canal and river trust stating none sighting

bux

Featured Posts

And how many of those visits were made by boaters?

Your later calculations on the relative number of hours seems to assume 30,000 boaters, but in my experience the number of single handed boaters is quite small.

C&RTs call-centre phone 200o people at random, so I guess that they may be lucky and hit on one or two boaters which would tremendously distort the figures when they extrapolate the 2000 up to 60 million.

CRT has increased its income year on year, (along with office staff numbers).

Personally, I believe it's not so much about what they generate, but more with how that money is managed.

I agree that there is scope to manage money better.

Furthermore, if a minority of boaters were a bit more cooperative and complied with the rules, a great deal could be saved and go towards maintenance.

I wonder if the OP got it sorted?

That really depends on what you mean by getting it sorted.

If you mean offering to take a mooring, instead of moving about sufficiently far with a frequency that makes you invisible to C&RT's towpath traffic wardens, then the answer is yes.

Whether or not you think that's a reasonable and fair outcome is another matter.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I agree that there is scope to manage money better.

Furthermore, if a minority of boaters were a bit more cooperative and complied with the rules, a great deal could be saved and go towards maintenance.

Do you have any figures to back up that statement, or is it just something that you thought might sound and look good?

Do you have any figures to prove me wrong?

You made the statement, if you can't back it up with figures then you're only confirming that it was nothing but meaningless claptrap.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

How much do they spend on enforcement?

Do you have any figures to back up that statement, or is it just something that you thought might sound and look good?

Hmmmm. He was right.

Three years ago £2.2m per year was spent on enforcement. The trustees endorsed an extra spend of £0.5m (this is a matter of public record) over two years ago and I have been told that another £0.3m a year has recently been added to the pot.

So its about £3m a year spent on enforcement.

However, over the same period, CaRT have failed to get licence evasion down to 3% - a long standing target. Indeed, it has risen from a low of 3.4% to 4.6%.

Quite simply, spending more on enforcement does not always have the desired result with regard to reducing licence evasion.

With regard to the 'other' issue, it is difficult to see what CaRT are trying to achieve.

Are they -

Attempting to increase revenue by encouraging all boaters to have a home mooring?

Attempting to get boaters to move more often?

Attempting to prevent overstaying?

Attempting to make boaters move further?

Attempting to reduce congestion?

Attempting to stop people using boats as affordable accommodation?

Attempting to appease the IWA and hardliners by looking like they are doing something?

I don't think they know themselves.

Maybe half of what they spend on Maintanance, i have no figures but from reading this forum for nearly 18 months i guess so.

Pis takers that are blatantly taking the pis, must cost a fortune in the Crt expendature budget.

Investigations/letter's/Court Summon's

Pis off the shit bagsangry.png

You are slightly out.

CaRT spend 30 times less on enforcement than they do on maintenance.

Maybe half of what they spend on Maintanance, i have no figures but from reading this forum for nearly 18 months i guess so.

Pis takers that are blatantly taking the pis, must cost a fortune in the Crt expendature budget.

as you have made some statements there could you tell me how many boaters CART have either taken to court in the last 12 months, how many of those have they won?

Edited by GoodGurl

Not many head massages today then?

Edited by GoodGurl

Your Post is very representative of the kind of thinking that has brought about the current levels of pointless 'enforcement'. Ill considered, unnecessary, and above all factually incorrect.

Edited by GoodGurl

Your Post is very representative of the kind of thinking that has brought about the current levels pointless 'enforcement'. Ill considered, unnecessary, and above all factually incorrect.

And a breach of forum rules to boot.

Edited by MJG