240V fridge on 12V?

Bro

Featured Posts

Fridge compressors are available as 240V ac. or 12/24V dc. so ............... can a 240V ac. fridge compressor be readily adapted to run on 12V dc?

I'm told many 240V ac. electrical contraptions such as TV's can be made to run on 12v dc. hence the reason for the question. I suspect the answer is no but I'm purely clockwork and the electrickery stuff I leave to others.

Fridge compressors are available as 240V ac. or 12/24V dc. so ............... can a 240V ac. fridge compressor be readily adapted to run on 12V dc?

I'm told many 240V ac. electrical contraptions such as TV's can be made to run on 12v dc. hence the reason for the question. I suspect the answer is no but I'm purely clockwork and the electrickery stuff I leave to others.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80246&hl=12+volt+fridge

No, but 12 volts DC can be made to provide 240V AC by using an inverter. However that is far from permission to run all your mains stuff off your batteries. Try that and you are likely to end up with damaged batteries PDQ. Put some effort into understanding the problems and issues.

Some (a few) small mains TVs might use a lug top power supply that delivers 12 to 14 Volts to the TV. Those TVs would work off the batteries with a suitable lead BUT they might not take over kindly to voltage pulses caused by motors etc. turning on and off.

If you want optimum battery life you can not afford to leave the electrickery stuff to others, as you will see if you read some of the battery problem questions on here.

and as to TV's 240v ac working from 12v dc, the TV's having a 'brick' either in the supply lead or internally may run on a different voltage and that may be, for example 12v ac.

Much better to buy and run the equipment at the voltage etc. it was designed for.