Dickinson Antarctic Heater

Robbo

Featured Posts

Hello,

Looking at heating whilst it's summer, and looking at the range of drip fed diesel heaters available, mainly the Lockgate 2000, Kabola Old Dutch and now the Dickinson Antarctic. All look to have a good reputation but does anyone have any direct experience of the Dickinson and what's your views.

Please don't suggest solid fuel, it's not for me.

As well as the above, I'm also looking at diesel cooking stoves and at the Dickinson range, if anyone has one of these they would be great to hear your thoughts on them as well.

Cheers,
Richard.

Edited by Robbo

Hi ya,

Dickinson and Taylor are very similar as far as use goes I think, I had the Taylor drip fed,

I've said it on previous posts, Absolutely Brilliant, once you get the hang of the drip control knob.

Ver very economical, and trouble free due to no moving parts, and or motors, just keep the flame nice n blue, and it doesn't even soot up, small diameter flu, and the whole thing takes up less room than a lot of other heaters. No Wood, Coal, paper, fire lighters to store.

Just Meths and a match.

I have the lockgate very economical last winter had it on 24/7 used 25ltrs a week gets the boat ( 58 ft ) nice and warm

That's one thing the lockgate has a plus point for, both roughly have the same efficiency, but the lockgate can be turned down to 0.9kw, where's the Dickinson is only 1.9kw, this is around 1.5litres difference per day 4.32l for the lockgate and 5.8 for the Dickinson. The Old Dutch (OD4), can be turned down to 1.46kw. My boat is 12ft wide, so I think 1.9kw would be low enough for my boat.

Hello,

Looking at heating whilst it's summer, and looking at the range of drip fed diesel heaters available, mainly the Lockgate 2000, Kabola Old Dutch and now the Dickinson Antarctic. All look to have a good reputation but does anyone have any direct experience of the Dickinson and what's your views.

Please don't suggest solid fuel, it's not for me.

As well as the above, I'm also looking at diesel cooking stoves and at the Dickinson range, if anyone has one of these they would be great to hear your thoughts on them as well.

Cheers,

Richard.

we cook on a Dickinson. its a lot different animal to a gas cooker, we like it but make sure its right for you.

From lighting about 1.5 to 2 hours

That's useful to know, thank you.. Do you use something else for cooking / kettle in summer? I have a built in diesel generator and planning to get a combi oven/microwave so guessing this may cover summer use.

Edited by Robbo

That's useful to know, thank you.. Do you use something else for cooking / kettle in summer? I have a built in diesel generator and planning to get a combi oven/microwave so guessing this may cover summer use.

Electric kettle in the summer, a small electric grill for lunch while the engine is running. In the summer I light the stove about 5pm, and put it off as soon as dinner is cooked, in the winter its on 24/7 while we are onboard.