Mooring Phone/Broadband Installation

samsharp99

Featured Posts

Has anyone had a phone line installed to their mooring? I'm looking at a couple of places to moor my liveaboard when I get it and one says that you can have a phone line installed (subject to a load of conditions and possible charges) and I'm not sure about the other one so I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone had any idea of how much the installation cost, whether you were able to get broadband through it and what sort of conversation you had with the owners to get their permission. Also - do you just end up with a socket on the electricity/water post or how do you actually connect to it?

I'm pretty happy to give up most mod-cons to live on the canals but as I sometimes work from home and like playing online games I really need a broadband connection.

I know I can get a 4G connection which I probably will do for when I'm away from my mooring but for when I'm 'home' I would really prefer an actual phone line.

I suspect it's all different depending on your mooring operating and the type of mooring you've got. I have a residential mooring with CRT; some of us have phone points, and some of those are connected with broadband (one each of BT and Sky). Mine is not connected, but it would just be a standard contract with BT or whoever. Those on our moorings who don't have phone points have found the main difficulty in get one laid in is how to deal with possible disturbance to the structure of the moorings as it's all a II* listed thing.

I have seen boats connected to landlines so it is possible but see post #2

Have you actually looked at the cost of running a land line as against using 4g.

You may need unlimited download (gaming) and that is unlikely with a 4g contract

Also actual internet speeds is another factor, my daughter on land-line in a large city can only get 2 Mbp's, I can ( with a good signal) get 50 Mbp's on 4g

I am sorry but there is no definitive answer as it will depend on each situation.

I had my phoneline at the mooring removed in January, just couldn't justify the cost and I was on the cheapest provider possible. Since December I have been using EE 4g, due to varous offers from EE it has been free oh and ten times the speed of the copper.

It did take me a while to get the line instaled in the first place as they had to add an extra pole to carry the cable so I have my own telegraph pole. When I changed to Talktalk I had to email the CEO to get it actioned as tbey didnt recognise the address.........

If we had decent 4g here at the cottage I would dump the phoneline here as well.

Edited by Loddon

Apparently you have have a phone line installed at the marina I am currently....but this is third hand stuff, I over heard peoples talking about it whilst i was sunning my self, and taking an interest in my local surrounds.. (I'm nosy) I haven't looked further into it, but it would be handy as the wifi drops out quite a bit.

Just done a check, I am in Oxford area and as you can see the server is in Milton Keynes and the isp. is EE but of course they are as one with Orange and T-Mobile

4478500728.png

Apparently you have have a phone line installed at the marina I am currently....but this is third hand stuff, I over heard peoples talking about it whilst i was sunning my self, and taking an interest in my local surrounds.. (I'm nosy) I haven't looked further into it, but it would be handy as the wifi drops out quite a bit.

This may be because they do not have a very strong transmitter to reduce coverage outside the marina and/or those using it may need better aerials.

or

To many people trying to use it at the same time.

The landline would just be for data - I have a phone line + broadband in my flat and it's only really used for the internet so I know the costs of the line rental etc. but it's the cost of actually having a phone point installed that I'm not sure about. I'm also currently in contract with my current internet provider so I'll have to pay early termination charges if I don't move it over.

You may need unlimited download (gaming) and that is unlikely with a 4g contract

Exactly, and for online gaming I think the latency of 4G isn't that great. If you're on 4G and can open up a command prompt and type 'ping google.co.uk' or run a 'speed test' on your connection you'll get the latency times. Anything over 100ms isn't really good enough for gaming. Saying that, I have just tried it on my Three phone and got 49ms so I guess as long as I get a decent data plan then it should be good enough.

Just done a check, I am in Oxford area and as you can see the server is in Milton Keynes and the isp. is EE but of course they are as one with Orange and T-Mobile

4478500728.png

This may be because they do not have a very strong transmitter to reduce coverage outside the marina and/or those using it may need better aerials.

or

To many people trying to use it at the same time.

There are lots of different wifi channels to log in to, each berth has their own user name and password and only one device per user name can log in at one time. Most of the time I just use my phone and now I have 150gb with EE and a smart little mini usb to hdmi converter thing I can watch netflix galore, so will just continue to do that!

There are lots of different wifi channels to log in to, each berth has their own user name and password and only one device per user name can log in at one time. Most of the time I just use my phone and now I have 150gb with EE and a smart little mini usb to hdmi converter thing I can watch netflix galore, so will just continue to do that!

I am guessing here but I would imagine they all go back to the same land-line.

How did you get 150GB with EE? On their website they seem to only have 25GB a month packages?

I've had 100gb a month since december all due to watching when the do sily offers. First 5 months free last 4 months, I still have two to go hopefully, £5 a month.

How did you get 150GB with EE? On their website they seem to only have 25GB a month packages?

It was an offer the ran it ended at the end of June top up £10 and then text 150gb to some number and they add it to your account. It would appear they do lots of offers.