Narrowboat Furniture

Gillie

Featured Posts

We are looking for a sofa ..or 2 bed chairs for our boat..I have found 3 narrowboat furniture stores...

Wilsons of Kinver

Elite furnishings

and Kinver boat services

Does anyone know of any other suppliers of furniture??

We idealy want a storage sofa bed that will open up across the boat..but so far without any success...

anyone here have one?.... and if so where did you get it!!

Gillie :lol:

We are looking for a sofa ..or 2 bed chairs for our boat..I have found 3 narrowboat furniture stores...

Wilsons of Kinver

Elite furnishings

and Kinver boat services

We idealy want a storage sofa bed that will open up across the boat..but so far without any success...

Ikea

Ikea

I have looked there and nothing that would fit properly...well...have looked on the web site..have never been in person...would love an excuse to though...

I have looked there and nothing that would fit properly...well...have looked on the web site..have never been in person...would love an excuse to though...

A lot of people decry Ikea

personally I like it

There's nothing like seing furniture in the flesh - much better than going by pictures and measurements

I fancy a couple of those laminated wood chairs with their own footstools - 60 quid each for the basic fabric ones and a bit more for better finishings - well made and comfy and not a lot of money - and light and airy to give your limited square footage a sense of space

Edited by Bazza2

Ikea

No! No! No! Their furniture is crap, badly assembled from poor quality timber, and appalingly finished, My daughter insisted on buying some recently, against my advice, and was "suprised" when the "Veneer" came off when she tried to rub off some wine staining. Another item she bought was not finished at all, and had to be varnished (no mention of that requirement in the showroom) as far as i am concerned their "furniture" is only one step ahead of packing cases.

Apart from that they think it is funny to ridicule men with beards in their adverts, imagine the reaction if they ridiculed an exclusively female characteristic, in an advert.

Edited by David Schweizer

No! No! No! Their furniture is crap, badly assembled from poor quality timber, and appalingly finished, My daughter insisted on buying some recently, against my advice, and was "suprised" when the "Veneer" came off when she tried to rub off some wine staining. Another item she bought was not finished at all, and had to be varnished (no mention of that requirement in the showroom) as far as i am concerned their "furniture" is only one step ahead of packing cases.

Apart from that they think it is funny to ridicule men with beards in their adverts, imagine the reaction if they ridiculed an exclusively female characteristic, in an advert.

Pogonophobes they are.

No offence to anybody but the stuff from this place can be dross. They compete with another company for the richest company in the world who's products are also dross: Mickeysoft or something like that.

Each to their own I suppose - I have some of their furniture and I like it very much

And I would consider my taste and values to be the same as Mr Average

Each to their own I suppose - I have some of their furniture and I like it very much

Ikea is ok.. I have a very comfy sofa from there that I wished would fit in the boat..its so squishy and soft and you can spread out on it...

So far .. no bits have dropped of either!

I have bought quite a lot of stuff from Ikea over the years... not had any problems I can think of.. And I dont accept sub standards either! If bits fell of I would be the first ranting at customer services!

.....Plus the meatballs in the resturant are scrummy! :lol:

Me too. I have a lovely big squishy sofa of theirs and i love it and have had it for years. Also as Bazza said, its nice to be able to go see it, and buy it straight away.

Obviously some of the stuff can be a bit crap like anywhere really...but what you see is what you get. I always have a good prod and look things over as much as i can.

Also you cant beat them for baskets, candles and all the 'nice bits and bobs' that you dont really need but cant resist!! :lol:

Me too. I have a lovely big squishy sofa of theirs and i love it and have had it for years. Also as Bazza said, its nice to be able to go see it, and buy it straight away.

Obviously some of the stuff can be a bit crap like anywhere really...but what you see is what you get. I always have a good prod and look things over as much as i can.

Also you cant beat them for baskets, candles and all the 'nice bits and bobs' that you dont really need but cant resist!! :lol:

Ikea candles are fab - they are much better quality than British ones which are generally made of paraffin wax

Swedish candles are made of something called Stearin which is much more refined so burns with a cleaner brighter flame

You have to keep them out of sunny windows in the summer though because they soften and bend over very quickly

I agree with you Bazza. Ikea produce relativlely inexpensive stuff that can be very well made. Of course it is NEVER going to be described as craftsman built but it does tend to meet your expectation so long as you thoroughly inspect what you are buying and understand if what you are buying is solid wood or just laminated/ veneered. Their homeware is also good value, mostly if you go for the slightly dearer ranges.

I find them excellent for storage solutions but I have to admit the majority of my furniture is second hand having been scarped together at car boot sales, auctions and antique fairs (no it is NOT antique! my bits are the bits that were a bit too new to make it to the posh shops and so were being sold of cheaply! I even have stuff I have liberated from a skip! Most of it is a far better quality than anything I could even hope to afford to buy new.

It is after all another form recycling and it annoys me intensly that these days most furniture seems to be classed as a consumable item where it is thrown away and replaced each time a room is decorated!

We have all the home makeover programs to thank for that trend I suppose!

I will get off my soapbox now!

Wilsons of Kinver

Elite furnishings

and Kinver boat services

Hi gillie,

We have just bought a sofabed from Wilsons. Very comfortable and looks good. Small amount of storage under base, but the bed will only open down the length of the boat. We just spin the sofa round to use as a bed.

