adverc battery management wireing question

Dignity

Featured Posts

Does anyone know much about the Adverc and its wireing. There is a twin set of black wires that run from the main box, according to the instructions they go to the alternator negative or B- post. My vetus alternator has no such thing, only the main feed B post. This was all wired up fine till I took the alternator off for repair, now of course I can't remember where these wires go there not an earth because theres 6v coming down them.

Does anyone know much about the Adverc and its wireing. There is a twin set of black wires that run from the main box, according to the instructions they go to the alternator negative or B- post. My vetus alternator has no such thing, only the main feed B post. This was all wired up fine till I took the alternator off for repair, now of course I can't remember where these wires go there not an earth because theres 6v coming down them.

Hi,

from the installation manual:-

ADVERC BLACK - (Twin leads) B- terminal or case if earth return.

Roger

I think its simply the negative connection to allow the Adverc to piggy back the alternators own internal regulator. They go to B- terminal or alternator case if its not isolated return, which would be the situation if theres no B- terminal.

What interests me is that the Sterling DAR also has two parallel wires for the same connection with a note that if absolutely neccessary there can be a short extension but they must remain as a pair of wires. Maybe one for SirN.

I think its simply the negative connection to allow the Adverc to piggy back the alternators own internal regulator. They go to B- terminal or alternator case if its not isolated return, which would be the situation if theres no B- terminal.

What interests me is that the Sterling DAR also has two parallel wires for the same connection with a note that if absolutely neccessary there can be a short extension but they must remain as a pair of wires. Maybe one for SirN.

It's so that the negative connection to the electronics including the voltage sensing reference doesn't share an impedance with the negative return of the relatively high current drive to the regulator. When the early models had a single wire they showed a tendency to burst into oscillation. I once asked Adverc if it might not be better to have the negative reference connected instead to the battery negative, but I never managed to get them to answer that question.

It's so that the negative connection to the electronics including the voltage sensing reference doesn't share an impedance with the negative return of the relatively high current drive to the regulator. When the early models had a single wire they showed a tendency to burst into oscillation. I once asked Adverc if it might not be better to have the negative reference connected instead to the battery negative, but I never managed to get them to answer that question.

Thanks for that. Sounds like an issue that was solved retrospectively and maybe down to PWM frequencies. I wonder who discovered the issue first since it seems it was initially unpredicted, Sterling or Adverc. I'll take a bet that one copied the other.

Thank you my friends, to my very simple mind if I attach the twin black wires (giving out 6v) to the alternator case, which in turn is bolted to the engine will I not be creating a short. There is a tapped hole in the case for the connection which is on reflection where they were connected I think.

Connections to Alternator

ADVERC GREEN - Field brush (or modified regulator).

ADVERC BROWN - Low current output (Ind, D+, 61, L terminal etc.)

ADVERC BLACK - (Twin leads) B- terminal or case if earth return.

ADVERC BLUE - B+ terminal (see Section 4 SPLIT-CHARGING: Blocking-diode)

maybe there shouldn't be 6 volts on it which is why its strapped to the negative

Thank you my friends, to my very simple mind if I attach the twin black wires (giving out 6v) to the alternator case, which in turn is bolted to the engine will I not be creating a short. There is a tapped hole in the case for the connection which is on reflection where they were connected I think.

I wouldn't concern yourself too much about this floating voltage you have measured unless you know the unit to be faulty. Follow the manufacturers installation instructions and connect the two black wires, in your case, to the alternator casing.

This arrangement does concern me too, I guess the volt drop on the alternator ground to battery negative is usually low so Adverc get away with it. However if there is a shunt in the battery negative there will be a volt drop....but then the Adverc battery monitor puts its shut on the positive side.

I assume the Sterling does also sense the battery negative? Then again the Adverc really does most of its stuff towards the end of the charge cycle when the currents and hence volt drops are lower. In my limited experience the isolator makes the volt drop.

....Dave

This arrangement does concern me too, I guess the volt drop on the alternator ground to battery negative is usually low so Adverc get away with it. However if there is a shunt in the battery negative there will be a volt drop....but then the Adverc battery monitor puts its shut on the positive side.

I assume the Sterling does also sense the battery negative? Then again the Adverc really does most of its stuff towards the end of the charge cycle when the currents and hence volt drops are lower. In my limited experience the isolator makes the volt drop.

....Dave

The Sterling DAR's connections are the same, with both black wires to alternator B- or casing if not isolated return. Hence my comment in post #6.