Bruntons box on National

billh

Featured Posts

Some advice please. The reduction box is supposed to have heavy gear oil in if I understand right? The gearbox proper uses engine oil circulated from the engine sump. Somehow the two sections are kept separate, I suppose some shaft seal. I found that the reduction box has engine oil in and no gear oil . I suspect it has run like this for a long time in previous ownership. Can I put off dismantling and fixing seals or is disaster imminent in the reduction box? As I say , there is a lot of engine oil in there, which isn't leaking out and everything works just fine.

Thanks

Bill

So far as I can tell, the sealing system between the boxes never worked terribly well.

All the ex-GU/BW Bruntons boxes that I've come across have had a link pipe added between the bottom of the reducing gear and the bottom of the engine sump. An admission of the inevitable, that the reducing box gradually fills with engine oil and this allows it to find a common level with the engine sump.

Tim

Some advice please. The reduction box is supposed to have heavy gear oil in if I understand right? The gearbox proper uses engine oil circulated from the engine sump. Somehow the two sections are kept separate, I suppose some shaft seal. I found that the reduction box has engine oil in and no gear oil . I suspect it has run like this for a long time in previous ownership. Can I put off dismantling and fixing seals or is disaster imminent in the reduction box? As I say , there is a lot of engine oil in there, which isn't leaking out and everything works just fine.

Thanks

Bill

The reduction box is intended to run on engine oil and there is no form of separation between that and the main box.The connecting pipe between the bottom of the reduction box and the sump is there to send excess oil back to the sump if yours is a dry sump system or to maintain an oilbath at the same level as the sump contents for the reduction wheel if you have a wet sump engine. Edited by Lady Muck

The reduction box is intended to run on engine oil and there is no form of separation between that and the main box.The connecting pipe between the bottom of the reduction box and the sump is there to send excess oil back to the sump if yours is a dry sump system or to maintain an oilbath at the same level as the sump contents for the reduction wheel if you have a wet sump engine.

>>>>> Info from Tony Dunkley who cannot post on here at the moment because he has been suspended from the forum on account of a few creeps who do not like him.

As originally built, the reduction box was intended to have its own separate oil sump with gear oil, as described in the 'manual'. I've owned a couple of non-canal boat Nationals with Bruntons boxes, they were indeed like this.

I think that the 'seal' between reverse and reduction will have proved especially inadequate in working Narrow Boat service, with its very frequent ahead/astern operation.

The mainshaft slides back and forward for clutch operation, and heavy use soon wears any 'seals' (felt rings IIRC). In typical sea boat use, the separate lubrication will have been more viable.

Tim

As originally built, the reduction box was intended to have its own separate oil sump with gear oil, as described in the 'manual'. I've owned a couple of non-canal boat Nationals with Bruntons boxes, they were indeed like this.

I think that the 'seal' between reverse and reduction will have proved especially inadequate in working Narrow Boat service, with its very frequent ahead/astern operation.

The mainshaft slides back and forward for clutch operation, and heavy use soon wears any 'seals' (felt rings IIRC). In typical sea boat use, the separate lubrication will have been more viable.

Tim

Tony confirms what you have said and also the reduction pinion works loose on the mainshaft and thetwo feather keys and oil finds its way through there as well like it does on the Listers boxes on JPs and HA ,HB ,HRs.

The reduction box is intended to run on engine oil and there is no form of separation between that and the main box.The connecting pipe between the bottom of the reduction box and the sump is there to send excess oil back to the sump if yours is a dry sump system or to maintain an oilbath at the same level as the sump contents for the reduction wheel if you have a wet sump engine.

>>>>> Info from Tony Dunkley who cannot post on here at the moment because he has been suspended from the forum on account of a few creeps who do not like him.

I think you should stick to the facts.

He wasn't suspended for that reason. Lady Muck gave a general overview of why suspensions occur and clearly explained it was to do with conduct on here and nothing else.

Are you intent on derailing every topic crying about TD temporarily not being allowed to post.

I think you should stick to the facts.

He wasn't suspended for that reason. Lady Muck gave a general overview of why suspensions occur and clearly explained it was to do with conduct on here and nothing else.

Are you intent on derailing every topic crying about TD temporarily not being allowed to post.

I said in the other topic it wouldn't take long for Anthony's posting style to bleed through and blow his cover. rolleyes.gif

I said in the other topic it wouldn't take long for Anthony's posting style to bleed through and blow his cover. rolleyes.gif

I only asked about an 'owd gearbox , I'm not interested in where your venom & 'ate is directed, keep it in the VP please.

Thank you to Tim and Tony (via George) for useful information.

I only asked about an 'owd gearbox , I'm not interested in where your venom & 'ate is directed, keep it in the VP please.

Thank you to Tim and Tony (via George) for useful information.

I believe you will find it was Tony who started the "venom" by calling the mods "creeps"

George doesn't exist by the way.