Living aboard in Oxford - Mooring

samuelthomson

Featured Posts

disbenefit-----------disadvantage,impediment,setback,hinderance,negative item,

Ah, but FadetoScarlet wrote dis benefit, and Di was wondering what that benefit might be (plus noting a missing possessive apostrophe)

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

I'm struggling to see why anyone would ever give one up - surely if you wanted to move your boat away, you would try to acquire another cheap boat, put it on the mooring, then quicklky resell it for far more, but with the mooring rights?

Maybe not everyone's greedy?

Maybe not everyone's greedy?

True. Some people have more money than sense and don't need to husband their assets carefully. Other people need to be very careful with their money.

I don't see what Alan is suggesting as greed, any more than cleaning up and painting your boat to maximise the sale price could be classed as greed

Ah, but FadetoScarlet wrote dis benefit, and Di was wondering what that benefit might be (plus noting a missing possessive apostrophe)

Tam

I wrote disbenefit, but the iPad autocorrected it.

I can't see a missing apostrophe though :(

Edited by FadeToScarlet

I wrote disbenefit, but the iPad autocorrected it.

I can't see a missing apostrophe though sad.png

I can't see the missing apostrophe either.

Damned autokorreckt. I didn't realise "dis" was a word either!

A colleague of mine is working with one of the research groups and is staying in halls. Like you he's been quoted £5K and considers it to be worth paying for the stress that it avoids. Means he can spend more time in the pub studying.

Hi, thanks for all the thoughts on this! Listening to other peoples' experience/reckoning is very helpful, especially FadeToScralet, fittie et al. I'm most convinced by the added-stress argument that it wouldn't be a good idea.

It sounds like permanent mooring probably wouldn't be cheaper, and if CCing, I'd likely be spending a day a week moving/getting gas/changing batteries/retrieving post etc for a saving equivalent to working in a bar every Thursday (which might admittedly be less spiritually fortifying).

My college hasn't been able to offer anything affordable, but I've seen a few rooms on Gumtree that would cost less than a permanent-mooring. For some reason, the University under-supplies on accommodation while requiring students to have a permanent address in the local area. Now you know where our housing policy comes from.

I think you have made the right decision.

After all perhaps (and maybe this is harsh) you were not actually here to enjoy the canals/waterways; you wanted to seek to do the minimum to enable you to live and study whilst using the place/boat as a cheaper form of accommodation. Those days seem to be ending with enforcement on the rise.

Unfortunately a sad state of the UK accommodation market perhaps.

Edited by mark99

It sounds like permanent mooring probably wouldn't be cheaper, and if CCing, I'd likely be spending a day a week moving/getting gas/changing batteries/retrieving post etc for a saving equivalent to working in a bar every Thursday (which might admittedly be less spiritually fortifying).

Taken literally, I think working in a bar could easily turn out to be more spiritually fortifying...

Cheese!

cheers.gif