Only Ten Days To Go

Darcy

Featured Posts

Only ten days to go now until we pick up our hire boat. Excitement is building......... Daughter has already packed her essential toys. I've nearly filled the cake box. Son can't wait to find out whether he's tall enough to see over the roof this year. Last year his attempt at steering involved peering down the sides !!

We will collect the boat at Silsden and travel along the Leeds Liverpool, Bridgewater and finally T&M to Acton Bridge. That is, assuming that the Barton aqueduct opens on time. We've done the final bit before but the LL and the Leigh branch will be new to us. So, anyone got any suggestions of nice pubs for lunch, good places to moor (or not) or anything else to look out for...........

No computers, emails, phonecalls or bosses for a whole week........ excuse me while I lapse into a little daydream. :lol:

Ann

No computers, emails, phonecalls or bosses for a whole week........ excuse me while I lapse into a little daydream. :lol:

Ann

Lucky you! :lol:

Unfortunately I may have work to do on our jaunt :lol:

And BOGG (Big Old Grumpy Git) has his lapdog surgically attached! :lol:

Like you, we've only got 10 days to go, unlike you the cake tin remains empty, the kids ain't bovvered and I'm up to armpits in laundry!

BOGG on the other hand is heading to Dubai for the week, so remains blissfully out of the loop of packing!

*evil grin* up to me then as to what I pack for him :lol:

Tullz

phone call today confirms that all is going well with work at barton and opening time remains as was.

phone back nearer to 31st is also advised to check.

wondering if we should head to leeds next friday or to llangollen,half of the gang are asking what about the canal turn for the national if we go to far, will we be back in time for the national.

kids want to make a banner to fly at canal turn and try and get lovejoy off soccer am on sky tv to show it.

i might make my own banner come to think of it, try and say hello to all on canalworld via tv.

Edited by gaggle

Thanks Gaggle, yes I was planning on ringing them up about the bridge closer to our start day.

Laptops are strictly banned from our trip. Tullz. I know my husband and accompanying friend too well. The first time we stopped it would be "I just need to check on something" and that would be them lost in a virtual world for the next few hours. :lol: I shouldn't moan about my work - I enjoy it really and my boss is pretty good, but it does seem like a never ending string of deadlines at the moment, so I could do with forgetting about it for a bit. Husband would probably be rather less complementary about his.

Cake tins are a feature of our canal boat trips. Full of yummy homemade cakes to keep you going through the day and serve as improptu puds in the evening - and with no nasty additives to send the kids hyper. Mind you I'm sure I eat more than my fair share. I don't cook cakes normally when we're at home for that very reason. :lol:

We're lucky that our son (8) loves canal boats. He gets to sit and read as long as he wants and no one hassles him. He enjoys helping at locks, being outside and generally spending time with us. Our daughter (6) is less convinced, but we travel with her grandparents who are happy to get involved in a never ending succession of art projects - so that helps.

Don't talk to me about laundry - only just got the tumble drier fixed (after 3 months). I'm sure there's no point in ironing clothes just to pack in suitcases for the holiday is there ??? My husband will return this weekend from his trip away, complete with more washing. :lol: I'm afraid I draw the line at packing his clothes - I'd only get it wrong. But yes, the rest of the packing will be me - I guess I wouldn't trust anyone else to bring all the essential items like er a cheese grater and a bottle of sherry (I take wine and beer for the whole crew - the sherry is my secret supply)!!

Anyhow - enjoy your trip - I hope you don't have too much work to do.

Ann

We don't get our annual fix until 12th May, then we're off for two blissful weeks (or stressful weeks, depending on whether stoppages on the South Pennine Ring are complete or not!) We're having the TV taken off the hire boat before we leave, mobiles are switched off for the duration, and newspapers are banned. We may listen to the radio for the Eurovision Song Contest though. We're a bit sad that way!

Ann, you'll be coming through our way on the L&L. I'll try and catch you to say hello!

Janet

Only ten days to go now until we pick up our hire boat. Excitement is building......... Daughter has already packed her essential toys. I've nearly filled the cake box. Son can't wait to find out whether he's tall enough to see over the roof this year. Last year his attempt at steering involved peering down the sides !!

We will collect the boat at Silsden and travel along the Leeds Liverpool, Bridgewater and finally T&M to Acton Bridge. That is, assuming that the Barton aqueduct opens on time. We've done the final bit before but the LL and the Leigh branch will be new to us. So, anyone got any suggestions of nice pubs for lunch, good places to moor (or not) or anything else to look out for...........

