Ruston 2VSH

fergus

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have just recently added a Ruston 2VSH engine to my collection of engines. Very nice engine, lovely sound vhen idling rolleyes.gif But I have a problem with one of the fuel injectors, it is not atomizing correctly.

Parts for the fuel system on these engines seems almost impossible to find, as it was a Ruston product. I have tryed several places in UK, to locate parts or a reconditioned Mark 37 injector for my engine. Managed to find some parts for the injector nozzle, but it's for a VRH engine. Should fit I was told.

It's a sad thing to see such a nice diesel engine turn in to a big lump of metal, just because of a small item as a fuel nozzle.

Does anybody now where to look for injector parts, there must be several of these engines still doing a job onboard some of the narrowboats.

Any help much appriciated........

Erik

I would suggest that you try Peter Slater. They can usually recondition your injector without too much fuss. Injector nozzles are seldom unique to only one type of engine and you will probably find it easier to ring round looking for the injector nozzle number rather than the Ruston part number.

Peter Slater Fuel Injection Engineers Tel. UK Sales: 01724 855214 Northampton Road, Scunthorpe Fax. UK Sales: 01724 280653 North Lincolnshire DN16 1UJ Tel. Export Sales: 00(44)1724 855214 Email: enquiry@pslaterfie.co.uk Fax. Export Sales: 00(44)1724 280653

Hi Erik,

Have you tried dismantling and cleaning the injector yourself? Ruston parts are well made and very robust. i suggest you clean and wire brush the body of the injector, dismantle and soak the parts in diesel, until you can pull the pintle (?) out of the nozzle. You can poke out the spray holes with fine steel wire. Re-assemble using clean fuel , you may have to play around with the spring setting to get the right spray pattern. The Ruston collection here includes 2VTO, 3VRH and 6YDA , all working and assorted bits collected over many years ( but no VSH injectors!)

Bill

I would suggest that you try Peter Slater. They can usually recondition your injector without too much fuss. Injector nozzles are seldom unique to only one type of engine and you will probably find it easier to ring round looking for the injector nozzle number rather than the Ruston part number.

Peter Slater Fuel Injection Engineers Tel. UK Sales: 01724 855214 Northampton Road, Scunthorpe Fax. UK Sales: 01724 280653 North Lincolnshire DN16 1UJ Tel. Export Sales: 00(44)1724 855214 Email: enquiry@pslaterfie.co.uk Fax. Export Sales: 00(44)1724 280653

Hi,

I have already send an email to Peter Slater, but in +30 days I have only received this answer : I will look at it.....I have used Peter Slater before for parts, and at that time they where very quick and helpfull.

Maybe it is just me that can't wait unsure.png

Erik

Hi Erik,

Have you tried dismantling and cleaning the injector yourself? Ruston parts are well made and very robust. i suggest you clean and wire brush the body of the injector, dismantle and soak the parts in diesel, until you can pull the pintle (?) out of the nozzle. You can poke out the spray holes with fine steel wire. Re-assemble using clean fuel , you may have to play around with the spring setting to get the right spray pattern. The Ruston collection here includes 2VTO, 3VRH and 6YDA , all working and assorted bits collected over many years ( but no VSH injectors!)

Bill

Hi Bill,

I have had the injector dismantled many times, in the beginning the needle was stuck, but I managed to get it free. On the Mark 37 injector there is no way to adjust the release pressure, put it all together, that's it.

Nice collection of Ruston engines you have ......

Erik

• 8 years later...

I know this post was a good few years ago now but I have a 3 vrh which I am going to be using in our boat which we are currently extending and then refitting etc.. I am after some decent injectors for it as the ones I have are in pretty poor condition…. but I have a set of 3 brand new injectors for the VSH engine, they came from Ruston and were the very last ones that they had in stock! I bought them as I’d bought a 3 VSH but it was well beyond repair/ rebuilding as it’s been outside for years and years, I don’t think there’s a whole lot of useful bits on it but it does however have all 3 of the injector pumps ( these are in dry storage ) which I believe are as rare as the injectors themselves and all of this might be for sale depending on whether I can use the injectors (with some modifications) to run properly in my VRH.. I’ve just had the pump for the VRH fully reconditioned by marine diesel services in Hove who managed to make one good pump out of the original pump and one form a Lister JP3 that my father had hidden away in his garage! They’ve done an absolutely fantastic job of it so I am one step closer to getting this engine running, seeing as it hasn’t run since the 80’s this is quite an exciting prospect! Any advice would be appreciated 

Check the Ruston and CAV part numbers for the injector bodies, the springs,  and the nozzles.  If they are all exactly  the  same then the VSH injectors are good to go in the VRH.  If not you need to find bodies, and or springs and  or bodies and nozzles or just nozzles, depending on which numbers don't match.

The size, number and orientation of the holes in the injector nozzle are of great importance to smooth running, easy starting and longevity of the engine.  They also have a big effect on its power output.  The injector body positions the injector nozzle in  exactly the right place in the combustion space.

Finally the spring sets the injection pressure which is important for effective combustion and easy starting.

Installing the 'wrong' injectors, nozzles etc.to see what happens is not recommended.  It may apparently work, but if, for example, one of the diesel spray jets is wrong and is hitting the cylinder wall there will be rapid wear to the bore ( because the diesel will wash the lubricating oil away) .  Other possible problems are localised overheating, burning of the nozzles or valves and carbon  build up in th combustion space, the exhaust valves or exhaust passages and bearing trouble.  All  probably accompanied by clouds of smoke and funny noises.

Rustons will have   (or maybe someone like Ricardo will have been paid lots to have) spent much time and effort  to get  the right injection set up.  You change it at your peril.

N

On 06/10/2023 at 10:46, BEngo said:

Check the Ruston and CAV part numbers for the injector bodies, the springs,  and the nozzles.  If they are all exactly  the  same then the VSH injectors are good to go in the VRH.  If not you need to find bodies, and or springs and  or bodies and nozzles or just nozzles, depending on which numbers don't match.

The size, number and orientation of the holes in the injector nozzle are of great importance to smooth running, easy starting and longevity of the engine.  They also have a big effect on its power output.  The injector body positions the injector nozzle in  exactly the right place in the combustion space.

Finally the spring sets the injection pressure which is important for effective combustion and easy starting.

Installing the 'wrong' injectors, nozzles etc.to see what happens is not recommended.  It may apparently work, but if, for example, one of the diesel spray jets is wrong and is hitting the cylinder wall there will be rapid wear to the bore ( because the diesel will wash the lubricating oil away) .  Other possible problems are localised overheating, burning of the nozzles or valves and carbon  build up in th combustion space, the exhaust valves or exhaust passages and bearing trouble.  All  probably accompanied by clouds of smoke and funny noises.

Rustons will have   (or maybe someone like Ricardo will have been paid lots to have) spent much time and effort  to get  the right injection set up.  You change it at your peril.

N

Yeah I had some idea about what you’ve said there.. I’ve managed to get 3 new old stock nozzles for my VRH injectors which arrived yesterday and hopefully we will start stripping the old injectors over the next few days, they are currently soaking to help them come apart a bit easier! In the mean time I’m going to try and get the flywheel back on now the ring gear is all fitted and carry on with the extension of the boat!😊