reduction box as per the lister manual.

Talking to Morris oils they reckon that the viscosity of SAE 50 is about the same as EP80/90.....I'm not convinced! I was advised against using an EP oil as the EP additives can eat the phosphor bushes in the reversing box

Mine did use to gain oil into the reduction box from the reversing box but I had a double lip seal fitted which seems to have solved the issue....also check the alignment between the reduction box and the reversing box....they can leak if not square to each other....mine had lost the spacers on the lower bolts and the washers that were being used instead made it enough out of true to cause a problem.

Cheers

Gareth

Thank you Gareth,, this is really increasing my knowledge base

Why use Morris's engine oil rather than AG90 gear oil, which doesn't have EP additives?

Cheers

Gareth

Such misalignment would also affect one or both of the bearing races on the mainshaft and the meshing of the reduction gears, both which could be bigger problems than oil leaks.

I had problems with the threads on the bottom mounting bolts stripping due to historical corrosion of the aluminium casing, which caused misalignment. When I dismantled it all, the bearing race between the two gearboxes was very badly worn.

MP.

Why use Morris's engine oil rather than AG90 gear oil, which doesn't have EP additives?

Because the Lister manual for my JPM says use SAE 50 in the reduction box….and after spending rather a lot of cash getting it right I thought it best to use what the makers intended!

I don't know if different oil is specced for the 2G reduction box

Cheers

Gareth

Because the Lister manual for my JPM says use SAE 50 in the reduction box….and after spending rather a lot of cash getting it right I thought it best to use what the makers intended!

I don't know if different oil is specced for the 2G reduction box

Cheers

Gareth

A quick look through the book I have doesn't find any spec for the reduction box oil. I wonder where I got SAE90 from? I have a feeling that someone posted on hear that SAE90 gearbox oil is the same viscosity as SAE50 engine oil.

MP.

A quick look through the book I have doesn't find any spec for the reduction box oil. I wonder where I got SAE90 from? I have a feeling that someone posted on hear that SAE90 gearbox oil is the same viscosity as SAE50 engine oil.

MP.

Here's a pic of the relevant page

654a526d3b7e3b85617e3224c7dc2c87_zpswhcf

This is referring to the 3G box though as fitted to JP2 & JP3 and possibly the FR 4

Cheers

Gareth