Painted Boats film on TV Sunday 26/4/15

Peter X

Featured Posts

On the "London Live" channel which I get as no. 159 on my Virgin Media package, they're showing a season of Ealing Studios films at 7pm on Saturdays and Sundays at the moment, and tomorrow it's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_Boats

Made in 1945, and Wikipedia says:

It is however considered significant by waterways enthusiasts as a fictionalised documentary, providing a rare extensive filmic depiction of a long-gone way of life on England's working canal system in the 1940s.

Location filming took place on the 20-mile stretch of the Grand Union Canal between Stoke Bruerne and Braunston in Northamptonshire, including the Blisworth Tunnel – at 1.75 miles (2.82 km) in length, the third-longest canal tunnel in Britain. Insert shots feature the industrial landscape of Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire, the famous Anderton Boat Lift in Cheshire and the Limehouse Cut in London.

A preserved section of the horse-drawn boat Sunny Valley as featured in the film is on display at Stoke Bruerne Canal Museum.

No doubt the film is available illegally all the time on YouTube, but for anyone who wants to view it with a clear conscience, you can IF you have access to the aforementioned TV channel. I'm looking forward to it...

Durrr: the topic title should say Sunday 26/4/15 of course

On the "London Live" channel which I get as no. 159 on my Virgin Media package, they're showing a season of Ealing Studios films at 7pm on Saturdays and Sundays at the moment, and tomorrow it's:

Made in 1945, and Wikipedia says:

It is however considered significant by waterways enthusiasts as a fictionalised documentary, providing a rare extensive filmic depiction of a long-gone way of life on England's working canal system in the 1940s.

Location filming took place on the 20-mile stretch of the Grand Union Canal between Stoke Bruerne and Braunston in Northamptonshire, including the Blisworth Tunnel – at 1.75 miles (2.82 km) in length, the third-longest canal tunnel in Britain. Insert shots feature the industrial landscape of Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire, the famous Anderton Boat Lift in Cheshire and the Limehouse Cut in London.

A preserved section of the horse-drawn boat Sunny Valley as featured in the film is on display at Stoke Bruerne Canal Museum.

No doubt the film is available illegally all the time on YouTube, but for anyone who wants to view it with a clear conscience, you can IF you have access to the aforementioned TV channel. I'm looking forward to it...

Durrr: the topic title should say Sunday 26/4/15 of course

Corrected title.

N

Made in 1945, and Wikipedia says

To correct wiki, Sunny Valley (ex GUCCCo Northolt) is still still very much in existence, I helped leg her through Blisworth Tunnel a few years ago. The display that used to be in the museum was a fairly crude mock up of a back cabin.

To correct wiki, Sunny Valley (ex GUCCCo Northolt) is still still very much in existence, I helped leg her through Blisworth Tunnel a few years ago. The display that used to be in the museum was a fairly crude mock up of a back cabin.

SUNNY VALLEY was exFellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. horse boat NORTHOLT and had nothing to do with the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd..

edit = The 'crude mock up of a back cabin' at Stoke Bruerne was built at Braunston specifically for use at the museum.

Edited by pete harrison