I agree with you Bazza. Ikea produce relativlely inexpensive stuff that can be very well made. Of course it is NEVER going to be described as craftsman built but it does tend to meet your expectation so long as you thoroughly inspect what you are buying and understand if what you are buying is solid wood or just laminated/ veneered. Their homeware is also good value, mostly if you go for the slightly dearer ranges.

I find them excellent for storage solutions but I have to admit the majority of my furniture is second hand having been scarped together at car boot sales, auctions and antique fairs (no it is NOT antique! my bits are the bits that were a bit too new to make it to the posh shops and so were being sold of cheaply! I even have stuff I have liberated from a skip! Most of it is a far better quality than anything I could even hope to afford to buy new.

It is after all another form recycling and it annoys me intensly that these days most furniture seems to be classed as a consumable item where it is thrown away and replaced each time a room is decorated!

We have all the home makeover programs to thank for that trend I suppose!

I will get off my soapbox now!

I agree wholeheartedly that anything that can be re-used should be, and good for you if you have. But was it not this firm under discussion that produced that disgusting advert on the telly advising everyone to skip their stuff and make their way to the store? "Chuck out your chintz" or some damn thing showing people skipping the entire contents of their home? Or have I lost it completely? Quite likely actually.

I agree wholeheartedly that anything that can be re-used should be, and good for you if you have. But was it not this firm under discussion that produced that disgusting advert on the telly advising everyone to skip their stuff and make their way to the store? "Chuck out your chintz" or some damn thing showing people skipping the entire contents of their home? Or have I lost it completely? Quite likely actually.

yep they were the culprit!

I hated that advert and to make matters worse at that time I was doing market research and getting paid to ask people opinions of the very same advert!

Swedish adverts are often a bit odd tho, anyone remembering the Volvo ones from a similar era (when the V/S 40/90 range was first launched) might also remember some really off the wall adverts that no one could quite understand

but the bed will only open down the length of the boat. We just spin the sofa round to use as a bed.

Can't do that as the stove is in the middle of the saloon... :cheers:

Hi Gillie, this is our sofa from Galloway Upholstery in Stafford. It can be separated into 2 chairs, reclined for a lazy evening ( :cheers: ) and fully opened out into a bed, which will fit the width of the salloon btw. It was pricey and we had to collect it, but they are made to order and in the fabric of your choice. We even asked him for some extra fabric for the stools I was making and he gave us the rest of the roll FOC!

The only drawback for you is there is no storage underneath.

2pzfxxe.jpg

yep they were the culprit!

I hated that advert and to make matters worse at that time I was doing market research and getting paid to ask people opinions of the very same advert!

Swedish adverts are often a bit odd tho, anyone remembering the Volvo ones from a similar era (when the V/S 40/90 range was first launched) might also remember some really off the wall adverts that no one could quite understand

Kev was once in a Swedish advert for an airline. He was all covered in mud and burst out of the ground holding a flag and screaming.

What do you mean Swedish adverts are often a bit odd...?

:cheers:

I just bought a sofa from Sofa workshop in croydon.

they make to measure, they have a good range of sizes and styles and they can make it entirely to your specification.

it comes with a price though.

i just got a tiny wee sofa ( ex display) this weekend in fact and we have quite restricted access to our living room with it being in the middle... it fitted with a bit of pushing and pulling. looks fantastic, extremely comfortable.

its not a sofa bed but they have those as options available on a lot of their sofas and chairs.

www.sofaworkshop.co.uk

we got the Aalto Snuggler from the Ultimate range. it measures just 124cm across ( 1 meter deep) but still has ample seat room for 2 people.

I'd stick IKEA well and truly in Room 101.

Don't be fooled into thinking the stuff is great value - Argos for example is far cheaper for exactly the same quality bookcases as IKEA's 'Billy' range.

They have created a tourist attraction where the masses flock and then you aren't even allowed to browse around using your own brain - oh no, they route you around and heaven help you if you forget something near the beginning of the tourist trail. And after the grand tour you queue for ages and have to pay a surcharge to use your credit card - they tell you it is to keep prices low (or would that be profits high)

On the upside some stuff is good - candles I agree and I do like the hotdogs !

• 2 months later...
I'd stick IKEA well and truly in Room 101.

Don't be fooled into thinking the stuff is great value.......

I agree, and will still stick to my much earlier description of their products.

I was taught carpentry by a former master Cabinet Maker, and spent seven years in the furniture manufacturing industry. There are inevitably varying levels of quality in the trade, but Ikea are at the bottom (the very bottom).

Oh by the wayy the Wardrobe my daughter bought from them has collapsed already and it is only six months old. Warranty? what warranty?

Wilsons of Kinver

Elite furnishings

and Kinver boat services

Hi Gillie

We had our 2 seater leather sofa made by Sofa Designs in Stourbridge. Tel 01384 440546. Corey is very helpful & will make it to your own design. It converts into a bed & is very comfortable. Unfortunately we are having to sell it as we have a baby due November & need to make more space! If you are interested I can tell you measurements & maybe even attach a photo :blush: We have only had it since December so it's in pretty good condition.

• 1 year later...

Wilsons of Kinver

Elite furnishings

and Kinver boat services