Help required moving widebeam from Liverpool to Leeds

vingar001

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, hope someone is able to point me in the direction of some help.

I've a widebeam in Liverpool Marina but have a berth waiting on the Aire & Calder. Boat is just about ready to move after a long fit out (not everything completed yet but comfortable). Safety Cert done, waterways license requested, so basically, ready to go anytime - preferably asap as 2 marina fees running in parallel!

I've never navigated a canal boat before and unfamiliar with the etiquette of locks and overnight moorings, yet alone the peculiarities of what I'm told are some difficult swing bridges near to Liverpool plus the dreaded Wigan rise.

I've had the offer of an odd days help but ideally could do with assistance for the whole journey if possible.

A journey planner site suggests it's approximately 120 miles and some 90 or so locks so quite a challenge for a first outing!

Alternative is if anyone knows any reasonably priced transport company and suggestions as to where the boat could be lifted at either end.

Its the swing bridges that are the main problem, locks just take your time .Wigan CRT assist on Tuesdays and FB has a Wigan flight crew site.

Loads of good Moorings so you do not have to do long days.

A journey planner site suggests it's approximately 120 miles and some 90 or so locks so quite a challenge for a first outing!

Good luck - its always exciting - the first journey in a new boat.

You may find it difficult to find anyone available for the whole journey so may end up with several 'day-sailors'.

A company called AB Tuckeys offer a good service for boat movement by road.

What is your beam and weight ?

Many Inland Marinas and cranes have limits which often 'Fatties' exceed.

Tomorrow I am off looking at a boat in Turkey with No1 Son, if purchased it will be sailed 7000 miles back to his home in Cambodia, down the Suez, round Somalia (the pirates have been quiet recently), across to India, down past Singapore, Vietnam etc and into Shianoukville Marina.

This is a 'Fat-Boat' with a 24 foot beam.

It should take around 70-90 days. Quite a challenge.

96315.jpg

I have just finished moving a 70ft by 12ft barge down the Grand Union, out onto the tidal Thames and thence up the Thames to Reading. This was done for a complete novice to boating who had purchased it as her new home, but had no idea how to move it to its new mooring.

From Reading the boat was lifted out and taken to the Trent. I will get details of the transport company for you, and message you later. I will be able to help if you decide to move it by water. I am just going out for the day, will be in touch later today.

Ian. 07704 249 523.

I love doing this sort of thing, having done two long trips as crew for other forum members in June and July plus a short one day trip on Friday (see earlier Crew Swap topics), but must restrain myself, as I need to devote time this month to work, helping my mother, getting my garden under control etc. Despite the distance from Saaf London, I do fancy doing it in September or October if you still need help then and there's a long enough boat trip left to make it worth the journey, but I think there's a decent chance someone will come forwards before then.

It doesn't seem to make sense to me to move a boat by road when there's a perfectly do-able canal route and a nice enjoyable trip to be had for you and your crew, if you can find one or two people to accompany you. As MJG says, a professional boat mover is an option; matty40s and Nigel Carton on this forum do it, and both seem to have a good reputation. My guess is that they would work out cheaper than hiring two cranes and a lorry, but you'd need to get quotes to compare.

Depending on your particular circumstances such as work or any other time commitments, you might want to get out of Liverpool to save your costs there, then take your time doing the move as and when you can get crew, mooring up on the towpath in between. People on the forum with local knowledge will give you plenty of guidance about good and bad places to moor, even if they can't turn out to help you with locks and bridges. Everything I've read on the forum about mooring in the North suggests that as long as you avoid stopping in a few dodgy places, notably certain parts of Manchester, finding an overnight mooring should be easy.

Canalplan, which you appear to have found, is good for planning a trip. If you're in a hurry and you have a properly organised crew member, it's quite possible to cover 40 lock miles a day in the daylight available in August, so your trip might be done in 5 or 6 days, but there are a lot of variables and plans usually have to be adapted as you go along.

Although I’ve never boated into Liverpool:

Are you aware that you need to book a passage with C&RT to get out of Liverpool via the Liverpool Link you and have to give at least five working days notice?

The form can be found from this link https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/liverpool-canal-link

There is also some information on the revised arrangements for the Liverpool link that came into effect on First August 2015

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/4231/liverpool-canal-link

Information on assisted passage on the Wigan flight at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/2857/wigan-flight-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

As well as the usual guide books to the waterway, you might also find the Boaters Guide useful. This can be downloaded from

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides

They are worth a look

Thanks for the responses guys.

