Propeller shaft squeek

Featured Posts

I have an old 70's harborough marine with a squeek coming from the propeller shaft somewhere. I ran it for a couple of days without using the stern greaser as I was waiting for a replacement, on the last day it was squeeking really badly, now i have replaced the stern greaser and used it, however there is still a small squeek when in certain revs. is there anything I can do as its really annoying!!

Mitch

I used to get a 'squeak' like that...but mine was more prominent in reverse. It was caused by the alignment being slightly out..and this was worse when reversing due to flexing of the engine mounts.

As my prop shaft was worn anyway..I would sometime pull away and it could be very loud...but as I moved forward..I would suddenly give it a high blast of reverse..to pull the shaft back to a slightly different position...that would reduce it.

Difficult to know for sure without actually listening ,but could be a bit dry in the stern tube. If it is the fix is pretty staight forward so worth a try.

Disconnect the prop shaft from gearbox ( either at coupling or where it actually bolts to gearbox flange) give greaser a couple of turns and push shaft to rear into stern tube about 3" or so,if you havnt done this before dont worry it will not go flying out the back!!! Work it in and out a couple of times then reassemble and see if alls better.

Klim

I have an old 70's harborough marine with a squeek coming from the propeller shaft somewhere. I ran it for a couple of days without using the stern greaser as I was waiting for a replacement, on the last day it was squeeking really badly, now i have replaced the stern greaser and used it, however there is still a small squeek when in certain revs. is there anything I can do as its really annoying!!

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

There is something you can do.... once you've fixed the problem you caused by running your shaft whilst the greaser was out of action, don't cause the same problem again by running your shaft next time your greaser is out of action! wink.png

Restoring lubrication to machinery damaged through being deprived of it isn't usually going to fix it. The increasing squeaking should have been a warning but, hopefully, since that greaser is there to keep the stern seal watertight, the fix might not as expensive as running other moving machinery without proper lubrication can sometimes be. If you get another issue in your drive train, don't run it until you're completely certain it's safe to do so.

Not much help this time, I know, but it might stave off another issue later. Fingers crossed the issue's not to hard to correct. Good luck.

Difficult to know for sure without actually listening ,but could be a bit dry in the stern tube. If it is the fix is pretty staight forward so worth a try.

Disconnect the prop shaft from gearbox ( either at coupling or where it actually bolts to gearbox flange) give greaser a couple of turns and push shaft to rear into stern tube about 3" or so,if you havnt done this before dont worry it will not go flying out the back!!! Work it in and out a couple of times then reassemble and see if alls better.

Klim

If you do that - and the shaft won't move readily if the packing has worn a groove into it - then check that the couplings slip back together easily (crude alignment check). My money is on poor alignment as a likely cause, as per previous post.

Tim

A 1970's Harborough marine almost certainly would or did have a solidly mounted Lister SR2 or 3 in it. Complete with the Lister brilliant rubber tyre flexible coupling and also very likely a Fenner thrust block with twin Timken roller bearings in it between the flexible coupling and stern-tube. This is all really good proper boat drive line installation stuff. However, over the years if the shaft alignment has never or seldom been checked it could be out, especially if your boats shaft has no separate thrust block.

Had a bad case of howling shaft .Pulled it to bits,repacked stern tube,loads of grease,no different. Pulled the thrust bearing off( Python Drive) Sounded O.K. As the bearing was made by some unknown firm,I replaced it with an equivalent SKF bearing. No more noise.Sometimes ,the only way to find out if a bearing is faulty is to replace it. If the noise is coming from the stern tube,is the packing to tight. You should be able to turn the shaft by hand.

Thanks for your suggestions will try the more simple ones and see if it stops. Does the boat have to be out the water to change the bearing on the shaft?

Mitch

Yes, if you mean the cylindrical stern-tube bearing.

Ps Well it is possible to do it in the water,BUT, if the thread in the stern post steel collar which the tube bearing screws into is knackered which is very possible due to the boats age you will be in trouble, in fact, in deep water. PS Again. Not to mention getting the rudder out of the way and the shaft withdrawn enough ect ect. NO, on no account attempt it.

Edited by bizzard