A welcome return!

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

After a brief trip in early August, I removed some of our K3's coolant distribution pipework because there were annoying pin-hole leaks in some of the soldered joints. The repair work was expertly undertaken by Richard of Primrose Engineering (RLWP in Canalworld) and after collecting all the bits and making new gaskets I re-assembled the lot yesterday. For the first time I used 'Heldite' gasket jointing compound and I am extremely pleased with the result. My previous choice 'Hermatite Red' has been discontinued but 'Heldite' is highly recommended by the steam and stationary engine fraternity.

Just one flanged joint failed to seal initially and I found that this was because the 3/8 BSF bronze/gunmetal bolts had obviously been stretched when tightened on a previous occasion so, although they 'tightened' on the stretched portion of the thread, there was insufficient compression on the joint to make it tight - in the short term this was solved by using a thicker gasket but, in the course of time, I will probably have new bolts made to replace the stretched originals.

The engine is now back in running order and running very nicely - which means that it will no longer be necessary to bow-haul 'Alnwick' to Cropredy Wharf for fresh water! And, after a gap of almost three months, it is really nice to hear that familiar Kelvin sound again . . .

The engine is now back in running order and running very nicely - which means that it will no longer be necessary to bow-haul 'Alnwick' to Cropredy Wharf for fresh water! And, after a gap of almost three months, it is really nice to hear that familiar Kelvin sound again . . .

No mean feat - past all the long line of brightly coloured boats, taking special care by that purplely one.....

No mean feat - past all the long line of brightly coloured boats, taking special care by that purplely one.....

....whose skip took part in the bow-hauling duties on one occasion! (Graham didn't bump us that time at least).

....whose skip took part in the bow-hauling duties on one occasion! (Graham didn't bump us that time at least).

Fortunately that was the only occasion! And I guess that says something about the capacity of Alnwick's fresh water tank! Although I will admit to wheeling a fully loaded lavatory cassette in a wheelbarrow on another occasion - no purple paint marks on the wheelbarrow either . . .

THREE MONTHS?!!!

ninja.gif

MtB

Well not quite three months - we did a bit of boating (on a hire boat) around the Ionian Sea in between . . .