Council Tax Confusion

brassedoff

Featured Posts

Hello everyone i am a new member to the Forum,

I am new to boating and i am a little confused about the rules of council tax.

I live with my mum and dad in a house where they pay Council Tax/Bills and i Claim Disability Living Allowance, the Narrowboat belongs to my dad and it will be Moored Up in a Non-Residential Marina, they dont keep tabs on who stays on what boat and how often they sleep on them, the plan was for me to stay on the boat 2-3 nights a week all year round with the hope it would improve my Mental Health Issues.

The Confusion lies here, would my dad or me have to pay Council Tax to the local authoritys where the boat is moored up, or would i be allowed to stay on the boat and not get into trouble ??help.gif

We dont want to get in any bother with the Tax People.

I am under the NHS Mental Health Sytem where i live with mum and dad and this would be my Majority Address.

Any answer would be very much appreciated, sorry for being so green.wacko.png

Good luck with your move to the boat! I hope it helps with your mental health issues. Mental health is such a neglected and misunderstood field of medicine, I hope you are able to find good help for your problems.

If you are going to spend time on the boat by yourself, I'd recommend that you find a canine companion. Dogs are really great listeners, and, when you think about having a session with a psychiatrist, the dog is actually a hell of a lot easier to talk to, and infinitely more understanding than any psychiatrist could ever be.

Just my two pence worth......

Whatever happens, good luck with your issues - I really hope you eventually feel "whole"!

• Greenie 1

Good luck with your move to the boat! I hope it helps with your mental health issues. Mental health is such a neglected and misunderstood field of medicine, I hope you are able to find good help for your problems.

If you are going to spend time on the boat by yourself, I'd recommend that you find a canine companion. Dogs are really great listeners, and, when you think about having a session with a psychiatrist, the dog is actually a hell of a lot easier to talk to, and infinitely more understanding than any psychiatrist could ever be.

Just my two pence worth......

Whatever happens, good luck with your issues - I really hope you eventually feel "whole"!

Hi Paul, thank so much for your lovely reply.

Mental Health Issues are totally misunderstood sadly, i have been under cmht for 8 years and all they do is pump me full of drugs, i have decided to withdraw from them slowly and look at altering my Lifestyle instead, i am soo excited to finally be given such a dream chance of getting on the water smile.png away from all the riff raff rat race.

You know its funny you should say that about doggys i use to have one and he definitely had more sense and understanding than my Psychiatrist frusty.gif , i have already been looking at Beagle's. they look lovely and they are not too big and hairy to dry off if they end up going for a swim.

Thanks again and i am looking forward to chatting some more to everyone on this Forum, everyone seem lovely jublly.

Have a great day today Paul

Good luck with your move; another vote for a four legged friend and the health benefits of liveaboard

Thanks StarUKKiwi, Hoist the main sale and grab the Dog Lead. laugh.png

Chat soon smile.png

Edited by brassedoff

Best of luck chap I think you're looking at this sensibly.

Always remember the purpose of a cmht is to keep you out of hospital, however there are times that the meds which are peddled in the name of "Care in The Community" are more for the sake of the community than for you.

My dog was always my best barometer of my state of mind, if I found him closely following and watching me it was a sign I needed to self examine a tad.

I hope you succeed in weaning yourself off the mind numbing sweeties, however please ensure you don't do it suddenly, you have the proper support and avoid self medicating instead. There are definite advantages and links between boats and chilling out.

Stay cool ... Stay safe.... captain.gif

Best of luck chap I think you're looking at this sensibly.

Always remember the purpose of a cmht is to keep you out of hospital, however there are times that the meds which are peddled in the name of "Care in The Community" are more for the sake of the community than for you.

My dog was always my best barometer of my state of mind, if I found him closely following and watching me it was a sign I needed to self examine a tad.

I hope you succeed in weaning yourself off the mind numbing sweeties, however please ensure you don't do it suddenly, you have the proper support and avoid self medicating instead. There are definite advantages and links between boats and chilling out.

Stay cool ... Stay safe.... captain.gif

Thanks for your nice post,

I could not agree more, Cmht put people on mind numbing medications (Chemical Straight Jackets). i am glad your doggy has helped you, their is something special about animals.

The thing is i have tried the Medication route and i am on a high dose of Anti-Sikes which just takes away everything life is worth living for, so now i am aiming to try my way which will hopefully add a few years onto my total and let me start living the good life. god their is so much more to be had from life other than sleep. lol

Chilling out here we come thanks again, and you stay safe as well captain.gifsmile.png

Edited by brassedoff

They jokingly call them Mood Stabilisers, of course we know they're anti-sikes. They always made me feel squashed like I was communicating with the world through a letter box, my ambition was to lose them and just get down to anti-deps ... which I managed eventually.

I can't stress though the need to pace it down without turning your back on your CPN.

That way you will achieve it and get your independence back, not to mention the waking day! I still have a box of them in store for when I need a crash weekend.

I guess you know all this as your plan to be independent at first for 2/3 days a week sounds cool.

Stay safe chap