...blocked stove grate...

one of the hidden

Featured Posts

Hello Everyboby! :)

I have a Hobbit Stove.

The gaps in the grate keep blocking up with a white/grey solid material, which is very difficult to clean off, its as hard a concrete!

What can i do to stop this from happening?

I'm using Blaze Excel to keep the stove in over winter.

Your replies are greatly welcomed...

Thank you :)

Hello Everyboby! smile.png

I have a Hobbit Stove.

The gaps in the grate keep blocking up with a white/grey solid material, which is very difficult to clean off, its as hard a concrete!

What can i do to stop this from happening?

I'm using Blaze Excel to keep the stove in over winter.

Your replies are greatly welcomed...

Thank you smile.png

You may be forcing the stove (too hot). Clean the grate with a poker every time you put more coal on. Or try a different fuel such as Multiheat. A few bits of broken fire brick laid and kept on the grate would probably work too. Steam loco firemen sometimes do this to help break up clinker and stopping it from becoming solid on the fire bars.

Is it a non-smokeless coal? This crap is the result of tar and stuff running back into the stove and setting solid. You get less of it the higher quality the fuel you use.

It is pretty brittle though, so try donking it with a mooring hammer and/or using a poker to bash it up to break down.

Ps., if it's in your grate, it will be setting in your flue and on the baffle plate too, bear in mind.

May not be relevant, but the external riddling grate on my 10 year old Morso panther was very difficult to operate for a few years until eventually last autumn when I tried it the round centre of the grate fell apart. It was only then I realised that the metal had fractured which is why it had been so difficult to use. I replaced the central part and it's good as new. Could your problem be something similar?

grate_frame_3.jpgbig_M44162500%20Grid%20style%20grate.JPG

Edited by blackrose