GOING FISHING

Janet S

Featured Posts

Don't say you weren't warned!

Well, my fishing trip with Martin James from Radio Lancashire was yesterday, and I'm now home, really fed up. It didn't go as well as I expected.

It went far, far better than that! We met up at a private game fishing stretch of the River Ribble near Clitheroe, in the heart of beautiful Lancashire, to be greeted by a herd of sheep and recently born lambs bleating and running towards us in the expectation of a free meal. A truly beautiful area. Martin wasn't too impressed at my bright yellow & blue Keela jacket, but it was the only one I had that is completely waterproof, rather than just showerproof, so I didn't have much choice of clothing, having been advised to be prepared for rain. The forecast said sun and showers, but fortunately we were blessed with a lovely day. It stayed reasonably warm and overcast until the end of the day.

We tackled up in the fishing cabin, where Martin looked at my size 12/14/18 hooks, and promptly decided they were not up to the job, and produced a hook that would have landed Moby Dick! I believe it was a size four, although my mind's in such a whirl right now, I can't be sure. I'm still on a high! Anyway, it was BIG! It was only a few hundred yards from the cabin to the river, but it was a big step for me. I was about to show all my angling inadequacies to a REAL expert. I can't begin to tell you how nervous I was! This was me, a silly middle aged woman with a man who really KNOWS how to fish. I was so worried that he'd laugh at my failings, but he was wonderful.

I was surprised that Martin didn't take a rod himself, but he assured me that he was fine - he was there to help me learn, rather than to fish himself. He told me to fire away, with all the questions I had, and he was brilliant. Felt very guilty depriving him of his fishing. To stay with me, watching me lose what could've been good fish must have been pure torture for him! I think I possibly drove him slightly mad with my silly queries, but he had the utmost patience, and answered every one of my questions with sound, sensible advice, and many entertaining and informative anecdotes, which I'd best not repeat!

Martin is what I would call a real angler on the river. No fancy hair-rigs, boilies, complicated rigs etc for him. All we took for bait was bread, and a bit of luncheon meat for later in the day. Morrison's Extra Thick (and I can thoroughly recommend it after today's experience!) I knew from listening to his "At the Water's Edge" broadcasts on Radio Lancashire that he was very much an advocate of bread, but it's hard to believe that you can catch so much on it until you actually see it in action. The angling press would have us believe that we need their exotically flavoured (and expensive!) products, but I've learned a valuable lesson today. Simple is good. We were using LG shot to hold the line down. A bit like marbles, only slightly smaller! That was it! Five LG shot on the line, and a chunk of expertly hooked bread crust. We had bites from the very start of our session. It was only my lack of angling experience that prevented us from having a big haul of chub on the bank.

After baiting up for me, and showing me how to hook the crust, (we only used crust to start with, then luncheon meat in the afternoon) we cast out and waited. It wasn't long (minutes!) before Martin was shouting (politely, I may add!) at me to strike. The rod tip bent, but I was too slow and missed it. As I also missed the next one, and the one after that, and the one after that! I could have curled up and died with embarasssment. He had taken a day out to help me, and I was proving a total numpty! This was so different to the fishing I'd done before, mainly on the canal.

He must have been SO frustrated, and I'm sure he was itching to snatch the rod from my hand, but he showed admirable reserve. (He didn't swear at me once, although if I was him, I would've called me all the names under the sun, given me a quick slap and taken over the rod!) I've mainly been fishing on the canal, which is totally different to this. On the canal you don't need to strike so hard. Here, you needed to really stop being a cissy and give it some welly!

Then, it happened. There was a slight twitch, then the rod tip bent round. That was it. No more warning. As I'd learned previously, they don't give you a second chance. I grabbed the rod butt as if my life depended on it. When I say it bent, I mean it bent! It whanged round like it meant it! These fish mean business! Martin shouted, I struck (thankfully in time!) and there was a fish on! I really had to land this one. I couldn't let him down after him giving up a day of his time for me. This was nothing like I'd experienced before. Normally I'm fishing quite close in for perch, roach and the occasional bream. This fish was quite a way downstream. The stretch of the line and the feel of the rod was very different to what I'm used to, but Martin guided me as to how to play it. Keep the rod bent, Guide the fish upstream. Lower the rod, reel in a bit, keep the rod bent, keep a bit of pressure on, reel in again, don't rush it. No sudden moves. Just take it gently. Keep that rod bent. Don't let it get away. Thankfully, I managed to bring it in, and Martin held the landing net as I lifted its head out of the water and guided it in over the rim of the net. Result! Not huge for the rest of you anglers, but a fantastic PB for me!

