Hatton to Chirk

isatis

Featured Posts

At last we are going ahead with our purchase, things a little held up with land registry, no not the boat the flaming house down the house selling chain.

So we will be picking up narrowboat on the 7th of January and bringing her up towards home for now

trying to plot route round stoppages and Coseley Birmingham is closed until March

Does any one know of a route to get us home by the end of the month preferably with out giving it a piggyback on a lorry and avoiding stoppages. I would be very gratefull

At last we are going ahead with our purchase, things a little held up with land registry, no not the boat the flaming house down the house selling chain.

So we will be picking up narrowboat on the 7th of January and bringing her up towards home for now

trying to plot route round stoppages and Coseley Birmingham is closed until March

Does any one know of a route to get us home by the end of the month preferably with out giving it a piggyback on a lorry and avoiding stoppages. I would be very gratefull

I think theres stoppages on the golly, both tunnels, check the stoppages website

are you top or bottom of hatton??

If at the bottom, you are not in luck.

If at the top, you can go up to the Birmingham summit of the Grand Union, Gas street,head up and then take the Walsall/Curley Wireley and down the Wolverhampton21. So long as you are up the Shroppie by the end of January, the route is do-able.

Edited by matty40s

If at the top, you can go up to the Birmingham summit of the Grand Union, Gas street,head up and then take the Walsall/Curley Wireley and down the Wolverhampton21.

I don't think it's as straightforward as that.

Looking at the stoppages list the OP can go to Brum on the GU but Ashted No 5 is shown as being out 5th Jan - 1st March so after Camp Hill they'll have to hang a right and go down the Garrison flight.

Perry Barr is out 5th Jan - 8th Feb (No 8) and 9th Feb - 13th March (Nos 2 - 11) so they can't use the Tame Valley to get to the W&E and would have to turn left at Salford Jn and go back towards the city center up the Aston flight.

And they can't go to Brum up the Lapworth locks as the W&B is closed until 13th March due to the University Station access works.

ETA: I meant to say last night that heading north out of Brum, going down Ryders Green and up the Walsall locks to the W&E, added to the above would be good practice for the BCN challenge!

Edited by Victor Vectis

I've no experience of moving a boat by lorry so I might be wrong but my guess is that the major cost is craning it out and back in again. Once the boat is loaded moving it is a minor consideration.

What I'm trying to say is that once its loaded you may as well take the boat to its final destination.

Do you have to shift the boat during the stoppages season? How about this for an alternative.

You say you at at Hatton. There are plenty of 14day towpath moorings between there and Brum: top of Hatton, Rowington, Lapworth, below Knowle, above Knowle and Catherine de Barnes on the GU for a start. (Don't think I'd leave a boat beyond C de B though) There are more if you turn left at Kingswood Jn and head to Brum up the North Stratford and the W&B.

If you don't like the idea of leaving your boat unattended on the towpath there is the mid Warks. Boat Club at Hatton and the Black Boy Club just short of Knowle. They might have a temporary mooring to suit.

Kingswood Basin at Lapworth seemed to have more than a few spaces when I was there the other week. If you contacted the mooring manager (I can PM you his number if you want) he might be able to give you a mooring until the stoppages are over.

Hope this helps.

SAM