Ann

Do I take it that Silsden are now doing one wayers?

I set off from the top pound of the L&L next Wednesday heading for Kidsgrove where the old girl is going to spend summer.

You will enjoy the L&L - get through Blackburn nice and early, same for Wigan Flight but I've never had any real probs.

There are great moorings at the following:

- between East Marten and Greenberfield

- Salterforth is nice, Anchor Inn is basic but good atmosphere

- Barrowford village is nice with a good Italien (cheap deal up til 7pm)

- Last moorings before the Burnley to Hapton stretch are near Barden Mill

- Lovely mooring near swing bridge 115

- Last decent mooring before Blackburn is around Clayton le Moors

- Riley Green - nice mooring, decent pub next to the canal but 10 times better one (Royal Oak I think) about 1 mile up the main road- through Moorings car park and turn right.

- Good real ale pub at the top of Johnsons Hill Lock Flight

- OK mooring at Plank Lane - forget the Dover Lock Inn, unpleasant crowd seem to frequent - sad as the new landlord is a nice chap.

- Didn't stop much on the Bridgewater last year and want to explore Lymm this time - so any tips from the forum would be good.

- It is worth nipping into Castlefield Basin - Dukes 92 bar does a great cheese and pate bar M-F.

Have a great time.

Do I take it that Silsden are now doing one wayers?

I set off from the top pound of the L&L next Wednesday heading for Kidsgrove where the old girl is going to spend summer.

You will enjoy the L&L - get through Blackburn nice and early, same for Wigan Flight but I've never had any real probs.

There are great moorings at the following:

- between East Marten and Greenberfield

- Salterforth is nice, Anchor Inn is basic but good atmosphere

- Barrowford village is nice with a good Italien (cheap deal up til 7pm)

- Last moorings before the Burnley to Hapton stretch are near Barden Mill

- Lovely mooring near swing bridge 115

- Last decent mooring before Blackburn is around Clayton le Moors

- Riley Green - nice mooring, decent pub next to the canal but 10 times better one (Royal Oak I think) about 1 mile up the main road- through Moorings car park and turn right.

- Good real ale pub at the top of Johnsons Hill Lock Flight

- OK mooring at Plank Lane - forget the Dover Lock Inn, unpleasant crowd seem to frequent - sad as the new landlord is a nice chap.

- Didn't stop much on the Bridgewater last year and want to explore Lymm this time - so any tips from the forum would be good.

- It is worth nipping into Castlefield Basin - Dukes 92 bar does a great cheese and pate bar M-F.

Have a great time.

Wow Richard, thanks for all that info -- I'm at work at the moment, but I'll mark up all the places you suggest on our route plan this evening.

Yes Silsden are doing one way trips to Acton Bridge with (I think) three of their boats. It's not very obvious on their site, you need to you to the "View Our Boats" tab and look at info on the individual boats. We were keen to do the one way trip as its the only way we'll get along the L&L, and we've run out of 'new' one week rings to do.

Blackburn does present a bit of a problem for us since we had hoped to put in three (or 2 & 1/2 - we start at noon on Sunday) longish days at the start of the trip to allow some time for sightseeing further on. (We have lots of engineers on the boat who want to see the Trencherfield Mill Engine - plus some other stops). To do this we'd need to get through Blackburn on day 3. We were hoping to do this and moor just west of Blackburn. Is this feasible do you think ? and how far out do we need to be to moor reasonably safely ? We were considering Cherry Tree...........

We hope to moor as close as is feasible to the top of the Wigan flight, visit all the sites that afternoon and then make as earlyish (8am is early for us) start down the Wigan locks the following morning. Any idea how close to the top of the flight it would make sense to moor ??

Sounds as though you will be a few days ahead of us, lets hope we both get some good weather. We enjoyed the Bridgewater last year. It was a great opportunity for the younger and most nervous members of our party to have a go at steering. If you like quiet moorings, opposite the Daresbury Science park was a lovely place to stop.

Ann

Janet,

Where are you? We'll watch out.......

