Living Afloat Layout

Freetochat

Featured Posts

I am currently planning a fitout of a 57/58 ft narrowboat for continuous cruising. It seems the usual layout from the stern is bedroom, bathroom, galley, living area. It seems to me that to reverse this would be better. The living area being close to the steerer for communication and less movement through the bedroom moving through the boat. Is there something that I have missed that will show I should have followed the norm!

I am currently planning a fitout of a 57/58 ft narrowboat for continuous cruising. It seems the usual layout from the stern is bedroom, bathroom, galley, living area. It seems to me that to reverse this would be better. The living area being close to the steerer for communication and less movement through the bedroom moving through the boat. Is there something that I have missed that will show I should have followed the norm!

The advantage of a quieter space (away from the engine) is the normal reason for the "usual" layout. I seem to think that there are more "reverse" layout boats being built at the moment, probably for reasons you suggest. However, a PMR or internal intercom system can overcome the communication problem - providing a cuppa just as easily :blink: Also looking ahead from the bows is a useful advantage of the forward saloon.

If you're planning on living on board in the winter, remember that the front (top) of the boat will tend to be the warmest, and that towards the rear, particularly low down, gets quite cold. Our engine room is like a fridge at the moment. Our main entrance is also at the front of the boat, so doesn;t cause us any problems.

Our layout is (front to back) galley, bathroom (corridor to the side), lounge, bedroom, engine room. Only thing we'd change is switching the lounge and bathroom.

I'd definitely recommend that you put the bathroom between the living room and bedroom, so that you don't have to walk over guests to go to the loo in the middle of the night.

I recently hired a 'reverse layout' and disliked it immensely, I felt enclosed (can only see out through side windows/portholes) when in the saloon. We found that we were sitting on the bed a lot of the time just to have a view.

Moley - Thank you for the link which seems to confirm the personal choice element of this and relatively few practical reasons.

The view from the saloon is a valid point, as is access through hatch and rear door of a trad stern. I had planned on a cratch and cover in the bow to increase storage, which may reduce view and of course reduced simplicity of access. Still much consideration and builder discussions to go, but I think I favour from the stern galley, diner, saloon, bathroom and bedroom.

Hi Free

I have the usual set-up, with stern: bedroom, bathroom, diner/2nd bedroom, galley, saloon. Having the loo between the two sleeping parts is really good. Also, I can shut doors between the end bedroom and the bathroom & 2nd bedroom - this is good if you have anyone other than close family staying - stick em in the end!

I like having the saloon at the bow because I only have a small bow seating area with a lift-up table in the middle. It's perfect for 2 people sitting out, but any more and it just spills into the saloon area without feeling cut-off or anyone sitting on beds. It's also a very light area in the saloon because of 4 windows and the glass door to the bow.

Moley - Thank you for the link which seems to confirm the personal choice element of this and relatively few practical reasons.

The view from the saloon is a valid point, as is access through hatch and rear door of a trad stern. I had planned on a cratch and cover in the bow to increase storage, which may reduce view and of course reduced simplicity of access. Still much consideration and builder discussions to go, but I think I favour from the stern galley, diner, saloon, bathroom and bedroom.

If I have a wide beam narrow boat or a Dutch barge that is exactly the layout I am planning

We went for something a little different:

Stern: saloon, galley, bathroom, bedroom, 2nd saloon (sofabed so can be guestroom)

We wanted to have a sociable area at both the bow and stern - without one of them being our bedroom. We use the stern as our main entry.

Sure the stern saloon is a bit smaller because of the other saloon, but we felt that this was the best layout for us (liveaboard).

That said, it is still a mess of tools and wood as we are still fitting out - but we're happy with it so far!