I was grinning like the proverbial Cheshire Cat! I had caught a scale perfect, beautiful 3lb 11oz chub. My first, just as he'd promised, and my largest fish so far. I know (or I hope!) I'll catch larger fish in the future, but I'll always remember this one. We left it safely in the water in the landing net, then Martin went back to the cabin to get his camera for our picture. I normally hate getting my picture taken, but on this occasion I couldn't stop smiling long enough to tell him to stop!

After a short while without a bite, Martin decided we should move slightly down river, to a spot by a fallen tree which he was sure would hold some chub. This guy is 70 years old. He has a bus pass. He's allowed to take things easy. And did he? Not on your life! He sprinted through that wood and by the river bank like a gazelle on illicit drugs with a death wish! He carried two rods, bank sticks, landing net, and rucksack, leaving me to have both hands free. I needed them! I slithered and slipped in his wake! I was hanging onto trees, grabbing bushes and generally getting muddy, with the sure and certain knowledge that I was going to end up in the water. He never faltered. And then, unfortunately, I let him down yet again by failing to make the most of a really positive bite. I was gutted.

Martin threw in a few large balls of bread to tempt the fish into feeding, then we adjourned to the cabin for a spot of late lunch and a cup of tea, (although I was far too hyper to eat - did enjoy the brew though!) then back to the river, where Martin set me up with TWO rods! Very scary. Had a bite straight away in our first spot (which I missed again!) then we moved downstream, back to the spot where I caught my first fish. There, we had another bite after a very short wait, and I hooked into it! It seemed to take forever to get it into the bank, but I'd remembered all the advice I'd been given, so it wasn't quite as bad. Just a bit smaller than my first, but still a decent size, so we didn't weigh it, but released it carefully. I'm sure it was totally oblivious to the pleasure it had given!

I can't believe how much I've learned. Keeping it simple and having confidence is vital, as is watercraft, and I've learned a lot of that today. Above all, it comes down to experience and knowledge. I don't have either yet, but I'm getting there slowly. What an amazing day, and what a lovely guy.

Can't wait to get back out and put all his teaching into practice.

Janet

That's not the end of it for me. Once the season starts again in June, he's taking me over to the River Aire. Later in the year he's also going to initiate me into the art of fly fishing.

Brilliant guy, and what a character! Simply amazing the amount of time he gives up to help newcomers like me. He's a real inspiration.

Janet

Hi Janet,

Sounds like you had a great day, great fish that chub, well done indeed. The chap that took you out for the day sounds like a diamond. I know what it feels like to be inspired by people like that; back in the 80's I was lucky enough to fish several lakes with some of the best carp anglers in the country at the time, i was totally inspired, apart from fishing time i used to spend hours and hours by the lakes just walking and talking to these guys. Lessons learnt back then have caught me hundreds of fish since and the deep love of the sport you can develope lasts forever. Welcome to the addiction that is angling lol

:cheers:

The anglers amongst you may like to click on the following...

FishingMagic

They've published my little story as an article! Fame at last! Apparently it's also going to feature as an article on AnglersNet after the weekend.

So, with less than two weeks to go before the end of the coarse fishing season, what are your plans?

Are you going to leave your bivvies and carp puddles and go stalking on the river? Try and catch a wild fish that doesn't have a silly name? Sorry if I've offended any carp anglers there, but you are such an easy target! I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.

Anybody booked March 14th off as a holiday, or are you all going to phone into work with excuses?

Janet

Wow! Got home from work today to find an e-mail telling me that a letter I wrote about Martin's radio show (sent weeks ago, before our fishing trip) is going to be published in this weeks's Anglers Mail, and I've won a prize from Cormoran.

Don't know what the prize is yet, but I'm chuffed to bits. I NEVER win anything!

Janet

Wow! Got home from work today to find an e-mail telling me that a letter I wrote about Martin's radio show (sent weeks ago, before our fishing trip) is going to be published in this weeks's Anglers Mail, and I've won a prize from Cormoran.

Don't know what the prize is yet, but I'm chuffed to bits. I NEVER win anything!

Janet

yes you do - you just did

Whilst I completely disagree with any "sport" that involves abusing creatures for fun, (I can't let people get on with their fun without preaching - how sad) I just heard on the Radio (4) that a woman has just caught the largest pike ever caught by a woman. How do they know?

Whilst I completely disagree with any "sport" that involves abusing creatures for fun, (I can't let people get on with their fun without preaching - how sad) I just heard on the Radio (4) that a woman has just caught the largest pike ever caught by a woman. How do they know?

A big pike worthy of an entry into the angling books of history is a fish of 35lbs or over. This weight reduces the amount of entries into which research is required to establish whether the entry is true. An Angler by the name of Fred Buller researched over 230 of these big pike going back as far as 1784. The result of what must have been years of hard work resulted in his book " The Doomesday book of Mammoth Pike" . A very interesting read. Where Fred Buller left off another angler called Neville Fickling took up the reigns and has recently completed a book called simply "Mammoth Pike" which brings the list up to date. An entry which will no doubt be made in the next update will be one of 39lb 8oz caught by Lyn Baker from a Scottish lake ,this being the one you refere to. Hope I hav'nt bored you but you did ask.

• 2 weeks later...

So, what are all you river anglers doing now that the close season is upon us?

I'm off fishing tomorrow, again with Martin James from Radio Lancashire, for a day of fly fishing tuition on the River Ribble. Once again I can't wait!

I've never tried fly fishing, so this is going to be a steep learning curve! Luckily Martin has endless patience, and is a brilliant teacher. Quite a guy to give up days of his time like this to teach a beginner.

Janet

So, what are all you river anglers doing now that the close season is upon us?

I'm off fishing tomorrow, again with Martin James from Radio Lancashire, for a day of fly fishing tuition on the River Ribble. Once again I can't wait!

I've never tried fly fishing, so this is going to be a steep learning curve! Luckily Martin has endless patience, and is a brilliant teacher. Quite a guy to give up days of his time like this to teach a beginner.

Janet

I have a small commercial fishery not three quarters of a mile from my house - it is heaving with small carp and a few larger carp up to twenty odd pounds. It was also stocked with some big perch which are very rarely caught - if at all. There are also some bream and tench.

It's a great place to have some fun - easy fishing unless you set your stall out for the bigger fish - and a great place to try new techniques

Its where I learnt to freeline

This year I'm tempted to see what I can do with natural fruit as bait, strawberries and such - I saw some carp taking hawthorne berries off the surface last autumn

I had quite a few good sized roach on elderberries towards the end of last summer.

Had to laugh this morning, when I went for my usual brew and natter at my local angling shop. They're now selling strawberry flavoured luncheon meat.

Is that for catching fish, or for catching anglers?

Janet

If it's flavours you want Janet, look here. Look at the "Liquid Flavour Attractors".

http://www.rodhutchinsoncarpbaits.com

I've got some Monster Crab liquid ( securely capped ) shut in a cupboard in the utility room.......and I can still smell it at the other end of the house. Luckily my wife can't!!

Dick

I don't like the idea of catching or killing fish for the fun of it. I stumbled on one of the hundreds of fishing programmes today on one of the Discovery channels, the 'Expert' like so many before him took great delight in keeping the wretched creature out of the water for the maximum time, gasping for it's life giving oxygen, why do all anglers seem to do this, bystanders and others would much rather see the fish returned to it's element without delay. Come to think of it most would rather it was not dragged out of the water in first place.

the 'Expert' like so many before him took great delight in keeping the wretched creature out of the water for the maximum time, gasping for it's life giving oxygen, why do all anglers seem to do this

Most of us don't. It just isn't necessary.

I'm pleased to say that most of my catches are never even taken out of the water, but released with the minumum of fuss. The exception was the picture of my first chub, which was only in my hands for a matter of seconds before it went safely back.

Janet

I'm off fishing tomorrow ... for a day of fly fishing tuition on the River Ribble. I've never tried fly fishing, so this is going to be a steep learning curve!

I like fly fishing, as you're constantly working the fly I find it more interesting than sitting watching a float. However, I was somewhat put off when I caught a hundred-and-sixty-odd pounder. No. 14 Butcher (barbed), straight through the eyebrow. Never felt it go in but it bloody hurt coming out.

From personal experience, wear a hat and glasses at all times, and watch where the wind's coming from.

I caught a hundred-and-sixty-odd pounder.

After hearing your tale, I'll be extremely careful tomorrow!

This session is really just to teach me how to cast, which will mainly be done on grass. If I'm good enough to pick up the basics quickly, then there's a chance that I might get on the water, but I don't expect to catch anything. We're planning a proper fishing session later in the season, when I know what I'm doing!

We're only going for a few hours, but I'm really looking forward to it. Martin is an absolute inspiration. I've just bought, and read, his autobiography, and it really put my petty problems into perspective.

Janet

• 2 weeks later...