1 Week Hoilday Sept 4th-11th Advice

Cruising Mike

Featured Posts

Fellow members,

Im looking for some tips or suggestions to our proposed 1 Week Holiday. Using a 46ft 3 Berth Boat.

We were originally planning to do the Cheshire ring including the Peak Forest branch. However since the stoppage at Castlefield we have decided to have a Plan B in case it doesn't reopen in time.

First things first, we love doing LONG days as we paid to use the boat so might as well use it! Last year we did the FCR and some days we arrived at our planned moorings sometimes even 2 hours earlier that anticipated. That's even with up to 3 hour delays on some days. We are both very efficient in locks and still rather young lads. We are also aware of potential hold ups at some locks and tunnels as we have experienced in the past.

So here are the two alternative options if the Cheshire Ring is still deemed not possible. (Timings etc from CanalplanAC on unedited settings)

Preston Brook to Bugsworth Basin and Back Via Middlewich

Day 1 - Preston Brook to Croxton Flash

15 Miles, 1 Lock, 6.5 Hours

Day 2 - Croxton Flash to Broughton Arms (Bridge 140)

11 Miles, 23 Locks, 8.5 Hours

Day 3 - Broughton Arms to Lockett's Bridge No. 59

13 Miles, 25 Locks, 9.5 Hours

Day 4 - Lockett's Bridge No. 59 to Bugsworth Basin

23 Miles, 0 Locks, 10hrs

Day 5 - Bugsworth Basin to River Dane Aqueduct

24 Miles, 12 Locks, 12.5 Hours (Have to start at 6am)

Day 6 - River Dane Aqueduct to Anne's Bridge 157

17 Miles, 27 Locks, 11.5hrs

Day 7 - Anne's Bridge 157 to Moorfield Winding Hole

24 Miles, 10 Locks, 11.5 Hours

Day 8 - Moorfield Winding Hole to Preston Brook

2 miles, 0 Locks, 40 Mins

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preston Brook to Froghall and Leek Branches and Back

Day 1 - Preston Brook to Croxton Flash

15 Miles, 1 Lock, 6.5 Hours

Day 2 - Croxton Flash to Broughton Arms

11 Miles, 23 Locks, 8.5 Hours

Day 3 - Broughton Arms to Heakley Hall Bridge 22

14 Miles, 16 Locks, 9 Hours

Day 4 - Heakley Hall Bridge 22 to Consall Forge after winding at Froghall Basin

14 Miles, 16 Locks, 9 Hours

Day 5 - Consall Forge to Etruria Junction via Leek Branch

19 Miles, 16 Locks, 11.5 Hours (Have option to scrap the Leek branch if wanted)

Day 6 - Etruria Junction to Elton Moss Bridge 160

14 Miles, 26 Locks, 10.5 Hours

Day 7 - Elton Moss Bridge 160 to Moorfiled Winding Hole

23 Miles, 10 Locks, 10.5 Hours

Day 8 - Moorfield Winding Hole to Preston Brook

2 Miles, 0 Locks, 40 Mins

Okay, thats the plan we have put down. Would appreciate any feedback on the mooring places or anything we have missed out.

Thanks all.

For me that kind of planned and timed holiday would be hell.

A rough idea of which direction I'm turning after I leave the mooring I find useful, otherwise I take it as I find it each morning.

Some days I don't even bother to untie the boat and am quite happy to tow the same view around.

Perhaps its the OCD in me. I (we) like to have a plan set in stone so we have a good idea of how far we need to travel in order to stay on schedule. The other upside of planning is you get to find out more about the routes and what to expect.

Still looking for any additional feedback if anyone has any?

If you choose to do the Caldon Route, Wheelock has more to offer than Elton Moss, and is only about 30 min short. I think I would stick to the Peak Forest - not dependent on going through Harecastle, with the potential for hold ups.

Edited by Stedman II

Both plans have your Day 1 as 6.5 hours, this is simply not possible, look at doing 4 hours max. Most Claymoore boats going south stop at Anderton on the first night, which is about 4 hours. Remember you'll need to fill up with water, empty rubbish, etc and have lunch, which cuts down on the theoretical cruising time. Also, you'll arrive at the Middlewich locks exactly the same time as everyone else....so there will be queues there. And on a canal there simply aren't opportunities to go faster on the flat bits. Also, being a hireboat, you won't be able to cruise after dusk, so you can't make up time this way.

I'd plan for 8-9 hours cruising time per day maximum.

Paul - Not to say I completely disagree with what you say. But I don't see us filling up with water, emptying trash and having lunch within the first few hours of hiring. We usually arrive at base on a full stomach as well. Claymoore have said that we can pick the boat up a lot earlier than usual providing there are no bookings prior to us.

I will look and try and reduce the hours on the final three days. It's hard when there are places we want to stop at, for instance at Bugs worth and cons all forge

The sun rises around 6.20am and sets around 7.35pm for that week.

I appreciate the advise and i will have another go and come up with a new plan for the Peak Forest route.

We are still crossing our fingers that we will be able to do the Cheshire Ring as planned. But perhaps as Mayalid said, the bottom half of the ring is the best bit anyway.

I'd go for the Caldon route, mainly because I find it to be my favourite canal on the network. Just looking on canal planner it's 104 miles and 108 locks - quite a week's work but in the days when we hired we did similar distances. As has been said your only potential issue is making it through the tunnel at the right time.