Morso Offset Flue Kit for Squirrel Stove

Zoeb

Featured Posts

By off-set I assume you mean using two 30 degree bends to crank the flue over from the stove?

I did mine like that with single skin to about a foot below the roof and then double skin through the roof.

You will need an angle grinder with a slitting disc to cut the single wall and best not to cut the double wall.

When fitting the bits together the male part of the joint should be down so that any gunk on the inside will run past the joint and not leak out.

Some links that may help you.

http://salamanderstoves.com/product/canal-boat-small-stove-kit/

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/solid-fuel-stoves/new-stove-new-chimney/

http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf

While a lot will debate twin vs single skin flues, and the overall installation needs to be taken into account, our squirrel makes use of cast drain pipe and a pair or 135 bends, bonded together with high-temp silcon. It works very well.

Daniel

I helped my neighbour reassemble and repair it after he had accidently caught the top part of it on a low bridge!! Apparently his first Morso kit was faulty as morso had come out, took out the chimney and installed the new version. Then 3 weeks later he clouted it on a low bridge. Unfortunately the old and new versions were not compatible with each other as he was hoping his old top part would of fitted with the new flue below the collar. I managed to cut damage off the new chimney and refit the cowl.

It's a very simple design, Each pipe slots into each other, making sure the socket is uppermost, to prevent tar leakage, alight the components to required angles and simply tighten the black ring clamps to lock in all in place.

The worst bit from doing it from scratch would be working out the hole through the roof and collar location and stove flue outlet. What I would do is do a scale drawing of the stove top and flue outlet, Place on hearth and then use the flue loosely assembled, place bottom of flue outlet on drawing and alight the flue components until happy with angles/clearance to walls etc and draw the centre of the flue on the boat ceiling as a quide to drill out the roof for the collar.

As said though only a recommendation.

If you really want an insulated flue buy a normal one for a new house chimney. Probably very cheap off ebay but remember to buy the same brand so it's all compatible with each other.

You would need an appliance connector to twinwall or a short piece of single wall flue pipe then single wall to twinwall adapter, piece of twinwall from adapter to 6 inches above roof, then 2 pieces of twinwall, one short for cruising and one longer when moored and a cowl.

My idea was to not bother with the flue collar but to drill a circular hole in the roof a bit bigger than the twinwall flue then have welded a 50mm steel band upstand welded around the twinwall to act as a flashing. The flue section from the flue adapter/ appliance adapter would protrude just above this upstand and be sealed in with heat proof silicone then a storm collar installed over the joint. Then you would attach either your cruising chimney section or moored section with cowl.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

What are the benefits of an offset flue, is it to increase draw?

In my case the back of the stove was close to the side of the boat and the flue exits the stove at the back rather than the top, so it needed to off-set to both give some clearance between the flue and the side lining, also taking into account the tumblehome of the sides.

As to "flue draw" according to the regs it makes it worse which is why you are now limited to a max of 2 off 30 degree bends. - As well as a single 90 degree bend if the flue comes out the back of the stove rather than the top.

In my case the back of the stove was close to the side of the boat and the flue exits the stove at the back rather than the top, so it needed to off-set to both give some clearance between the flue and the side lining, also taking into account the tumblehome of the sides.

As to "flue draw" according to the regs it makes it worse which is why you are now limited to a max of 2 off 30 degree bends. - As well as a single 90 degree bend if the flue comes out the back of the stove rather than the top.

Thank you, Chewy.