Trad Narrowboat (Counter/Stern Design)

Androo

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Or the pikeys have just moved out. What a tip.

Since you asked, Jeff was on the boat last, in recovery from his 2 hour general anaesthetic surgery for an impacted wisdom tooth and cyst. Whilst on the boat his jaw spontaneously fractured and after a lot of grief, to cut a long story short he had to drive home unexpectedly. After a 3 day hospital stay for IV antibiotics and having his jaw wired up rigidly so he can’t move his mouth at all (no talking, no food - not even soup, only pure liquid food and a lot of pain) we  are at week 2 of 6 weeks of that and finally managed to get down to the boat late last night after 425mile drive, for some relaxation and change of scene. I did consider tidying a bit (still finishing off the lithium battery install) but the questioner is I suspect more interested in the structure and less about the tidiness. And trying to be a helpful person as opposed to a pathetic point-scoring arsehole, I felt it more important to take and post the pictures before I forgot.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Since you asked, Jeff was on the boat last, in recovery from his 2 hour general anaesthetic surgery for an impacted wisdom tooth and cyst. Whilst on the boat his jaw spontaneously fractured and after a lot of grief, to cut a long story short he had to drive home unexpectedly. After a 3 day hospital stay for IV antibiotics and having his jaw wired up rigidly so he can’t move his mouth at all (no talking, no food - not even soup, only pure liquid food and a lot of pain) we  are at week 2 of 6 weeks of that and finally managed to get down to the boat late last night after 425mile drive, for some relaxation and change of scene. I did consider tidying a bit (still finishing off the lithium battery install) but the questioner is I suspect more interested in the structure and less about the tidiness. And trying to be a helpful person as opposed to a pathetic point-scoring arsehole, I felt it more important to take and post the pictures before I forgot.

He did very well getting home, hope he has a good recovery.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

6D29FE18-6162-48C1-B8DF-070BF16D0D8F.jpeg.62709059232e9df0f16fab13aa00fb4c.jpeg

step folds up to allow door to close

29054E56-D1D0-4BAA-8AA7-B223446D06D9.jpeg.19eea6050fdc87aaa896ae9a550dd83a.jpeg

there’s an angle steel structure supporting the boards. The front vertical board lifts out, complete with step, to give access to alternators etc

9B9F64F0-362F-4B4D-ADFE-89DB21099A3D.jpeg.05f6ab42453d44c99adc0902ca76f516.jpeg

CB5611B4-1EE7-44E0-9353-228AEF4A860F.jpeg

Thank you for taking the time to show pics etc 

I have a look tomorrow try work out to do the same if possible 

30 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Thank you for taking the time to show pics etc 

I have a look tomorrow try work out to do the same if possible 

no probs. I suppose a consideration is that our boat is quite deep drafted, about 32.5”, which means the engine is set low relative to the waterline, which allows just about enough space between top of engine and top of roof to make it work. If the boat had 6” less draft and same height cabin, that would be 6” off the space above the engine which would make it rather tight for getting humans past without crawling!

Edited by nicknorman
Typo

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

no probs. I suppose a consideration is that our boat is quite deep drafted, about 32.5”, which means the engine is set low relative to the waterline, which allows just about enough space between top of engine and top of roof to make it work. Of the boat had 6” less draft and same height cabin, that would be 6” off the space above the engine which would make it rather tight for getting humans past without crawling!

I looked round a boat by Northwich Boat Company which this layout with a normal draft, but created headroom over the engine with an unusually large hatch, which I thought was a very good design

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

To much info, excuse accepted but don't do it again else we will send the cabin inspector round.

How hard did you hit him to spontaneously fracture his jaw? Or did you talk too long?

Edited by Tracy D'arth

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

To much info, excuse accepted but don't do it again else we will send the cabin inspector round.

How hard did you hit him the spontaneously fracture his jaw? Or did you talk too long?

I have always suspected it, but now I know it for certain.

That you are an arsehole. Or worse, but apparently this is a family forum.

16 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

no probs. I suppose a consideration is that our boat is quite deep drafted, about 32.5”, which means the engine is set low relative to the waterline, which allows just about enough space between top of engine and top of roof to make it work. If the boat had 6” less draft and same height cabin, that would be 6” off the space above the engine which would make it rather tight for getting humans past without crawling!

Well thanks you very kind to help me and hope you be feeling better soon