Water pump

webdev

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

My boat is 3 years old, and in recent weeks my water pump has already started leaking. Is this normal for a new pump to fail so quickly?

My pump is a Jabsco brand one (model 31395), and it has always made noises in the night, like it's trying to pump even when none of the taps have been used for hours. I've checked the taps themselves and none of them are leaking. So does this mean the pump itself has a fault - or maybe the pipes themselves?

Also, if it does need replacing, are there any links or websites which provide good advice and tips on how to refit?

Many thanks!

webdev

Sound like your high pressure cut out is to high for the pump and the pump virtually stalls before it switches off.

Running at such a high pressure has cause it to fail/leak?

When you haven't used the water and the pump cuts in, how long does it pump for? You may have an accumulator problem as well.

When you say leaking do you mean there are drips and damp patches around it or do you mean it must be leaking because it runs frequently with the taps off.

If its the former then its faulty.

If its the later then it may be its valves are leaking back to the tank . This is marginally less likely if you have a strainer on the pump inlet pipe somewhere. Have you checked the PRV on the calorifier is not weeping. If it is try giving the knob on top a few twists with the pump on. This will jump the valve up and down so water pressure can wash any debris off the valve face. If it still leaks its a new valve but first check the pump cut out pressure has not altered so the system pressure is now higher (or close to) the PRV setting.

I do not see why anyone who is even a little bit practical should need instructions.

Turn valve off that is normally close to the tank or clamp hose.

Disconnect two wires (probably on one or two connectors) noting which way round they go.

Disconnect two hoses.

Unscrew mounting screws.

Refit but do NOT over-tighten the mounting screws.

If you have ridgind pipes on the pump change for "tap connector" flexible to minimise vibration and thus noise.

Thanks for your replies, both. I had some problems with my logging back on to my account so I couldn't back to you any sooner.

It's definately the pump that's leaking by the looks of it, there was a steady trickle coming from underneath it when I got back home the other night. So I drained the tank completely and turned off the valve, which has stopped it leaking completely. I've ordered a new one of the exact same model, which should be here in a few days. They're only £65 so I can't really grumble about replacing it.

I'm normally OK at basic DIY stuff (servicing the car, etc), so I'm hoping they're not too difficult to fix. I was just concerned with it being a pressurised system - I didn't want to remove one of the connecting pipes only for it to lose the pressure, and then I can't get the thing back together. The other thing was I didn't want water leaking all over the cabin floor when I undo the pipes, which should at least be minimised now I've drained the tank.

I'll have a go at fitting it and get back if I have any more issues!

Many thanks

Always turn your pump off when going out in case of a sudden high pressure leak like a connection leak or a pipe suddenly pops off. Last year I had to renew the whole rotted bathroom floor on a boat because of poor erm professional plumbing, no inserts in plastic piping.

If it were me I'd be on the phone to Jabsco to äsk why the pump is leaking. I can't remember the name of the Jabsco distributors but I called them several years ago about replacing a Shureflow pump and they were very helpful.

The main one I think is Cleghorn Waring, Icknield industrial estate, Letchworth, Herts.