Navigation Closure for an event

Dave-Shrop

Featured Posts

Do many people pass through this particular lock after 6pm?

It is a serious question. Please can you give me an example of a journey that you think is going to be made difficult?

Is anybody REALLY going to be coming up to Etruria, with the intention of making for somewhere that would be sensible to moor that late in the day?

Likewise, setting off from Etruria for Trentham.

Going North, China Gardens, Water park & South end of the Harecastle tunnel. Stoke-on-Trent isn't the wild west

For those going South who are totally paranoid about stopping in S-O-T, who are last through the tunnel and really do not want to stop anywhere in the area, the lock is over an hour from the end of the tunnel so after 6pm would be quite a feasable time to be trying to transit the flight. If you are at the China Gardens you quite often see boats on the move after 6pm.

However I can see that because there is no access off the towpath from the lock apart from the narrow bridge at the tail of the lock and through a gate to the road on the off side, there is a potential for an serious accident if crowds of people are trying to file across it and also go round the lock beams with an unprotected drop. The temporary bridge thus seems a sensible solution.

How many locks do you do after 6:00pm?

How many hire boaters bother after 6:00pm?

And I suggest you check your dates; BH Monday is NOT Included!

I do most of my locks after 6pm.

Evening and night time is the BEST time to cruise.

Think I'm voting for the closure and the bridge on this one. We need the public on our side and loving and valuing their local canals. Drowning them or their nearest and dearest in a lock isn't going to further this aim and objective .

I'd just organise my trip to cope with the tempory closure and probably attend the event if it was free.

• Greenie 1

Think I'm voting for the closure and the bridge on this one. We need the public on our side and loving and valuing their local canals. Drowning them or their nearest and dearest in a lock isn't going to further this aim and objective .

I'd just organise my trip to cope with the tempory closure and probably attend the event if it was free.

Yup I can not see what the problem is that can't be sorted with a little planning

Going North, China Gardens, Water park & South end of the Harecastle tunnel. Stoke-on-Trent isn't the wild west

For those going South who are totally paranoid about stopping in S-O-T, who are last through the tunnel and really do not want to stop anywhere in the area, the lock is over an hour from the end of the tunnel so after 6pm would be quite a feasable time to be trying to transit the flight. If you are at the China Gardens you quite often see boats on the move after 6pm.

However I can see that because there is no access off the towpath from the lock apart from the narrow bridge at the tail of the lock and through a gate to the road on the off side, there is a potential for an serious accident if crowds of people are trying to file across it and also go round the lock beams with an unprotected drop. The temporary bridge thus seems a sensible solution.

I would agree with your selection of possible mooring spots.

However, given that there aren't many spots where you would moor in Stoke, then anybody coming North needs a plan if Etruria is full (Westport or harecastle) and would want to be there before dark.

On those dates, passing the lock just before it closes would get you to Harecastle at dusk.

As to heading South, if you are paranoid about SOT, then you won't want to stop until you are through Trentham Lock.

If you pass through this lock after 6 then it is going to be dark before you get there and Barlaston will be full in any case.

"However, the disruption that will be caused is minimal"

So to stop Boats on Moorings on the Trent & Mercy + others from spending the Bank holiday weekend on the Caldon Canal is minimal, they will be unable to to return to their moorings late afternoon/evening on Bank Holiday Monday. Most Bank Holidays if the weather is fine there are long queues at these locks. This is anonther case of CRT not caring about Boaters. People in Stoke On Trent cross back and forewards across the the lock or exsisting bridges all the time.

Oh for heavens sake read the notice. There are no restrictions on either the Sunday or Monday.