Warwickshire Avon Visitor Moorings

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Whenever I've travelled on the Avon previously, I've generally moved on every day or two. Now I'm planning to spend a month, exploring more slowly.

The ANT website seems to only list overnight moorings which are maximum stay of 48 hours.

Are there any 7 day or longer VMs on thr Avon?

That is a good question, the guide book for be a good reference, but mine is on the boat. For some reason I am thinking Pershore is 7 days, but I don't know why and I am probably wrong. Why don't you send ANT an email.

Whenever I've travelled on the Avon previously, I've generally moved on every day or two. Now I'm planning to spend a month, exploring more slowly.

The ANT website seems to only list overnight moorings which are maximum stay of 48 hours.

Are there any 7 day or longer VMs on thr Avon?

VM's are in very short supply on the Avon, which is why most of them are 48hour.

You can pay for temporary moorings e.g. at Tewkesbury Marina if you need longer term.

That is a good question, the guide book for be a good reference, but mine is on the boat. For some reason I am thinking Pershore is 7 days, but I don't know why and I am probably wrong. Why don't you send ANT an email.

Did the ANT Avon last year. Fairly sure that from an official stance all the moorings are 48 hour. I booked boat into marina just downstream of Evesham town when I needed to leave boat for a couple of weeks. Cheaper than the one by Evesham lock.

Note that I moored overnight on pontoon just downsrtream of Pershore bridges. Following morning with cold engine and after pulling out into stream, I motored through the main bridge fine albeit slowly, but struggled through the designated arch of old bridge. This was with only a light current running generally. Dread to think what it would have been in near flood. If you do stop there suggest a walk over to old bridge where you can view the turbulence as water passes through the shallow arch.

Did the ANT Avon last year. Fairly sure that from an official stance all the moorings are 48 hour. I booked boat into marina just downstream of Evesham town when I needed to leave boat for a couple of weeks. Cheaper than the one by Evesham lock.

Note that I moored overnight on pontoon just downsrtream of Pershore bridges. Following morning with cold engine and after pulling out into stream, I motored through the main bridge fine albeit slowly, but struggled through the designated arch of old bridge. This was with only a light current running generally. Dread to think what it would have been in near flood. If you do stop there suggest a walk over to old bridge where you can view the turbulence as water passes through the shallow arch.

Is that the rickerty looking pontoons on the right going upstream, I was thinking of the mooring on the park above the lock The old bridge at Pershore is at a bit of a nasty angle, and I guess like the one a Bidford, the navigation arch is probably of the only deep one, and most of the water goes through it.

Here's ANTs list: http://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/downloads/Services%20Mar%20130001.pdf

From memory, this seems to be an incomplete list. For example there's the Old Bathing Place, upstream of Stratford. Would it be silly to assume that, if a location isn't on the list, I could stay as long as I please?

p.s. I think I'll call ANT later.

Here's ANTs list: http://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/downloads/Services%20Mar%20130001.pdf

From memory, this seems to be an incomplete list. For example there's the Old Bathing Place, upstream of Stratford. Would it be silly to assume that, if a location isn't on the list, I could stay as long as I please?

p.s. I think I'll call ANT later.

Well that proves me wrong, Perhore is 48hr. BTW, the old bathing place in only good if you like geese and their sh*t, I would not want to stop overnight there. The elsan there is yuck as well.

We are moored three deep tonight on the Bidford moorings by the recreation ground. Worth it though.

Virtually everywhere we found have been 48hour...some 24 hour but more than one volunteer has told us that stretching the 48hour to three nights is never a problem.

Pershore was another excellent stop last weekend with 30 brass bands at their brass festival.

We've only bought a 14 day pass for £60. The month pass for £70 would have been better. We will have to move along to Stratford in the next day or so.

Came up the Avon last month - all the official ANT moorings are listed as 24hr. There are a couple of old EA sanitary moorings that clearly say that the stations are closed, but don't seem to restrict mooring (above Strensham lock and by the railway bridge below Evesham). Otherwise there doesn't appear to be much private enterprise in offering moorings for the passing boater at all.

The council owned moorings at Evesham and Stratford are marked as 48hr.

The Old Bathing Place above Stratford is signposted only as a sanitary station and not as an overnight mooring. The river through the whole of Stratford is extremely busy with small boats - we collected a rowing boat on our stem coming back downstream. The crew were extremely lucky not to have their boat rolled under and themselves dumped in the river....