Sawley Marina 7 Days on a Narrowboat

Jamie G

Featured Posts

i think its great to have a bit of an understanding of route but personally for a first trip i would just enjoy the trip without to much of a fixed plan and turn back half way taking into account you might have to have the boat back early the last day, a bit more freedom with where you end up might be more fun?

I quite agree that freedom will result in more fun, I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can so we fit in the 'highlights' of the trip. We do need to be back early, we need to be back in Sawley Marina for the last night.

Buy a pearsons canal guide book, perfect for what you need. I travel from kings Bromley marina, my home marina, to the Erewash regularly and for your needs, it's pearsons all the way. It gives approximate hours for each page, shows pubs turning points, what more do you need? We use it on new journeys and it's ideal

We are thinking of turning around at Kings Bromley Marina actually. Not sure we will have time to buy the pearsons canal book, we leave tomorrow morning. I may see if I can get it on an e book

Well I suppose it depends on your definition of long. Plus there isn't a huge number of locks (up to 10 counting up in my head depending where in Shardlow you stop) so while it might be long distance wise you are not held up that much by having to negotiate loads of locks.

The other option would be be to not overnight in Alrewas and stop off for a couple of hours en route to or from Fradley. Personally we used to like to overnight there after getting stuff from the butchers and BBQing.

Overnight in Alrewas with a BBQ sounds perfect MJG. Does Alrewas have a place we could buy a disposable BBQ or would we would need to take them with us?

Overnight in Alrewas with a BBQ sounds perfect MJG. Does Alrewas have a place we could buy a disposable BBQ or would we would need to take them with us?

There is a co-op in the village over the road from Coates the butchers a bit further along. That would be your best bet I would say other than that I'm not sure TBH.

(we just used to always take a small portable BBQ)

The other option would possibly be the garage/petrol station on the A38 on the outskirts of the village but that's a fair old trek from the canal.

Edited by MJG

Stopped at the Swan- Fradley last Sunday lunch. We've had a few bad meals there in the past so had almost given up on it. The carvery was ok- £10 for main and dessert plus coffee- Good choice of meat, veg a little over done,, good choice of desserts. It does seem miserable though- no one behind the bar smiles or chatters or seems friendly- an odd atmosphere, but it still seems to get the trade because of it's location. It always makes me think of the Greyhound at Hawksbury, where the food is good and the staff friendly and you feel welcomed.

. It always makes me think of the Greyhound at Hawksbury, where the food is good and the staff friendly and you feel welcomed.

I have fond memories of there after Dennis our first JRT fell in crossing the gate at the Stop lock, bar staff were very concerned and attentive ensuring we dried him (and his life jacket!) next to the roaring fire...

Edited by MJG

If you get stuck - message me and I'll nip one over- I only live 10 minutes away and pass that way regularly. Enjoy your holiday

If you get stuck - message me and I'll nip one over- I only live 10 minutes away and pass that way regularly. Enjoy your holiday

Wow, thank you Woodstock. I was just thinking how helpful this forum is, seems a great community and then that message came through. Are we likely to get internet signal on the canal to message the forum? We will possibly have two nights in Alrewas, one to BBQ and one to sample the pubs!

Stopped at the Swan- Fradley last Sunday lunch. We've had a few bad meals there in the past so had almost given up on it. The carvery was ok- £10 for main and dessert plus coffee- Good choice of meat, veg a little over done,, good choice of desserts. It does seem miserable though- no one behind the bar smiles or chatters or seems friendly- an odd atmosphere, but it still seems to get the trade because of it's location. It always makes me think of the Greyhound at Hawksbury, where the food is good and the staff friendly and you feel welcomed.

At the Swan you need to understand the land lady, it's just her nature, in reality she is really nice.

Signal is ok generally, but not inside the Swan - thick walls

Sawley to clock warehouse in Shardlow.

Shardlow to Dragon, willington

Willington to bridge inn, Branston

Branston to Fradley Junction

Fradley to Willington

Willington to Shardlow (the other pub)

Back to base

If you make good time, you could always put a stop in at radley on way back

Looks like we might indeed be staying in Willington twice as you originally suggested. Any other good pubs apart from The Dragon?

Looks like we might indeed be staying in Willington twice as you originally suggested. Any other good pubs apart from The Dragon?

Willington has the dragon the star and the green man. There is also a pub in Mercia Marina now called the broadwalk.

ETA. Barton Turn pub allow free use if their brick BBQ next to the lock.

Given you asking about pubs so much am I to assume some drinking maybe going on? :)

Edited by Suzie_q

Willington has the dragon the star and the green man. There is also a pub in Mercia Marina now called the broadwalk.

ETA. Barton Turn pub allow free use if their brick BBQ next to the lock.

Given you asking about pubs so much am I to assume some drinking maybe going on? :)

There may be a wee bit of drinking going on! But mainly asking about pubs to know where is best to eat

I was wrong. We are moored next to the bridge and the sign out the front now says food Sunday night.

One of our favourite as well.

Booked in for tonight on our last night of the two week break.

Thank you all. Bearwood we will indeed go with the flow and will indeed have a great time. The Bridge Inn is definitely on our radar but looking at our plan we maybe there at lunch time on both occasions. Is it worth getting here for the night? Does it require booking?

There are also the Rising Sun and the Green Man - next door to each other and only 100 yards from the Dragon. Neither get as busy as the Dragon. As a matter of personal taste, I prefer the Rising Sun. I would not bother with the Boardwalk at Mercia but again, a personal opinion only.

The bridge is small and can get very full so yes book.

There are also the Gate Inn and the Blacksmith's Arms in the village, both do a wider range of food than the Bridge and in their own ways, are worth the stroll. Particularly if you walk via the lake, not the road from the Bridge.