Lymm mooring restrictions this weekend

Featured Posts

The Federation of Bridgewater Cruising Clubs rally is at Lymm Cruising Club this weekend and all the towpath moorings will be taken up by visiting boats. The Bridgewater Canal Company has posted notices to say that the moorings affected must be vacated by 6.00pm on Thursday 21st May 2015.

If you wish to stop at Lymm when the rally is on you need to stop before Brookfield Bridge if you are heading towards Manchester. If you are heading towards Preston Brook you can stop after Lloyds Bridge but before Outrington woods.

Steve

Just out of curiosity; we were moored in Lymm a few weeks ago and some bloke was measuring the moorings for this event. I asked him if there would be any VM's available and was given a fairly "curt " reply. My question, if we moored there and were told we had to move, under what authority would they move us if we flatly refused to go ? I would never do this of course, just wondering.

Oops. Wish we had seen this! Arrived at 5pm today and saw the notices, so carried on to Dunham. It would appear that there is a mass exodus from Manchester for the event, all travelling pram hood up, despite it being a lovely evening.

Just out of curiosity; we were moored in Lymm a few weeks ago and some bloke was measuring the moorings for this event. I asked him if there would be any VM's available and was given a fairly "curt " reply. My question, if we moored there and were told we had to move, under what authority would they move us if we flatly refused to go ? I would never do this of course, just wondering.

The Bridgewater Canal Company have given their permission and erected signs giving notice in advance of the rally.

The new enforcement officer was on site today checking boats throughout the Lymm moorings.

Steve

The Bridgewater Canal Company have given their permission and erected signs giving notice in advance of the rally.

The new enforcement officer was on site today checking boats throughout the Lymm moorings.

Steve

Ah, thank you for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year (2014) at this time I moored in Lymm beside a sign prohibiting mooring on that date in 2013. As the sign was clearly out of date several other boats also chose to ignore it. Later that day I had an altercation with some Bridgewater official who clearly thought I should have used my psychic powers and realised the sign was wrong! I was told I could moor on the opposite bank until 9 am the next day. Still later that night an aggressive women with a horse-drawn boat insisted she wanted my mooring. I'd had enough - I left!

Why are so many people who organise things incompetent and downright rude? If I had been asked for my cooperation in the first place rather than being TOLD what I could or couldn't do then I would have been much more cooperative.

Edited by Bugsworth Tippler