CaRT Volunteer Article in Weekend Telegraph Today

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

By proper kit I had assumed it was the hand held devices used by CRT not sure what information the app gives but then I doubt if it gives personal info but going by change in t&c guess that information is going to be made available to a whole new group of people

I am assured, by Matthew Symmons ( if you can believe anything he says ) that the volunteers take numbers with pen and paper, then input them through a web page. they are identified by laminated ID around the neck but have no other CRT clothing. he further asserts that data ftom random members of the public taking numbers is not used as sighting data.

I am assured, by Matthew Symmons ( if you can believe anything he says ) that the volunteers take numbers with pen and paper, then input them through a web page. they are identified by laminated ID around the neck but have no other CRT clothing. he further asserts that data ftom random members of the public taking numbers is not used as sighting data.

That is even more worrying if enforcement use that information for location when it comes to taking action

Which raises the question about what other info. they have access to once they have entered the index number onto the web page??

One wonders if it just accepts the data of index number and location and that is it or if once you have entered it you bring up info. about the boat, it's owner etc etc.

Anyone spot the name John Inman -I'm free ! ?

Yes - soon to be starring in the new farce.

"Are You Being Served <a Section 8>".

Prime candidate for taking over "The Bottom Inspector" character from Viz comic.

nnnn_zpsc39861cf.jpg

Which raises the question about what other info. they have access to once they have entered the index number onto the web page??

One wonders if it just accepts the data of index number and location and that is it or if once you have entered it you bring up info. about the boat, it's owner etc etc.

I am not noted for being an apologist for CRT but I imagine on this occasion there will be no feedback of data to the inputer as there is no benefit from so doing.

I am assured, by Matthew Symmons ( if you can believe anything he says ) that the volunteers take numbers with pen and paper, then input them through a web page

Well based on a document I have here "Instructions for volunteer inputting boat sightings at visitor moorings, then that bit of what Matthew told you does seem to be correct.

They don't input data into a CRT supplied phone or other device as they are collecting it. As I have seen them entering data into a device, i can only assume it is their own device, being used in lieu of paper and pencil?

They are however asked to submit photos and descriptions of boats they can not locate an Index number on, wither on the boat, or on the licence.

they are identified by laminated ID around the neck but have no other CRT clothing. h

Does a laminated ID constitute a "Uniform" then, because the volunteer vacancy notices say.....

We will provide relevant safety advice and provide you with a uniform and necessary equipment.

The ones I have seen have definitely been wearing the blue "CRT Voluteer" sweatshirts, but maybe they volunteer for other roles as well, and these have been supplied for those?

I am not noted for being an apologist for CRT but I imagine on this occasion there will be no feedback of data to the inputer as there is no benefit from so doing.

Actually it appears that when they upload the sightings data, the boats may get highlighted on the display - amber (about to overstay in sub zone), red (overstaying in sub zone) or black (overstaying in whole zone).

The notes say this is for information only, and is for CRT staff to deal with, not the volunteers.

Which begs the question, why highlight that information to the volunteers, if they are then instructed to ignore it?

There seems to be no suggestion volunteers get to see any more information about the boat owner, or any of their personal details.

Edited by alan_fincher

Well based on a document I have here "Instructions for volunteer inputting boat sightings at visitor moorings, then that bit of what Matthew told you does seem to be correct.

They don't input data into a CRT supplied phone or other device as they are collecting it. As I have seen them entering data into a device, i can only assume it is their own device, being used in lieu of paper and pencil?

?

There surely must be an app for those with suitable phones if not now I am guessing in the near future. But the last time I was noted on a visitor mooring was by a guy with pen and paper. He was a little narked when I asked to see his ID, which he had, so no problem.

There surely must be an app for those with suitable phones if not now I am guessing in the near future. But the last time I was noted on a visitor mooring was by a guy with pen and paper. He was a little narked when I asked to see his ID, which he had, so no problem.

They are probably just using a very basic 'notepad' or 'memo' type application rather than anything specifically suited to the task. Most if not all smartphones come with something that would be better than a notepad and pen.

There surely must be an app for those with suitable phones if not now I am guessing in the near future.

I thought that early on it was stated they would have CRT supplied devices, but if so, that seems to have been dropped at the moment.

Of course any such device would need to be able to work "stand alone" with no Internet connection, as at several of the places they wish to record, mobile data coverage is patchy or non existent.

Um just to clarify. I am an Educational volunteer and I have absolutely nothing to do with reporting anyone for anything. I do wear a HiVis vest when I am out on the locks at Bingley along with a flotation aid. I am not in any position of authority even though I do, occasionally, wear a HiVis vest. I know nobody has challenged me on it but I though I had better clarify my volunteering role.

They are however asked to submit photos and descriptions of boats they can not locate an Index number on, wither on the boat, or on the licence.

Does a laminated ID constitute a "Uniform" then, because the volunteer vacancy notices say.....

The ones I have seen have definitely been wearing the blue "CRT Voluteer" sweatshirts, but maybe they volunteer for other roles as well, and these have been supplied for those?

Actually it appears that when they upload the sightings data, the boats may get highlighted on the display - amber (about to overstay in sub zone), red (overstaying in sub zone) or black (overstaying in whole zone).

The notes say this is for information only, and is for CRT staff to deal with, not the volunteers.

Which begs the question, why highlight that information to the volunteers, if they are then instructed to ignore it?

There seems to be no suggestion volunteers get to see any more information about the boat owner, or any of their personal details.

as I say I would trust Matthew Symmons further than I could throw him so his assertion that volunteers don't receive any information about the boats is at best a lie of omission. because, of course, the kind of person who would volunteer for this role is going to be influenced by the 'status' of the vessel. eg returning to a 'red' flagged boat more often than normal.