Lifejacket Query

alvicchas1

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I have an XM 150 Quickfit lifejacket but no instructions. On the lower left of the front of the jacket there is a longish loop of green nylon webbing sewn in. How to wear the jacket is pretty obvious but what is the loop of nylon for?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

for sonmeone to grab you with a boathook?

Thanks - as the jacket should turn you on your back, a loop on the front would sense as a boathook loop.

To get caught on something when you try to take a step and cause you to fall in and test the lifejacket...?

Thanks - my own thought as well - it would be very easy to get it caught!!

Thanks - but the loop is a closed loop and not that big - it would take a Houdini like manouvre to get it around a crotch.

On my lifejackets, the loop folds away inside the velcro outer layer, so it should only be visible/catching on things once the lifejacket has inflated.

You have a similar choice with the manual inflator - do you hide it inside the velcro where it might be hard to find, or leave it hanging a bit loose and so at risk of snagging...

Leave it hanging : if you need it, you need it fast and reliably. If the water is cold, it's amazing how soon fingers (and other body parts) lose feeling and become useless for anything intricate.

Iain

e.t.a. Can one undo velcro with one hand?

Edited by Iain_S

Having had a look at the lifejacket on the tinternet the item you are talking about is the lifting becket and is presumably to hoist you out of the water back onto the boat (with a really strong man operating the boathookunsure.png ). Probably more relevant to offshore use where they have winches and stuff to lift you out again.

I don't have a lifejacket to hand to check but doesn't the velcro undo as it inflates ? (Shows what attention I pay to them when I put them on blush.png )

Yes. But if the auto doesn't work, so that you do need the manual, and it's tucked inside, you'd have to undo a bit of velcro to get at it.