Rufford branch closed UFN 22/7/15

frangar

Featured Posts

I'm not too sure....I've read it both ways now....and the report on the local TV that interviewed a lady from CRT suggested that they were only lifting the four boats that were caught by both stoppages...they did interview another boater from drotwich who was a bit unhappy they weren't being lifted.

I'm going to phone Wigan tomorrow and try to talk to Chantelle Seabourne to see what she says. I'm not too worried about being compensated for my expenses such as extra mooring and travel but now it's rolled another two weeks it's going to make work tricky as well as trying to move boat back to Debdale.

Cheers

Gareth

I am sure CRT are doing the best they probably can. You just have to be patient. Harping on at them will not help. These things happen.

Are you at St Marys?

Yep. They have been very helpful. There's a few of us stuck here....the manager reckons theres about 15 of his boats on the other side.

I know of at least one other boat that's stuck that's in Fettlers plus a few on the towpath at Tarleton.

Cheers

Gareth

Yep. They have been very helpful. There's a few of us stuck here....the manager reckons theres about 15 of his boats on the other side.

I know of at least one other boat that's stuck that's in Fettlers plus a few on the towpath at Tarleton.

Cheers

Gareth

Say hi to Mark the manager from me and Tomy, Karl and the rest hope you have joined the Friday night crowd at the Hesketh

I could think of worse places to be stuck and the cakes in the cafe are to die for

Say hi to Mark the manager from me and Tomy, Karl and the rest hope you have joined the Friday night crowd at the Hesketh I could think of worse places to be stuck and the cakes in the cafe are to die for

Oh indeed there are.....however I do have to try and get back to earn some money to pay for it! It's interesting that CRT are using the Darkside though although I guess they do have Scarisbrick to crane back into.

Will pass on your best wishes

Cheers

Gareth

I am sure CRT are doing the best they probably can. You just have to be patient. Harping on at them will not help. These things happen.

I think you are right; CRT have demonstrated some very efficient repair work up here recently. Situations like this are risks we all take when boating and I'm not sure anyone should expect CRT to cover any costs, including lifting boats around stoppages. Fair enough for them to help organise arrangements for lifting etc but I think the cost should be borne by the individual.

I think you are right; CRT have demonstrated some very efficient repair work up here recently. Situations like this are risks we all take when boating and I'm not sure anyone should expect CRT to cover any costs, including lifting boats around stoppages. Fair enough for them to help organise arrangements for lifting etc but I think the cost should be borne by the individual.

I wouldn't be asking about cranes if it was a week or two but this stoppage will be over two months now even if the new date is kept to....as nothing has been excavated so far there is a chance this too may slip and then we start getting into stoppages and short days.

Not all of us can afford to have two moorings or the time away from work in excess of what was planned I'm afraid.

Edited to add

I'm sure if it was a busy dead end canal like say the langollen there would be slightly more of an outcry. And lifts were arranged on the Aylesbury arm when the lock collapsed as has been mentioned. If there was another way round...however long trust me I would be taking it...I'm not that keen on a sea passage down the Ribble and into Liverpool however.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

I wouldn't be asking about cranes if it was a week or two but this stoppage will be over two months now even if the new date is kept to....as nothing has been excavated so far there is a chance this too may slip and then we start getting into stoppages and short days.

Not all of us can afford to have two moorings or the time away from work in excess of what was planned I'm afraid.

Edited to add

I'm sure if it was a busy dead end canal like say the langollen there would be slightly more of an outcry. And lifts were arranged on the Aylesbury arm when the lock collapsed as has been mentioned. If there was another way round...however long trust me I would be taking it...I'm not that keen on a sea passage down the Ribble and into Liverpool however.

Cheers

Gareth

I am sure CRT will use common sense. I would expect them to help you in any way they can, including allowing you to stay more than the 14 days.

Perhaps those that are stuck could get together and offer help and support whilst the issue is being dealt with.

An opportunity to volunteer and support the local office perhaps?

It's obviously a testing time for all, including CRT and its employees.

Edited to add

Cheers

Gareth

I understand, it's very difficult and I only just missed being caught up in this myself. A major situation like this concerns me every time I cross the Ribble on to the network but I accept it can happen and will have to deal with it if it does. No comfort, I know, when you're caught up in it and I consider myself very lucky to have missed it. And I wouldn't be taking the sea route to Liverpool either!

Part of the problem is that the end date has now slipped after I have taken on work planned around the orginal end date....I suppose this might have been a little rash but being self employed I can't afford to turn away too many clients that I may never get back.

With the whole arm shut there isn't much to volunteer for! The moorers in the Marina did volunteer their services when the breach first happened to help effect a temporary repair along with the Marina owner offering clay dug from the Marina extension and plant from his farm to carry out said repair but this was turned down.

Given that at the moment the culvert is dry a temporary repair could have been carried out and any trapped boats given an opportunity to make a quick trip with a full repair carried out in the stoppage season. I understand that a waterways manager was keen for this route but was overruled.

Edited to add

We are all helping each other out as are the other moorers here at St Mary's...offering lifts to tesco's and the like....Quite the Dunkirk spirit....it's not a bad place to be stuck as has been said.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Stoppage notice just in case anyone concerned isn't on the Stoppage email list. I will be wandering up to watch the 7 day working with interest…...

Cheers

Gareth

Update on 28/08/2015:

Agreement has now been reached with Network Rail to bring plant and materials across the German’s Lane level crossing on the Preston to Ormskirk branch line in between the trains so as not to disrupt services. Large plant will be brought across at night when train services are stopped to ensure safety. The Contractor will now complete installation of the temporary access and haul road from Moss Lane to the culvert, stopped during discussions with Network Rail.

Our Engineers have met with the Environment Agency and obtained Flood Defence Consent for the final repair option which will involve replacing the failed timber culvert with two 750mm plastic pipes and repairing the canal bed with new clay. Two new headwalls will be constructed, re-using the existing stone where possible.

Work commenced last weekend on excavating the eastern embankment and installing a temporary pipe to carry water from the culvert as required by the EA. This will enable the excavator to get into the canal and start excavating the canal bed to expose the culvert next week.

In order to ensure that the canal is opened as soon as possible to minimise disruption to boats, the Contractor will be working 7 days a week, and 24 hours a day where necessary.

Due to the delay caused by obtaining access to German’s Lane level crossing, the canal is now expected to remain closed until 25 September 2015.

Please follow this link to view the update with pictures: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/11723-rufford-branch-stoppage-update-28-august-2015.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Update on 04/09/2015:

Plant and machinery has now been brought onto site and contractors have been busy finishing upgrading German’s Lane and installing bogmat access tracks to both sides of the culvert. Works to provide access to the canal bed through the towpath embankment is finished and work is progressing well on breaking through the inlet embankment.

An over pumping system has been installed to enable water in the culvert to be diverted through a pipe to provide a dry working area. Work to remove the silt and clay from the canal bed to expose the collapsed culvert continues.

Next week, work will start on excavating the culvert and installing the replacement pipes. Work is on programme to enable the canal to open to boats on 25 September.

We met with boaters at Fettlers Marina, Scarisbrick and at Galgate as arranged. Individual arrangements are being made as agreed to get boaters back to their winter moorings as soon as possible after the canal re-opens. Further update meetings at these venues are being arranged and all boaters are welcome to attend. The dates and times for these will be confirmed next Wednesday.

The next progress update will be issued on Friday 11 September 2015

Please follow this link to view the full notice with pictures: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/11809-rufford-branch-stoppage-update-4-september-2015.pdf