I have a "reverse" layout, although for me its the most logical way to lay the boat out... i dont see why so many people have the boats the other way round as long as you have good windows.

we have a cruiser stern and the main access is through the rear doors, so from the rear we have kitchen, saloon, bathroom, bedroom, front cratch

this is great because we have plenty of storage space on the back so we dont worry about having a small cratch area that we rarely use in winter, the kitchen has excellent ventilation with 2 windows, a side hatch and of course the main rear doors.

with the bedroom on the far front, it means no one has to cross though the bedroom while we are cruising to get a drink and it doesnt get wet/damp if we have the doors open at the back. also if we have friends round they dont need to go through our bedroom to get into the boat so it still feels private.

the saloon is in the middle, but we have a window on each side plus it shares the side hatch with the kitchen, so theres plenty of light and still a good view.

having the cratch lead directly from the bedroom effectively means we have a balcony off the bedroom, if we leave the doors open and half the cratch up, you cant beat that for excellent ventilation in the summer and an amazing view for breakfast "on the balcony"

Hi Free

We have just had our n/b built as a liveaboard, somewhat different to the trads! From the stern (which is our only means of entry/exit) we have a utility area and toilet, then the galley with side doors both sides of the boat, then the lounge, moving forward to the bathroom and main toilet, then into the bedroom (Fixed king size). We did away with the cratch having the steelwork carried forward right up to the hatch. To compensate for the loss of the cratch we have a large front window which opens outwards and gives a wonderful view forward. With large side windows, regardless of where you are in the boat, you have a great view of the outside.

No doubt this will horrify most boaters, but it seemed the most logical way of using available space.

Very interesting thread. I'm new to this website / forum and currently doing research into living aboard a narrowboat. I'm intending to buy a 57 / 58 ft new-build or perhaps second hand this summer, and continuously tour for a year and then look for a permanent mooring. I'm starting to think a saloon at the front is a good idea if you buy a traditional style. I want to maximise internal space so I will be getting a traditional rather than cruiser stern. I'm planning on having a 'den' at the rear, this will be an office / workshop: a place to tinker and mend. From the bow backwards, I want saloon, galley, bathroom, bedroom followed by the 'den'. Don't think I will bother with a dining area as such as I tend to eat at the settee anyway and it's just me and my dog that will be living there. My biggest concern is storage space. I have a lot of stuff and I'm currently selling most of it but I expect there will still be a lot I would like to keep.

Hello Blue Skies

I like the sound of a 'den'. I think that's why I originally wanted a boat with a Boatman's cabin and still love them, even if I didn't end up with one myself! Thinking about this, I realise I spend very little time at the stern cabin (my bedroom) at the moment as it's really cold down that end, away from the stove. I've moved forwards to sleep in my daughter's cabin, while she's away cos it's warmer. What I'm saying is that it may be worth looking at having a small stove or radiator in the stern as well as the forward saloon if you intend using it regularly over winter.

(p.s isn't planning for your ideal layout fun!?)

...it may be worth looking at having a small stove or radiator in the stern as well as the forward saloon if you intend using it regularly over winter.

(p.s isn't planning for your ideal layout fun!?)

Thanks, Carrie. Yes, that's a good idea and, yes, it is fun. :D I'm half wavering on the idea of getting more of a sea-going boat instead of a NB as I love the idea of a wheelhouse! I'm a big kid really. At the moment I'm planning on a NB as it will give me greatest flexibility in terms of touring and semi-permanent relocation to anywhere in the country.

The radiator in the stern den is a very good idea. Something under the desk to keep my toes warm! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Very interesting thread. I'm new to this website / forum and currently doing research into living aboard a narrowboat. I'm intending to buy a 57 / 58 ft new-build or perhaps second hand this summer, and continuously tour for a year and then look for a permanent mooring. I'm starting to think a saloon at the front is a good idea if you buy a traditional style. I want to maximise internal space so I will be getting a traditional rather than cruiser stern. I'm planning on having a 'den' at the rear, this will be an office / workshop: a place to tinker and mend. From the bow backwards, I want saloon, galley, bathroom, bedroom followed by the 'den'. Don't think I will bother with a dining area as such as I tend to eat at the settee anyway and it's just me and my dog that will be living there. My biggest concern is storage space. I have a lot of stuff and I'm currently selling most of it but I expect there will still be a lot I would like to keep.

Check out Maffis Boat under drawings.

On second thoughts PM me your email and I will send you a copy of Milly's layout.

Edited by Maffi