How long from Northwich to Gloucester?

Featured Posts

I'm thinking of buying a boat that's up near Chester on the Trent and Mersey canal. Anyone done this length of trip and have an idea how long it would take to get to Gloucester?

I,d be looking at 10 hour days when possible.

7 days

I'm thinking of buying a boat that's up near Chester on the Trent and Mersey canal. Anyone done this length of trip and have an idea how long it would take to get to Gloucester?

I,d be looking at 10 hour days when possible.

The title of this thread says Northwich to Gloucester, but above you state Chester to Gloucester.

There are other question, such as your boat, your competence, whether you have a crew and their competence.

I would expect to complete Chester to Gloucester in no more than 5 days with a motor and butty pair (with a crew of me and two others working no more than 12 hours a day - 4 days to Stourport and a day on the River Severn), with any delays being caused by the lock availability on the River Severn. I could probably take half a day out of this with a single boat as the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal is much easier / quicker without a butty.

We did Gloucester to Chester last year in 6 days without rushing. Going the other way should be slightly quicker coming downstream on the Severn, you are restricted by lock opening times on the Severn though.

No Idea how long it would take, it takes as long as it takes and anything involving the shroppie the nearer we are to summer the much longer it will take.

That said if you've got an outboard have you worked out the fuel consumption and where you can fill up, getting petrol isn't always that easy on the cut so I'd find out and factor in where the fuel stops will be, When you plan a route then you might want to ask for some local knowledge about where the petrol stations are en route.

K