Advanced One or Two Day Courses

camperlove

Featured Posts

Could do with an advanced one or two day single handed operation course in the North but anywhere considered.

I could get by reading the excellent tips on this forum but it would be a bit of extra interest for me in my retirement, whilst looking for a boat.

Have done the basic RYA Helmsmans course and had a few weeks holiday on canals.

Please, no negative comments about a newbie doing an advanced course, It has to be better than doing nothing and being another loony on the canals!

Plus, I have 1000 hours flying experience and it is has many similarities with prop wash, engine torque, drift, headwinds, tailwinds and even the law side. I'm very technical and usually get it first time when it's explained to me.

Any ideas on reasonably priced tuition from an expert?

We run a single handing course - course is delivered by Charlie who is a liveaboard boater with many 100's of hours single handing experience. Based Barnoldswick but you can do it on your own boat when you buy one.

Thanks, not too far away, will look up your website

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, "Driving" a boat is like flying a tail dragger, if you have experience on those, Cub, Aeronca, Stearman ... low and slow. steer all the time.

only problem is to get the ball centred with the rudder.

You will do just fine, but as you know, even if we think, or not think we know it all, we can always pick up something useful, and there is different ways to do same thing, that might work better under some situations then other. a slight near miss when going into the locks isn't far from a bumpy landing, we do them sometimes as well, just as we do the finest greasers when no one looks.

The locks can be handled in different ways too, so good to learn, how to speed up the time in the locks.

fly safe, low and slow

Hi, "Driving" a boat is like flying a tail dragger, if you have experience on those, Cub, Aeronca, Stearman ... low and slow. steer all the time.

only problem is to get the ball centred with the rudder.

You will do just fine, but as you know, even if we think, or not think we know it all, we can always pick up something useful, and there is different ways to do same thing, that might work better under some situations then other. a slight near miss when going into the locks isn't far from a bumpy landing, we do them sometimes as well, just as we do the finest greasers when no one looks.

The locks can be handled in different ways too, so good to learn, how to speed up the time in the locks.

fly safe, low and slow

Hi

Thanks for the reply, you summed it up really well !

It is remarkably similar but when I ended up with with the bow and stern pinned to opposite banks in a strong crosswind, I thought maybe I could do with some extra advice !

Hi

Thanks for the reply, you summed it up really well !

It is remarkably similar but when I ended up with with the bow and stern pinned to opposite banks in a strong crosswind, I thought maybe I could do with some extra advice !

Advise or a bow thruster is equally good. they both have a place in your memoirs.

Could do with an advanced one or two day single handed operation course in the North but anywhere considered.

I could get by reading the excellent tips on this forum but it would be a bit of extra interest for me in my retirement, whilst looking for a boat.

Have done the basic RYA Helmsmans course and had a few weeks holiday on canals.

Please, no negative comments about a newbie doing an advanced course, It has to be better than doing nothing and being another loony on the canals!

Plus, I have 1000 hours flying experience and it is has many similarities with prop wash, engine torque, drift, headwinds, tailwinds and even the law side. I'm very technical and usually get it first time when it's explained to me.

Any ideas on reasonably priced tuition from an expert?

Where abouts are you located?

• 1 month later...

As a pilot you know the principals of propulsion, sounds like the only thing you need is experience, just go out boating to gain that.

You'll make mistakes and maybe get a bit embarrassed, but nothing serious so just smile through it

Go enjoy

Had an interesting conversation with a professional boater a few years ago on this subject and he said there would be very little demand for an advanced course, essentially because beginners would not do it and most experienced boaters, after just a few weeks of boating, honestly believe that they know everything there is to know. I think sadly there is some truth in his observation.

...........Dave

If you hadn't finished up across the cut like that you'd have been held flat against the lee bank by the wind anyway, and really struggling to get away from it with nobody to help by shafting the fore end out. The combination of light, shallow draught , slab sided boats and a strong wind can get anybody into a mess, no matter how good or experienced you are. One of the most useful things you can learn which will be a big help singlehanding is the ability to get a stoprope from somewhere a few feet forard of the stern end to a bollard ashore and, keeping the prop turning, run against it, which will bring the boat flat against the bank and hold it there.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Had an interesting conversation with a professional boater a few years ago on this subject and he said there would be very little demand for an advanced course, essentially because beginners would not do it and most experienced boaters, after just a few weeks of boating, honestly believe that they know everything there is to know. I think sadly there is some truth in his observation.

...........Dave

I think you are correct.

The hardest guests we had to deal with in the hire fleet were those who announced they were experienced. We still spent time with them and the variation of 'experienced' was quite interesting.