looking for a boat

rustydiver

Featured Posts

So I'm on a casual look out for a narrowboat, would like one for by next march to use for next season. I'm also on the waiting list for a berth at a marina for then.

Looking for anything up to 40ft to selep 4 people. Im toying with the idea off getting a new Aintree beetle made i know its small but it does what i want or looking for used up to 40ft.

Is there any manufacturers i should be aware off good or bad, engines etc.

Tips hints and advice greatly accepted.

Looking to keep it on the Gloucester and Sharpness canal.

Thanks Simon.

We are used to cosy, camping in small tents and camper van.

Will only be for a few years the children are 17 & 15 so won't be that interested.

We mainly want it for a weekend escape.

Edited by rustydiver

So I'm on a casual look out for a narrowboat, would like one for by next march to use for next season. I'm also on the waiting list for a berth at a marina for then.

Looking for anything up to 40ft to selep 4 people. Im toying with the idea off getting a new Aintree beetle made i know its small but it does what i want or looking for used up to 40ft.

Is there any manufacturers i should be aware off good or bad, engines etc.

Tips hints and advice greatly accepted.

Looking to keep it on the Gloucester and Sharpness canal.

Thanks Simon.

may I suggest you put your walking boots on and take a few walks along the GandS, start at sharpness always lots of boats for sale in the marina there, have bought a few there with friends, next spot would be the black shed moorings at slimbridge, followed by the jewel in the crown Saul, check the marina out as they are a brokerage also Davis boatyard always has a few for sale along with a few privately advertised boats tied up along the towpath, next take a walk from Gloucester docks back towards sharpness as there are lots and lots of boats up that end often with for sale signs in windows, will also save you the trouble of getting the boat to the canal and may even come with a mooring

I'd say 40' would be fine, that's enough to have a dedicated sleeping cabin and a sofa bed in the saloon for visitors. I have twin boys aged 17 and there's plenty of room for the three of us when they come along. Like you, I'm not expecting my babies to be doing that for much longer which is a terribly sad feeling but hey-ho, such is life!

I'd personally recommend buying a second-hand boat rather than a new one, with a second-hand one bought at the right price you'll always be able to sell it for the same price you paid for it.

Hi RD. We looked at the aintree beetle and it had everything we wanted although a tad small. We decided to keep looking second hand for something that suited our needs thinking we could fall back on aintree any time. Luckily we found one that was perfect for us secondhand (2001) and its 36ft, similar layout and build quality as aintree. My advice is look at many, you'll know when you find one you like. I know because we viewed many that left us cold. Good luck there's plenty out there.

Thanks mark.

We have been scouring all the sales ads and 90% sure we are going down the used route, the more we look the more we get into our minds the layout we want. The 25ft I think could be a bit small.

Looking at 40ft ish now.

My problem is I'm impulsive so got to take a step back and keep looking.

We lve in Somerset so not near the bulk off the bigger marinas so will have to make a few day trips to have a good look around its not until you step on the boat you can get the feel for it.

Cheers Simon.

Edited by rustydiver