Fold Away Bikes

mark99

Featured Posts

We both have Bromptons, they must now be nearly 15 years old. We ride towpaths frequently on them. They cost a lot initially and I hate to think about replacement costs, but given their longevity.....

The Kevlar tyres (we find Schwable the best price/performance balance) kept very at very high pressure stop nearly all punctures. They do need changing once the tread wears away though.

An old cycle shop proprietor told me years ago to buy new tyres before they are needed & keep them for several months in a cool dark place to cure the rubber properly. He was right, since doing as he said we've found tyres last far longer and puncture less easily.

Bromptons (or any other small wheel fold up bike) are great...until you hit one of those sticky up wood boards that are a feature of CaRT eroded towpaths and the front wheel does a broadside. Don't ask How I known this.ohmy.png

My vote is for anything you like the look of on eBay.

The smaller size wheels are really only any good on smooth or paved surfaces, but it's a tradeoff for size when folded or wedged onto trains.

We got a pair with 20" wheels, so they don't fold very small, but are more stable on rougher stretches of towpath. They are not a patch on a proper size bike wheel, but are less likely to cause impromptu swimming practice.

If you are any risk of swimming practice, it might be because you are buying "for anything you like the look of on eBay".

In my experience a good quality 20" wheel bike competes very well on all but the very roughest towpath. However the much older and less compact folding "shopping bikes" we used to use, (various Raleigh / Dawes or even Halfords offerings), made the whole thing a bit of a dare devil experience. On the whole you get what you pay for, I would say.

My vote is for anything you like the look of on eBay.

That's how we got ours.

A few years ago Ikea, instead of giving their employees a Christmas bonus, gave them folding bikes, in smart Ikea blue, which were in fact Raleighs with 16" wheels. The idea was that the employees would ride them to work which would keep them fit and would be good for the environment. Some did just that but you can guess what the rest did - put them on eBay. We got ours from an Ikea worker; it had never been out of its box and his Mum was fed up with tripping over the box when she was doing the housework. It cost us about £90 including delivery to the boat and was literally in brand new condition. I have not scoured eBay for them lately but I suspect they still turn up, and they are good value.

Edited to add: a look on eBay shows that several have sold there this year, ranging from £25 to £82, with a couple of them described as "as new" or "ridden only once".

Edited by Athy

We had a pair of Brompton, though on is now on eBay because my other half has narcolepsy and can no longer ride. We also had a Bickerton, amazing, v light but bendy and wobbly frame. I didn't mind riding it but not many do.

• 5 weeks later...

Would you like one of mine on permanent loan?

(I use my Dahon Jack these days, brilliant bike!)

Mike what was the wheel size of that bike you showed me t'other day?