Narrowboat Furniture

Gillie

Featured Posts

We are looking for a sofa ..or 2 bed chairs for our boat..I have found 3 narrowboat furniture stores...

Wilsons of Kinver

Elite furnishings

and Kinver boat services

Does anyone know of any other suppliers of furniture??

We idealy want a storage sofa bed that will open up across the boat..but so far without any success...

anyone here have one?.... and if so where did you get it!!

Gillie :lol:

Hi I have bought from elite furnishings in the past, they make everything to measure and also supplied all my cushions and curtains to match. Of all the narrowboat furniture manufacturers that I looked at, elite had the best looking furniture, well finished and by far the easiest to use. I would visit there work shop as they have a lot of fabrics to choose from and I believe chris has a bit of a designer background and was very helpfull with putting the colour combinations together. There names are Chris & Glen a lovely couple.

Try this link not to good at this sort of thing

Click here!salisbury_thumb.jpg

Hi I have bought from elite furnishings in the past, they make everything to measure and also supplied all my cushions and curtains to match. Of all the narrowboat furniture manufacturers that I looked at, elite had the best looking furniture, well finished and by far the easiest to use. I would visit there work shop as they have a lot of fabrics to choose from and I believe chris has a bit of a designer background and was very helpfull with putting the colour combinations together. There names are Chris & Glen a lovely couple.

Try this link not to good at this sort of thing

Click here!salisbury_thumb.jpg

Me too. I have a lovely big squishy sofa of theirs and i love it and have had it for years. Also as Bazza said, its nice to be able to go see it, and buy it straight away.

Obviously some of the stuff can be a bit crap like anywhere really...but what you see is what you get. I always have a good prod and look things over as much as i can.

Also you cant beat them for baskets, candles and all the 'nice bits and bobs' that you dont really need but cant resist!! :lol:

I can't agree more. I got the very swedish looking laminated chairs that someone mentioned earlier for my boat. In fact, Ive had those for the past 6 years. Very hard wearing, very stylish, very comfy, very cheap, and all flatpacked so very easy to carry down the towpath!

Bollox to the snobbery, Ikea rocks man!!! and the candles are cool too!

We have a sofa bed from elite furnishings as well. Very comfy too by all accounts.

The only thing that dissapointed me was that they got the cushion pattern wrong as we wanted to include a fabric we intended to have the curtains made from. They said they would re-do them but never did, despite several phone calls, so we never ordered the curtains, but I can't fault their workmanship, delivery, fitting etc, just the after sales.

In my experience, Ikea stuff tends to start falling to pieces pretty quickly, but I do have two young sons. If your lifestyle is a bit more gentle then maybe it's okay. I've repeatedly had to take things back and have them exchanged. Maybe Ikea beds are okay (as someone suggested above), but items with moving parts don't seem too durable.

Not intending to suggest anyone's bed has no moving parts, btw!

:lol:

For the sort of person who simply gets fed up of everything after 12 months, throws it out and starts all over again then Ikea or their contemporaries are for you..

So often I have been browsing around furniture shops and even antique type shops, my eyes have alighted on pieces of furniture which shout NARROWBOAT at me, it is not only boaters who need good quality compact furniture, there are those who literally need 'Cottage Furniture'.. You really don't need to revert to the converted 'pallet wood' of the Ikea type places.

Personally I can't understand why fitted furnishings have apparently gone completely out of fashion. What I have always wondered about free standing stuff, where the hell do you store your bedding.

I bought my furniture from Elite and they were very very good. Came and measured the boat and my back!!!! The furniture is very very comfortable and lots of storage underneath.

With regard to Ikea I recently furnished my daughters flat with Ikea furniture as that is what she wanted and must say it looks nice and is very practical but very pleased that I paid for there service where they come and put it all together, I would never have managed!!

Got to agree with John here. Seen too many photos of so called "quality fitouts" which appear to consist of a glorified lined shell with a few bits of your grandma's furniture chucked in.

If there's one thing a narrowboat needs, it's loads of storage space, so I'll take that L shaped upholstered dinette please!

Ikea bed chairs are lovely. I've ended up with 5, not all on the boat. The boat ones are 12ish years. They are easy to make replacememt covers and I have bought replacements from Ikea for £5 each in their sale. You just pull the chair from the front and they become a bed, simple & easy.

One very satisfied customer

Sue