The boat is a 57x12 widebeam, mostly kitted out so probably at maximum weight - have no idea what this might be though but guess towards 20 tons

Hi and welcome to the forum

We still consider ourselves novices so please don't take what I say as "gospel", but our 57 x 10.10 came in at 28 ton when AB Tuckey moved us from Chorley down to Braunston a couple of years ago. That was with empty tanks and no furniture or possessions inside.

If you do decide to move it via road they will want to know size and weight. AB Tuckey's can arrange crane out/in as well as the haulage, I would highly recommend them based on our experience if you decide to go that way.

Good luck - its always exciting - the first journey in a new boat.

96315.jpg

Now that is one nice looking boat IMO clapping.gif

Edited by Bettie Boo

Many thanks to everyone for incredibly quick and helpful responses - very much appreciated.

After having dug a little deeper into the weight I'm thinking it's got to be more like 30 tons, which is quite limiting for some boatyards.

Looking at the advice given I think that by canal is definitely the preferred option so have contacted a couple of the boat mover references given and in dialogue about dates etc. so thanks once again for the advice.

The Liverpool end seems a bit of a pfaff but forewarned is forearmed so must make sure I book the passage as soon are dates are confirmed.

post-24776-0-89271300-1439124639_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to everyone for incredibly quick and helpful responses - very much appreciated.

After having dug a little deeper into the weight I'm thinking it's got to be more like 30 tons, which is quite limiting for some boatyards.

Looking at the advice given I think that by canal is definitely the preferred option so have contacted a couple of the boat mover references given and in dialogue about dates etc. so thanks once again for the advice.

The Liverpool end seems a bit of a pfaff but forewarned is forearmed so must make sure I book the passage as soon are dates are confirmed.

attachicon.gifIMG_0031.JPG

Nice looking boat - makes ours look rather tiny icecream.gif

Good luck with your move

attachicon.gifIMG_0031.JPG

If none of the guys on here can help I have the details of a couple who move boats who you could also contact.

We used Matty40s though to move ours and were very happy with the service and the cost.

She who must be obeyed and I have done the L&L several times and it is a doddle. Good markets St James's market in Liverpool for hot Pigs Trotters, The Grand National Course, Wigan Market for Steak and Cowheel pie. Chorley Market. Blackburn for Sarsaparilla Burnley for hot black puddings. Skipton for hot pork pies. And Leeds Market for style. Enjoy your trip. Do not rush. Treat the Wigan Locks as a days trip. Start early before the kids are a nuisance. At the size you are it will take care of itself in the locks Just check the sill when going downhill. I think the run from Nelson to Skipton the prettiest there is plenty of good pubs. It is not just what is on the canal but what is off it. When you look at times Jo Briggs moved 50 ton of sugar from Liverpool to Leeds in 52 hours during the war. Try to keep on the outside of the bend where the water is deepest. The boat takes 3 times its own length to stop. Glide to a landing stage do not do crash stops. Our boat was 62x13.6 and 40 ton.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)
  • Greenie 1

Canal Planer give a guide of 7 Days at 10 hours a day. An alternative is to weekend the boat move it to the Red Rock area on the first weekend then over to Bank Newton the weekend after. I can Help you for a week if you need. Ideally 1 steerer and 2 lock wheelers. minimum.

Canal Planer give a guide of 7 Days at 10 hours a day. An alternative is to weekend the boat move it to the Red Rock area on the first weekend then over to Bank Newton the weekend after. I can Help you for a week if you need. Ideally 1 steerer and 2 lock wheelers. minimum.

I can be the third man for a week. Any time as long as I’m back home by around October Fifth.

There are plenty of heavy haulage companies in Liverpool I have used Liverpool Marina to lift my barge onto a low loader. Wise ltd at Bradford supply straddle lifts for boat haulage if you contact them they may know of a company in Leeds with a canalside straddle lift. To hire a Crane you will need at least a 120 ton because of the reach. They can only lift 120 ton in the middle of the crane, as they jib out the power/balance is drastically depleted.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

Rechecking the C&RT controls. the first 4 locks up to eldonian village are locked by the lockeeper, the Swing bridges near Aintree have to be opened by C&RT staff. Wigan flight is only opened at 8 am.

No chance of an early start to clear the area before to locals come out to play.

• 2 weeks later...