Persistently leaky stern gland

Featured Posts

Fairy snuff. All I will add is that I don't think you can tell the state of the actual packing without extracting it. Last time mine was done, although there was still some adjustment left, the old stuff had a well hardened surface where it rubbed against the shaft, so that there was no way it could form a good seal for more than a short while, no matter how much grease was pumped in. In your case, it seems very possible that it's just dried rock hard for lack of grease down the years.

Anyway, changing the packing is a pretty straightforward and inexpensive job so certainly worth doing in your situation, IMVHO.

Now we have been told the boat has hardly moved for 20 years then I tend to agree with you and MtBM

had a similar prob with our boat so I fitted an automatic greaser its basically a spring loaded canister of grease which keeps pressure on the gland and does not allow water to enter the stern, years ago the cost was about £20 don't know what todays price would be they are found on conveyors or moving machinery