how long to fill up /empty out

moth

Featured Posts

Hi

I,m off on our first cruise at the end of my in a 69 ft boat, 4 adults and two teenagers, the question is how much water does the tank hold and how oftern do i need to empty the loo.

The amount of water held will depend on the size of the tank, not being flippant they all vary, when I have hired they always suggested to fill up every day.

Same with the loo, depends on use,

Sorry got to go wanted on the phone

It depends....

Our (shared) boat is reputed to have a 200 gallon water tank, and can take an hour or more to fill, but typically I top up when just less than half full and this usually takes about 20-30 minutes. I find with four on board we could go about 2-3 days before reaching the half full level, so I guess we are using ~10-12 galls per person per day. Boats I see for sale seem to advertise anything between 100 and 200 gallon tanks.

Waste holding tanks both on hire boats I've experienced and my own boat seem to usually be sized for about a week's use of the full complement of crew, but then again it will depend on the boat! You should have some way of easily checking the level. In the case of a Mansfield traveller you just look down the hole!!

//Mike

We've just been on holiday on a 58 1/2 ' boat. We stopped twice to take on water and left the hosepipe in for about 1/2 hour and we did'nt pump out at all. We were told we would'nt need to with "normal" use and there were 5 of us. So I guess it all depends on what your interpretation of "normal" is really. BTW they were right we did'nt need to pump out and we had two "grown" men on board who seemed to spend a fair bit of time each day in the library everyday!! :) Sorry guys but I think thats a man thing!!

Hi

I,m off on our first cruise at the end of my in a 69 ft boat, 4 adults and two teenagers, the question is how much water does the tank hold and how oftern do i need to empty the loo.

I know this may sound strange, but why not fit a water gauge and a waste water gauge? No guessing at all then.

Hello

We have always taken on water every day (as advised by the hire company) depending on flow can take anything from 30 mins to an hour. This depends on water usage, we like to shower every day and on a 6 berth boat with 6 on board this equals a lot of water. Also if you aim to take on water every day if you can't for a day it doesn't matter. ie water point too busy, broken (we have found this often) or on the map but is not there!!

Toilet pump out, interesting question, prior to the last two years regardeless of how many on board we have always had two loos and have had no problems on a weeks holiday. On a 10 day break, fair enough we have had a pump out. But! on the last two years one week hols we have had to have a pump out after 4 days!! Thats with 2 loos and only 5 on board, but when the red light shows you daren't not do it, reasons? Partial pump out before we take over? New toilets that use far more water than before? We noticed that new loos seem to double/triple flush using far more water then filling tanks that much quicker. The old style with the foot pedal used less water the new electronic ones use loads.

Your thoughts

Julie

Depends on the tank sizes.

Our water tank is 500, so we can last a week without filling up, but cruising I'd suggest every day or every other day (the hire place can tell you the tank size).

We have two pump out toilets, both with 250 tanks. With moderate use we can use these for 3 weeks without pump out, but normally if you are going out for more than a week, they would probably ask you to pump out once during that time. With four adults and two teenagers, that would be quite heavy useage, so you will probably need one pump out at least.

If it's a cassette loo, then every day probably with that many people.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. At least you will have plenty of crew to help with locks and ropes etc!

Enjoy!

All good stuff from the forum as usual, just a couple of more things that might help. This size of boat will almost certainly have two pump out toilets try and share there usage equally to balance out the boat and the load. To avoid pump out remember if its yellow let it mellow and if its brown flush it down, works for us!

To avoid pump out remember if its yellow let it mellow and if its brown flush it down, works for us!

The thought of gallons of Pee sloshing about on a hot summers days and gently simmering until someone wants a No 2 has always disgusted me.

When cruising we fill the water tank about twice a week (about 150 gall) and empty the toilet tank monthly(about 80 gall)

we do have gauges on both tanks which are well worth fitting on an owned boat.

We do spare the water when showering by wetting then lathering then rinsing off, we never leave the shower running, as you would at home. We use the toilet in the same way we would at home, that said, it is dual flush and that helps.

...Our water tank is 500...
Im guessing thats litres, not gallons?

Or tank is 80gall, and we can make it last the week between the two of us and the engine if we're carefull.

- Loo-wise we have a porta-potti (shit suitcase the rescue...) they hold next to nothing, but it will last a month if you dont use it. 2days with a woman onboard...

Daniel

I know this may sound strange, but why not fit a water gauge and a waste water gauge? No guessing at all then.

They stated t appear on the mrket a couple of years ago but I won't bother with one. The portapotti will get emptied evry three days and the boat is its own water guage: anodes half out = time to fill up.

Nick