On the Thames

Maffi

Featured Posts

CanalplanAC suggests this will take just under 31 hours, so especially now we've got lighter evenings four days looks entirely possible.

I've done Reading - Teddington in a day and also Reading - Oxford in a day........but they involved early starts/late finishes and a certain amount of DIY locking.....I think you could do it sensibly in three, and four would be positively leisurely...... :lol:

Hi Maffi,

whilst not entirely relevant, I have slogged up the Thames from Oxford to Lechlade (yesterday and today) and have achieved little more than 2 MPH against a strong flow - using revs that would 'put up a wake' on a canal. It throws all the CanalPlan AC calcs awry. My understanding is that the lower Thames is still on the receiving end of fast flow whilst the upper end is subsiding. Phew! if that was subsiding!!! I took a wrong line through a corner and was spun around!!!!

We are off yellow boards at Teddington now , and the river is slowly subsiding ..... although there is still a fair quantity of water coming down.

Couldn't comment on the flow on the upper reaches , but in the summer months we usually tell people that Teddington to Oxford could be done in 4 days. Shepperton is about 3 hours upstream of Teddington so you have a 3 lock head start .

If you have a Thames User Guide ( can be picked up at any lock , ask the keeper ) it has all the phone numbers of all the locks in it, give them a buzz and ask them about the water levels and flow.

Good luck , hope it goes well , nice to meet you when you came through Teddington the other day !! :cheers: