GOING FISHING

Janet S

Featured Posts

Janet if you can get to see Sky even if for only a day - have a look at "A Passion For Angling" with Bob James and Chris Yates

It's on Discovery Real Time Extra twice a day for a while and is about two very competent anglers who have a wonderfully refreshing view of the sport - and since Chris Yates is a fan of antique tackle and traditional techniques his style of fishing really gets down to basic principles - I think you'd really enjoy it

Edited to add; and Chris Yates was the British record holder for carp for many years with a monster of 54 pounds - actually while I think about it he might STILL be the record holder - spotted the fish while on a campaign for a record Gudgeon in Redmire Pool

Edited by Bazza2

I don't have Sky (tend not to watch a lot of TV), but funnily enough I've just bought a copy of A Passion for Angling off EBay. Really enjoying reading it. I'm currently trying to find the series on video.

Off to practice my fly casting this weekend!

Janet

I don't have Sky (tend not to watch a lot of TV), but funnily enough I've just bought a copy of A Passion for Angling off EBay. Really enjoying reading it. I'm currently trying to find the series on video.

Off to practice my fly casting this weekend!

Janet

Spooky!!

Janet if you can get to see Sky even if for only a day - have a look at "A Passion For Angling" with Bob James and Chris Yates

It's on Discovery Real Time Extra twice a day for a while and is about two very competent anglers who have a wonderfully refreshing view of the sport - and since Chris Yates is a fan of antique tackle and traditional techniques his style of fishing really gets down to basic principles - I think you'd really enjoy it

Edited to add; and Chris Yates was the British record holder for carp for many years with a monster of 54 pounds - actually while I think about it he might STILL be the record holder - spotted the fish while on a campaign for a record Gudgeon in Redmire Pool

Hi Bazza,

I agree about A passion for angling, my favorite TV angling series. The nauture side as well as the angling filming was exceptional, especially when you consider how long ago it was made. I did find the contrast between the two guys techiniques very interesting. Yatsey is well known for his love of the ancient (tackle wise) and Bob James is verymuch a modern tecnical angler.

Regarding Yatesey's record fish, it actually weighed 51lbs 8oz and beat Dick Walkers record which had stood since 1952 at 44lbs, that fish a famous Common carp was the countries first 40+ fish, it lived out its life in London zoo and was christened Clarissa. Both were caught from Redmire Pool as had the previous record of 31lbs. Yates's record was beaten many years ago now by an old mate of mine, lee Jackson with a fish of 61lbs. The record was beaten again this year by a fish known as ''two tone'' from a big gravel pit at Conningbrook, the weight 65lbs 14oz...a real monster !!!!

Here endeth todys carp history lesson lol

Rgds

Les (retired carp nut)

Hi Bazza,

I agree about A passion for angling, my favorite TV angling series. The nauture side as well as the angling filming was exceptional, especially when you consider how long ago it was made. I did find the contrast between the two guys techiniques very interesting. Yatsey is well known for his love of the ancient (tackle wise) and Bob James is verymuch a modern tecnical angler.

Regarding Yatesey's record fish, it actually weighed 51lbs 8oz and beat Dick Walkers record which had stood since 1952 at 44lbs, that fish a famous Common carp was the countries first 40+ fish, it lived out its life in London zoo and was christened Clarissa. Both were caught from Redmire Pool as had the previous record of 31lbs. Yates's record was beaten many years ago now by an old mate of mine, lee Jackson with a fish of 61lbs. The record was beaten again this year by a fish known as ''two tone'' from a big gravel pit at Conningbrook, the weight 65lbs 14oz...a real monster !!!!

Here endeth todys carp history lesson lol

Rgds

Les (retired carp nut)

Thanks for bringing me up to date Les - 65lbs - bloody hell that's continental class!!!

Yeah absolutely....and a native fish at that. How long the record will be held by a native I cant predict but at the rate some of those french fish were coming over here a few years back it cant be long before that changes.

Rgds

Les