Yes we usually ban the TV too - with the exception of the weather forecasts. We do try to escape the tyranny of the news. Although in '05 we were on a boat when the London bombings happened - heard about it in the pub at lunchtime and then spent the afternoon trying to get several friends and relatives on our mobiles. Thankfully they were all fine, but I do now tend to hear the headlines in the morning before the others are up. I take a radio anyway - we're addicted to the Archers :lol: and we will have a Sunday paper at the start -- by the end of the week we might actually have read it all, something we never do at home......

Wow Richard, thanks for all that info -- I'm at work at the moment, but I'll mark up all the places you suggest on our route plan this evening.

Yes Silsden are doing one way trips to Acton Bridge with (I think) three of their boats. It's not very obvious on their site, you need to you to the "View Our Boats" tab and look at info on the individual boats. We were keen to do the one way trip as its the only way we'll get along the L&L, and we've run out of 'new' one week rings to do.

Good business sense by Silsden - and their boats look like Black Prince boats !

Blackburn does present a bit of a problem for us since we had hoped to put in three (or 2 & 1/2 - we start at noon on Sunday) longish days at the start of the trip to allow some time for sightseeing further on. (We have lots of engineers on the boat who want to see the Trencherfield Mill Engine - plus some other stops). To do this we'd need to get through Blackburn on day 3. We were hoping to do this and moor just west of Blackburn. Is this feasible do you think ? and how far out do we need to be to moor reasonably safely ? We were considering Cherry Tree...........

I'd push on to Riley Green and then get a bus from the main road - as I said, I've never had problems but it is school hols.

We hope to moor as close as is feasible to the top of the Wigan flight, visit all the sites that afternoon and then make as earlyish (8am is early for us) start down the Wigan locks the following morning. Any idea how close to the top of the flight it would make sense to moor ??

Moor at Red Rock about 30 mins from the top - decent planked moorings and an okish pub.

Sounds as though you will be a few days ahead of us, lets hope we both get some good weather. We enjoyed the Bridgewater last year. It was a great opportunity for the younger and most nervous members of our party to have a go at steering. If you like quiet moorings, opposite the Daresbury Science park was a lovely place to stop.

We'll be down the flight on Monday the second. Yep agree with the Science Park - moored there last year in glorious sunshine and looked over the valley.

Ann

I shouldn't moan about my work - I enjoy it really and my boss is pretty good, but it does seem like a never ending string of deadlines at the moment, so I could do with forgetting about it for a bit. Husband would probably be rather less complementary about his.

What do you do for your sins?

I'm a food writer and reviewer. Got to many restaurants too review at the mo _at least 4 if not 6 by the end of next week!

Thank gawd for elasticated waist bands!

Cake tins are a feature of our canal boat trips. Full of yummy homemade cakes to keep you going through the day and serve as improptu puds in the evening - and with no nasty additives to send the kids hyper. Mind you I'm sure I eat more than my fair share. I don't cook cakes normally when we're at home for that very reason. :lol:

But yes, the rest of the packing will be me - I guess I wouldn't trust anyone else to bring all the essential items like er a cheese grater and a bottle of sherry (I take wine and beer for the whole crew - the sherry is my secret supply)!!

Anyhow - enjoy your trip - I hope you don't have too much work to do.

Ann

Ahhh homemade cakes! I spend 1 day a week doin home baking at a friends cafe and as such, I too have more than my fair share of staff tasters! LOL

Might take a cake tin and my baking notes along with a couple of sharp knives, zester and my cast iron saute pan. I know what the equipment is like on these jaunts.

I remember a trip on the Maid of Plastic on the Thames many years ago - had a bloody frying pan the size of a dish at Jodrell Bank - just about fitted on the 3 ring gas stove, only problem was there wasn't enough pressure when all 3 were alight at once!

You have a great trip too

Tullz

Edited by Tullz

What do you do for your sins?

I'm an engineer in the oil industry - which in practice means lots of stuff on a computer - solving puzzles really.

Might take a cake tin and my baking notes along with a couple of sharp knives, zester and my cast iron saute pan. I know what the equipment is like on these jaunts.

Wow - baking ON the boat, now that's ambitious. I'm afraid my catering is more of the lamb and chickpea curry, chilli pasta bake variety. The famous fajita night has been requested again........ I know what you mean about the kit on hire boats although to be honest after years of holiday cottages we were ready for it. I usually take a decent knife, a veg peeler, a measuring jug and some measuring spoons. I might take tin for my nut loaf, which I make beforehand, freeze and then just bind with a couple of eggs and bake on board. As to pans - I'll have to take pot luck. I think hubby might go completely loopy if I tell him I want to fit ours in the boot !! :lol:

Ann

As to pans - I'll have to take pot luck. I think hubby might go completely loopy if I tell him I want to fit ours in the boot !! :lol:

Ann

LOL

I always get 'What the bloody hell do you want to take *that* for?'

Or 'haven't you forgotten something? - the kitchen sink!'

Men! The just don't understand, unless they are chefs

Nut loaf sounds good.

I love the smell of bacon in the morning (rather than nahpalm!)

Tullz

I always get 'What the bloody hell do you want to take *that* for?'

Or 'haven't you forgotten something? - the kitchen sink!'

Men! The just don't understand, unless they are chefs

But for some reason it makes perfect sense for mine to take his pillow with him............

-- I've put my nutloaf recipe in the recipes section - just in case anyone is interested.

Ann

Darcy

You can moor overnight at the top lock on the Wigan flight, there is a new shower block there as well. There are 2 pubs within 100 yards of the top lock. Aim to start the lock flight first thing in the morning, if you are lucky the lock keepers will cycle in front of you setting the locks for you thus leaving your crew to operate the heavy lock gates.

You need to check on the Wigan Council website about Trencherfield Mill Engine opening times as there have been major changes at the Wigan Pier site recently.

Steve

We moored just above the top lock, and had a very entertaining evening in the first pub, so much so that we never made it to the next one! A real friendly, local, traditional pub. We were made very welcome, and had a great evening, and had a very late start the following morning!

Unfortunately we never made it down the Wigan flight, as we didn't think we had time (being on a hire boat). We were out on a two week out and back from Sowerby Bridge. Should have been the South Pennine Ring, but stoppages prevented that. We just got as far as we could before we had to turn back! In the end we found we had two days to spare, so were a bit gutted to find out that we could have done it after all.

You'll enjoy the L&L. It's a much underrated canal. The section between Skipton and Burnley is particularly scenic. Burnley and Blackburn town centres aren't the nicest of places, but nothing to worry about. We had no trouble there at all. There are many deserted and derelict buildings along the canal just after the mile cut in Burnley, but hopefully many are to be restored to their former glory very soon.

You only have a short cruise before you're out in the countryside again.

I live very near the canal in a small town just outside Burnley, and regularly fish on the canal between Burnley and Blackburn. I've never noticed any problems for boaters. You're in and out of the towns before you know it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Thanks Janet and Steve, we'll moor at the top lock then. Which was the "first pub" ? Just to make sure we don't miss it. I'm sure the proximity to a good pub will be greatly appreciated by most members of the party. In fact, I rather think that one member of the party might not actually make it into the museums.............

Thanks for the info about the Mill Engine Steve, I've looked on the website and it is shut for 6 weeks hoping to reopen for Easter. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and find out what that means - i.e. for Easter weekend or for the kids Easter holidays. Either way at least I can now manage expectations and avoiding a sulking 8 year old (and sulking 38 and 72 yr olds for that matter !!)

Janet, we'll look out for a lady fishing. We're likely to come past you on Tuesday morning - if all goes to plan. We'll be aiming to find a nice pub for lunch and then head through Blackburn before we moor. There's a thought, do the Blackburn locks get locked at night ?

We are really looking forward to the L&L. We found a virtual cruise on the pennine waterways site and it looks gorgeous. It sounds as though it should be rather less busy than other places we've been as well. Although we could do with meeting another boat to go through the locks with. We did the double locks through Manchester with another boat and it made it much much easier for the steerer. As for opening the gates, there were places that we had 4 adults to one lock gate to get them open. Mind you water was streaming over the top of all the gates. Hopefully these ones will be somewhat better ...........

I've just got back from the trip to Sainsburies for all the non-perishable food and drink. Since we have children on board, we eat lunch in pubs, but I cook in the evening. So we try to take as much as we can with us to minimise the need for shopping -- supermarkets not being our favourite places to spend our holidays. Somehow we seemed to have a very full trolley -- I'll have fun packing everything into the car. But we won't starve.

Ann

Janet, we'll look out for a lady fishing. We're likely to come past you on Tuesday morning - if all goes to plan.
I have a day off work on Tuesday, and an appointment in Burnley town centre at 9.40. Instead of getting the bus home, I'll walk along the cut to Gannow Tunnel, and get the bus from there. Look out for a woman in a bright yellow jacket, and say hi!

It sounds as though it should be rather less busy than other places we've been

Very much so. We had two weeks in May a couple of years ago, and virtually had the canal to ourselves. Seeing another moving boat was very much a rarity! They don't know what they're missing. It really is a lovely canal. We spent a couple of evenings moored up at a nice picnic spot in Church. One on the way out, and one on the way back - I think it was called Donkey Back Bridge (?) It's exactly at the halfway point between Leeds and Liverpool. As you pass, you'll see a cut-out metal sign on the left to show the mid-way point.

Didn't realise it at the time, but if you moor up in Church at the picnic site, then head up the little alley by the church, there's a very welcoming pub just across the road! We just had a barbecue on the bank and a bottle of wine. We'd been warned that it wasn't the best place to moor up, but we had two nights with no problem at all. The yobs don't seem to have discovered the canal there. We sat and watched the sun go down, with a load of horses and foals in the field opposite, racing up and down. A couple of very quiet and enjoyable evenings.

I do hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did!

Janet

We'll look out for you Janet. The boat's called Ian's Drum.

Ann

We might be at the boat when you go past, we are Taurus moored a mile west of Skipton at Niffany (the bridge with the hook but no handcuff key) or if you stop in Skipton and we are there pop in for a cuppa.

Cheers

Allyson

We might be at the boat when you go past, we are Taurus moored a mile west of Skipton at Niffany (the bridge with the hook but no handcuff key) or if you stop in Skipton and we are there pop in for a cuppa.

Cheers

Allyson

We'll watch for you Allyson. We're aiming to get to Gargrave for the evening - so unfortunately we won't be stopping in Skipton. Well only if we realise that we've forgotten something critical............

Just marked my route plan up with all of the good suggestions on here. Lots of lovely pubs to visit.

Ann

We'll watch for you Allyson. We're aiming to get to Gargrave for the evening - so unfortunately we won't be stopping in Skipton. Well only if we realise that we've forgotten something critical............

Just marked my route plan up with all of the good suggestions on here. Lots of lovely pubs to visit.

Ann

I believe there is a co-op in Gargrave and an indian called "Bollywood cottage" we intend to go there at easter unless someone tells me it's pants!

Edited by allybsc

Not tried the Indian.

The cafe is nice (a bit twee)

Avoid the new chippy it is appalling.

Just arrived home after a 2 yomp from Barlick to White Bear. Back on board Sunday evening heading for Harecastle

Nothing to watch out for or be wary of - lovely weather yesterday, developed trenchfoot today !

Not tried the Indian.

The cafe is nice (a bit twee)

Avoid the new chippy it is appalling.

Just arrived home after a 2 yomp from Barlick to White Bear. Back on board Sunday evening heading for Harecastle

Nothing to watch out for or be wary of - lovely weather yesterday, developed trenchfoot today !

Shame about the chippy, I like Gargrave only been there by car so far whne I was misdirected looking for Niffany, went to a good table top sale and bought some bits. It's my birthday over easter so I think we'll give the indian a go.

Hurrah -- setting off in a few minutes. I've sent the final emails at work, replied to the phonecalls, met the deadlines (although I can't guarantee that the numbers I produced made any sense) and switched off the mobile.

We're driving down to Lancaster today for a couple of nights before we pick the boat up on Sunday. The car is packed to bursting point -- just room left to get the children in !! (Thinks mmm there might be a way of making some space here.......... :unsure: Maybe not.

We'll look out for those of you on the way. We'll be the one with an angelic looking 6 yrs old girl (don't be deceived), an enthusiastic 8 yr old boy with one new front tooth, two rather bemused looking grandparents, a small, rotund 40 yr old man and two frazzled looking parents (also 40 ish - but don't tell anyone).

And just in case the the very kind gentlemen who last year congratulated us at a lock for taking "one of life's unfortunates" on holiday happens to read this. Our portly friend may have some weird mannerisms and is somewhat scruffy, but he is probably one of the most intelligent guys you'll ever meet and happens to have a very good job. The poor guy must have thought we were all loopy as I staggered over to the boat and the whole crew fell about laughing.

Anyhow just a few final checks and then we're off............................................... :cheers::D:cheers:

Have a wonderful Easter....... (oops forgot to pack the eggs).

Ann