Is this a DM2?

Featured Posts

Thanks. I was just wondering whether someone might find it a useful source of spares seeing as they may become as rare as rocking horse poo.

As these engines, in their DM2 guise, are still being built, why should the spares become rare? I assume that the factory has stocks of spares for their engines.

As these engines, in their DM2 guise, are still being built, why should the spares become rare? I assume that the factory has stocks of spares for their engines.

It would be interesting to know if this genuinely is the case.

I wonder how many, (if any) new engines they have sold in the last couple of years.

Even if parts are available, my understanding is things like new pistons are eye-wateringly expensive.

Edited by alan_fincher

It would be interesting to know if this genuinely is the case.

I wonder how many, (if any) new engines they have sold in the last couple of years.

Even if parts are available, my understanding is things like new pistons are eye-wateringly expensive.

Well their web site states that they can supply parts for the whole range of D series engines, though there is no price list.

I recall that the company was bought by a hireboat firm a couple of years ago - Willow Wren? - and that their first move was to reduce the price of new engines substantially, which should have stimulated sales. They didn't have a stall at Crick this year though, for whatever reason.

Well their web site states that they can supply parts for the whole range of D series engines, though there is no price list.

I recall that the company was bought by a hireboat firm a couple of years ago - Willow Wren? - and that their first move was to reduce the price of new engines substantially, which should have stimulated sales. They didn't have a stall at Crick this year though, for whatever reason.

They are interesting enough engines, that if new ones were being fitted to boats with any regularity I rather think one might get to hear about some of the examples.

This what a 2013 entry in their blog says.....

Engine plant

Engine building has been slow and we have been making parts for later assembly although the refurbished DM2 is progressing nicely but the shell build is delayed. The DM3 is progressing slowly. Several enquiries regarding both new and refurbished engines though no orders to date.

No clues given if the situation has changed since then though.

Edited by alan_fincher

Another consideration is where the official parts are sourced from and what is the quality? Has RN got all the machines to build a complete engine? Or have they only got the capability to assemble an engine?

I'm pretty sure an old RN is a good investment these days. (if I had somewhere to store it!) :(

• Greenie 1

Well, I e-mailed RN and have received a reply. They are building to order and should have completed three engines in the next six months (though they did not say how long ago the orders were received). These are priced at £18,995 including a PRM260 gearbox, which is a lot of money but probably fair value for a brand new traditional engine. I assume that includes V.A.T. but am not sure. They also have reconditioned older engines for sale at £12,000 to £14,000 each.

So it looks as if it is still a going concern, which is very pleasing. Form an orderly queue with your cheque books, please.

I know where there are a pair on these plus a D3. Under Walthamstow town hall. The site powered both an A bomb shelter plus the North East London strouger telephone exchanges, to be used in such an emergency. Last time I saw them they had only got sub. 500 hrs on them. There is also a store room full of spares.

I know where there are a pair on these plus a D3. Under Walthamstow town hall. The site powered both an A bomb shelter plus the North East London strouger telephone exchanges, to be used in such an emergency. Last time I saw them they had only got sub. 500 hrs on them. There is also a store room full of spares.

Maybe a few interested parties could buy up some of this stuff for futures sake. Unless, it's bomb damaged of course..