Red end grain

sanford

Featured Posts

Sorry I mean it is white when you cut it , but then goes red very quickly

I have no idea but am fascinated to find out.

It won't be alder I am sure but that turns from white to a very striking red within half hour of being felled

Edit. Hang on are you talking about fresh felled timber? In which case it will be alder

Edited by tree monkey

I have no idea but am fascinated to find out.

It won't be alder I am sure but that turns from white to a very striking red within half hour of being felled

Edit. Hang on are you talking about fresh felled timber? In which case it will be alder

Yes money is an Alder as well, something to do with the tree's defence system when damaged, I believe. Not to be confused with Red Alder which changes fromk a creamy color to a light reddish brown over a period of time

Yes money is an Alder as well, something to do with the tree's defence system when damaged, I believe. Not to be confused with Red Alder which changes fromk a creamy color to a light reddish brown over a period of time

I must admit to assuming the OP was talking about seasoned timber but then reread the post and realised it wasn't made clear, which is where my original confusion arose.

It's fascinating to watch alder wood turn from its very clean white to the very striking red and yes I also know it's a defence mechanism, although I don't know the compound that causes the colour change

Edited by tree monkey

Hawthorn can also be red but can be distinguished fro alder by the very close grain. The annular rings are very close together making it a really good firewood as it burns hot for a long while.

It can make an awful stink if it isn't seasoned, though!