ee mobile broadband coverage: Hawkesbury Jn to Rugby

AftApeth

Featured Posts

Hi folks. Does anybody have experience of ee's 4G coverage between Hawkesbury Junction (top of the Oxford) and Rugby? I have a big conference call by Skype tomorrow afternoon. I currently have good 4G signal at Hawkesbury, but am keen to move on a few hours each day when I can. If I push on towards Rugby, am I likely to hit any signal dead spots? What's the signal like in Rugby itself (though I probably won't get that far)?

Thanks.

If you believe their map, it looks mostly OK, but you might pick your mooring based on what the phone's telling you.

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/coverage-checker

Super, thanks. I hadn't actually found that map yet. Although looking at it in detail, it looks like lies to me. There were lots of dead spots on the Shroppie and Staffs and Worcs on my way down. I'm using one of those Osprey MiFi devices. If anyone has experience of cruising this stretch with ee mobile broadband it would be great to hear their findings.

I have no experience of EE but I cruise up and down that stretch often and find the '3' network very good especially if you can rig an external aerial to one of their 'mi-fi' units or handsets. If you're only wanting a one off conference call on EE then that wont be any help of course, all I can suggest is check your phone regularly and moor up where you find a good signal. Apart from Ansty it is very rural all the way to Rugby but you are in regular proximity to the West Coast mainline for a large part of it, so possibly cell coverage might be quite good near to it.

If you are likely to need good mobile coverage in the future there are certainly things you can do to improve the reception. You mentioned black spots on the Shroppie and Staffs & Worcs, I posted some of my experiences with improving onboard communications last year and this year we cruised from Braunston up the North Oxford, Coventry, Ashby T&M, Staffs & Worcs to Stourport, Shropshire Union to Ellesmere Port and the Llangollen up to the basin at the end. We had good internet and mobile coverage throughout. If you cruise widely and have a need for reliable communications then it might be worth considering something similar.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=87307f378abd2509c4d8cd9c50ae220c&showtopic=67325&hl=

Ken

I have no experience of EE but I cruise up and down that stretch often and find the '3' network very good especially if you can rig an external aerial to one of their 'mi-fi' units or handsets. If you're only wanting a one off conference call on EE then that wont be any help of course, all I can suggest is check your phone regularly and moor up where you find a good signal. Apart from Ansty it is very rural all the way to Rugby but you are in regular proximity to the West Coast mainline for a large part of it, so possibly cell coverage might be quite good near to it.

If you are likely to need good mobile coverage in the future there are certainly things you can do to improve the reception. You mentioned black spots on the Shroppie and Staffs & Worcs, I posted some of my experiences with improving onboard communications last year and this year we cruised from Braunston up the North Oxford, Coventry, Ashby T&M, Staffs & Worcs to Stourport, Shropshire Union to Ellesmere Port and the Llangollen up to the basin at the end. We had good internet and mobile coverage throughout. If you cruise widely and have a need for reliable communications then it might be worth considering something similar.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?s=87307f378abd2509c4d8cd9c50ae220c&showtopic=67325&hl=

Ken

Thanks Ken. I'll definitely have a read through that.

Hi folks. Does anybody have experience of ee's 4G coverage between Hawkesbury Junction (top of the Oxford) and Rugby? I have a big conference call by Skype tomorrow afternoon. I currently have good 4G signal at Hawkesbury, but am keen to move on a few hours each day when I can. If I push on towards Rugby, am I likely to hit any signal dead spots? What's the signal like in Rugby itself (though I probably won't get that far)?

Thanks.

If you have a good signal at Hawks. Why do you want to move and risk bad signal.

Do your conf call tomorrow then move. Pretty easy decision from what you say.

If you have a good signal at Hawks. Why do you want to move and risk bad signal.

Do your conf call tomorrow then move. Pretty easy decision from what you say.

I have to say as someone who works from the boat quite often and is reliant on internet access, I would agree with that. It is very difficult to predict good access so if you have it stay put!

I'm currently moored near the railway just south of Ansty near Hopsford aqueduct EE 4g is good. It was non existent by Hungerfield Bridge no 35 but fine at Hillmorton. Cheers Graham

Thanks very much Graham. That's exactly the sort of helpful reply I was hoping to get. Great to know.