VETUS GSH4SIK FARYMANN ENGINE REPAIR

Blazeaway

Featured Posts

Today I got the gen set out of the engine bay to start tye process of finding out why the eng8ne will not fire up.

I rigged up a fuel supply and a battery and the engine turns over fine and fuel is getting through all ok. The injector is working fine.

Next we took the rocker cover off to establish correct valve gear o0eration. All ok there too.

So head off and all looks ok no damage to valves and piston all intact and moving freely.

All back together and cranked over still does not start. There was signs of carbon buildup at top of cylinder and maybe it is not developing full compression. We did notice blow back out of the intake side whilst cranking.

So now i need the engine repaired, might well need a rebore new piston and rings plus head overhaul.

Anyone know where I might get this done ?

I am in Warwick.

Today I got the gen set out of the engine bay to start tye process of finding out why the eng8ne will not fire up.

I rigged up a fuel supply and a battery and the engine turns over fine and fuel is getting through all ok. The injector is working fine.

Next we took the rocker cover off to establish correct valve gear o0eration. All ok there too.

So head off and all looks ok no damage to valves and piston all intact and moving freely.

All back together and cranked over still does not start. There was signs of carbon buildup at top of cylinder and maybe it is not developing full compression. We did notice blow back out of the intake side whilst cranking.

So now i need the engine repaired, might well need a rebore new piston and rings plus head overhaul.

Anyone know where I might get this done ?

I am in Warwick.

If as by the sound of it you have eliminated fuel etc as the cause then it sounds like it could be compression. However, in most cases it is not all cylinders down on compression so I would have expected some coughing and even rough running as one or two chambers are working OK or at least better than the damaged ones.

An easy check you can do since you have the head off is a valve leak test. Turn the head upside down and fill each chamber top with diesel and watch which one if any leaks the diesel away through the valves. If one or more do then you will know you are losing compression through that one or more and you need to get some new valves or possibly reseat the present ones. If they do not over say 20 mins lose any diesel they are probably OK. Then you can put the head back on and do a compression test if you can get your hands on a test gauge. That will then tell you which piston chamber(s) is/are dodgy.

There used to be an excellent engine recon place in Leamington, Heathcote automotive maybe? Years since I went there with a busted BMC 2.2 . Did the engine suddenly stop working or did it gradually die? could be a valve seating issue leading to low compression, could just need valve seats / grinding in etc. blowing back through the intake could be where the compression is going.

It is actually a single cylinder engine. Good idea to test valve seating with diesel, I'll do that tomorrow and will gove the valves a grind and full head decoke.

Copper gasket looked ok and didnt see any obvios leaks but will carsfully check that too.

Thanks all for great suvgestons so far.

If you can't fix it easily Frank, I'm in Kenilworth and boat engines and gearboxes (and cement mixers - how did that happen?) is what I do.

Happy to offer advice too

Richard

It is actually a single cylinder engine. Good idea to test valve seating with diesel, I'll do that tomorrow and will gove the valves a grind and full head decoke.

Copper gasket looked ok and didnt see any obvios leaks but will carsfully check that too.

Thanks all for great suvgestons so far.

sorry I didn't realise your engine was a single cylinder.

I hope a valve reseating helps get it running.

Normally if the gasket has blown it will be pretty obvious where the gasket has been burnt or blown away.

P.S. You could do a lot worse than get some help from RWLP if your stuck.

Edited by churchward

Now slept on it ...aka dreamt about it all night long.....my current belief is its one of two issues

1 timing

2 valve seats not sealing

Timing because that fits with blow back on induction side and the lack of suction on cranking.

Valve seàts same really but it would probably try to run but badly.

Timing I think is not gonna be easy as the generator attached to it needs to come off....

Btw its never run in my ownership so cant comment on how failure has occurred previous owner says it did run in past but he is not a tinkerer so doesnt really know failure mode.

There used to be an excellent engine recon place in Leamington, Heathcote automotive maybe? Years since I went there with a busted BMC 2.2 . Did the engine suddenly stop working or did it gradually die? could be a valve seating issue leading to low compression, could just need valve seats / grinding in etc. blowing back through the intake could be where the compression is going.

Good stuff Bee cheers....defo on the money with that.

I think (WARNING) this is your engine: http://www.farymann.com/engines.php?page=15w-18w

And Farymann spares seem to be available: http://www.dieselpower.co.uk/contact-us/

Richard

Thanks Richard might well take you up on that could you PM me your phone number please.

We did notice blow back out of the intake side whilst cranking.

This is not uncommon for this engine below are things that will need checking

01. Valve seats

02. Cylinder bore

03. Piston rings

​I can normal supply spares on a 2 / 3 day turn round

Keith

Just an update......made progress but still not running.

Had the head off today and did the diesel test, the inlet valve leaked through, not badly but still leaked, inlet seemed less of a problem.

Anyway did a full de-coke on the head and re-seated valves and then re-assembled it.

Re-tested and definitely a lot more compression, lots of white smoke but still it would not fire up.

I think now I need to hand it over to someone as I just don't have the time to dig into looking at piston, rings and bore.

Having worked to this engine many times

If you can get it run this may free up the rings

My guess is that the generator has been used with a light load for some time

When the generator is running the load should be about 70% of the generators output

Keith

I know nothing about Faryman single cylinder generators but ISTR that they may have an automatic de-compressor? I have no idea how this works but I guess that the exhaust valves are kept open until a governor mechanism closes them; i.e. you have to crank fast enough to close the exhaust valve. If your generator has this feature it may be failing or you are not cranking fast enough.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on this.

Took the lump over to Richard in Kenilworth and he confirmed that bore is excessively lipped at the top and thus we think its losing compression via this and maybe the rings.

So new liner is being made and new head gasket and rings will be installed and we will see if that cures it.

• 1 month later...

Update for all in case its useful. Primary root cause found and fixed. Gummed up decompression device.

New liner and rings didn't cure it, although they both needed to be done so that's good for the future.

Further head scratching and grey matter employed. Turned up a 'repair manual' online which mentioned if you have low compression then "...check the decompression device..."

http://fischerpanda.com/marine-pdf/Farymann.pdf

Duly found this device and it was in a very poor state all gummed up. Removed and cleaned and hey presto it lives.

So its now all back together and awaiting collection and re-installation back in the boat.

Thanks to Richard and Sue of Primrose Engineering in Kenilworth for persevering with it and getting the thing back to life.

Devious Farymann engineers! There's a decompression device that holds one of the valves open, operated by a lever on the side of the tappet block. And this engine doesn't have a lever, never has. But it does have the device!

They must build every engine to a standard level and then add 'options'. In this case, the option that isn't fitted is the decompression lever

All done to confuse a poor engineer

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Dimwhit that I am I swapped over the wires as discussed but still no joy so swapped em back. Then whilst sitting there thinking about what next I noticed the trip switch on the front panel so flicked it from down to up tried again an RESULT. Finally job done.